Two: A story unfolds

CRIMSON OCEAN

Where am I? Am I dreaming this? I feel a pleasant breeze. ...I hear a voice from somewhere... I wonder who it is?

"Hello? Wake up, please wake up.." 

I don't know how long that ray of sunlight had been peeking through the gap in my eyelids before it found its way to my mind; nor do I know how long it took me to become aware of it. All I wanted was to continue lying on this soft spot I am currently on. I fought hard to ignore that errant voice, to get back to my dream, but the moment had passed. 

I rubbed my knuckles into my eyes to drive away the grogginess. Ow the light.... But hey, fresh air! I slowly lifted up my eyelids.

There was a girl, bending over looking ever so innocently at me with her straight, obviously rebonded dark maroon hair, down. There were about ten navy coloured rubber bands around her wrist and a black studded wristlet. She had big, gorgeous and adorably droopy chestnut brown eyes that were really captivating. Despite her being dressed in a black tanktop and knee length military cargo pants that supposedly make females look defiant, she was not near there at all. 

"Hey! Oh good! You've finally came to. I guessed you passed out..... earlier?" Her not so high, not so low, just right voice spoke.

Refreshed, I stretched my arms and turned my head sideways to feel and see my surrounding. Soft, lush, dewy green grass. It is the best place to sleep on. I got up, still a little groggy. She offered her hand and helped me get up.

"Where is this?" I asked, scratching my head.

"Hi! I'm Shan, nice to meet you!" Smiling widely, offering her right hand for a hand shake. "So, who might you be? I haven't seen your face around before.."

I shook hands with her firmly and noticed that my hands looked different. I looked at Shan's hands and it was slightly different too. Am I still human? I looked at my legs, it looked good. I checked my face by touching it all around, it seemed pretty good too. But my hands? It was like as if the skin around each gap between every finger was stretchier and higher up. It looked... webbed. I knew it, immediately something was wrong. 

Why am I here?

What is this place? 

Why are my hands like this?

Am i still in my world?

Where the heck am I?

"Hey.... uhm.. are you alright?" Shan probed. I told her about my concerns about my hands and about my identity she responded with a chuckle.

"Oh! You're of the water element! I'm of the electric element! Hi!" She showed me her hands, it looked pretty much normal, except that her fingers were a little much more longer and the tip of it, along with the nails were sharp and narrow. Taken aback, I fell to the ground on my bum and told her that I don't belong here.

"I don't belong here. Where am I? Please, tell me.... I am not part of here." I said. 

"Hah? You're don't belong here...? But any way which i look like you, you look like a normal Crimsoner" she responded with her right eyebrow up, amused.

Crimsoner?

"Crim... crimsoner?" I said, stuttering. What the heck is a crimsoner? I am a crimsoner? Just who am I? What-

"Crimsoner! Red world? Crimsons? Are you a- Are you from Ocean?! Are you a spy? Are you a undercover? Please do not hurt me! I am low leveled please don't do anything I-" She said with her hands over her head, on the verge of crying.

"Relax! I'm no Ocean.. nor Crimsoner. What's going on, Shan? Shan? Please, help!" Confused.

"Oh phew....... You scared me. Anyway.... i'm not THAT lowly leveled.... I mean I.." she tried to laugh and change the subject. "Anyway, what's your name?"

"Oh my name.... Uh my name's Jan."

"Jan........? Jan.. Hahaha!! That's a funny name!" She chuckled while tying up her hair into a high ponytail.

I still have no idea what is going on. Ocean? Crimson? Webbed hands? Water, electric element? I am on the verge of bursting. I have so many questions to ask i have so many doubts to clear I-

"Somebody! Please help me!" 

"Hah? I heard someone yell.. Jan did you?" Shan looked around. I heard it too, it was a high sort of motherly voice. It was worrying, a cry of help, SOS.

A lady with wings in a floral maxi sundress came flying, but landing on the ground every two seconds, severely injured. My face went slack, mouth widely opened, body unmoving, and color draining from my face as I stare wide-eyed at her. Human with wings?! I just froze up to a point where I can hardly breathe, but when shock begins to melt away, everything returns slowly. I realised that right wing was slightly torn and she was submerged in tears and frozen in shock. Shan and I tried calm her down but to no avail. 

I let out a sudden sigh, opened my mouth trying to speak. Then it just snapped shut. I just felt like I can't control myself from this state of shock. Gulp. Then with a little more success, I managed to ask,

"What's wrong ma'am?" but it came out raspy, barely audible. Feeling light-headed and possibly disoriented, my mind begins buzzing with too much information. I wiped my brow, trying to block the memory out in order to cool off. Finally, she gathered enough breath and energy to speak.

"A huge fissure opened in the ground, and my young son fell in! He's too young to crawl out by himself! When I went to get my baby, Oceaners and other monsters suddenly attacked me! I don't know what Oceaners were doing there, but they just stole all of my berries! Please help my son!" She cried anxiously panting after every word. "I lost my wristcher, so I couldn't call for help! Are you a rescue team? Please, help!" 

"You were attacked? BY OCEANERS? AND MONSTERS?" Shan cried in horror.

"The monsters must've been enraged by the fissure... and have gone out of control! That's what I think.. Oh what will become of my baby? Please help!"

"Well Jan, we can't just stand here and watch a mother suffer and let that kid die, let's go!" Shan pressed a rubber band of hers into my palm and ran forward. I tied my hair up, combed up all my fringe into a high ponytail, it did take a little trouble because of my 'new' hands though. Still full of doubts, I knew it couldn't let that kid die. Did she say rescue team? What? Oceaners? Who are they? I ran after Shan as the mother cried again "It's the Freedom Woods!" 

Freedom woods? Rescue team? Oceaners? I am a Crimsoner? As all these jumble up in my mind, I ran after Shan, preparing for I think will be a adventure to look for her son. I hope nothing happens to me. Or Shan. Or that mother. Mostly not that kid. How old is he? 

Bewildered, baffled, puzzled and glassy-eyed. That is just all me now. Full of doubts. Where are we heading to? Did she say Freedom Woods?