Chapter 5: Grounded

The other side of Change [Hiatus]

Kyuhyun

April, 23d 2007; 4.00PM; Seoul Hospital, South Korea

“Every now and then I think he moved his hand or fingers, but it’s probably just my imagination.” I heard female voice. It was quiet, but I recognized it immediately. So Min

I slowly opened my eyes and looked at her just when she sadly smiled and looked at me. Her eyes shot wide open and released her phone so it fell on the ground. I looked around, confused at unfamiliar room, and then back at So Min, my lips curling up in a smile.

“Kyu!” she screamed, suddenly tears streaming down her cheeks, jumped on the bed and hugged me tightly around my neck.

“Ugh,” I let a weird noise out of my mouth. What? I thought and looked around the room again.

“You’re alive!” she exclaimed and buried her face into my neck, slightly tickling me.

“O-of co…” I tried to say, but my voice faded into thin air. My eyes widened once I wanted to try to talk again, but just like before my voice trailed into thin air.

“Wait, I’ll call doctor,” she said and ran out of the room. I was still shocked from unable to say a thing. But one thing I did realize and remember. I was in a car accident and now I’m in hospital.

I looked around the room, until So Min ran back into room surprising me.

“I’m not dreaming…” she smiled, crying…again.

“Why…” I tried to say again, but couldn’t. Why are you crying? I’m alive… I thought while she walked to my side.

“Don’t talk, pabo…” she chuckled, pressed finger on my lips and looked at doors when someone suddenly walked inside. I looked towards doors as well and saw doctor and nurses.

“Omona,” he murmured surprised. “I thought Eun So was kidding when she said you’re awake.” He let a chuckle out and walked to the other side. “How are you feeling, Mr. Cho?” he asked.

Just when I tried to open my mouth and answer him, So Min said: “He tries to talk, but can’t…” I glared at her, but later nodded in agreement.

“Your younger sister is really pretty.” He smiled, making So Min’s cheeks turn into light shade of pink, when Eun So suddenly chuckled. I glared at doctor already killing him in my head zillion of times in different ways.

I’ll never hand So Min to anyone!! I yelled in my head. Why can’t I talk?! I was frustrated and kept glaring at doctor.

“Ya, he was just kidding!” pouted So Min and crossed her arms, rolling with eyes. I glared at her, but softened and looked back at doctor wanting to hear what happened.

“You’re probably wondering what happened, right?” he asked.

You’re reading my mind. I nodded and tightened a fist unknowingly.

“On that question, your sister will tell you.” he smiled and looked at her.

She? She wasn’t with me on that show? How can she tell me? I was confused, while doctor continued: “As for your condition,” grabbing my attention. “Everything will be fine. You had some broken ribs, problems with hip, but everything is fine now, after the operation.” He smiled.

Broken ribs? Problems with hip? What happened? I was afraid.

“You’ll be in hospital until you recover and then be on “vacation” for few months, until you get completely better, okay?”

Vacation? I have stuff to do! I nodded, though I clearly won’t rest. Guys are probably worrying about me. Now that I remember…where are they? While doctor and So Min talked about something I was observing So Min.

She has changed… I thought when she suddenly glared at me. Nope, she’s still the same. I wrinkled my nose and looked away.

“Well, I’ll leave you two alone, so you can talk.” Smiled doctor and left the room with Eun So and two more nurses. Once the doors closed, I looked straightly at So Min, waiting for her to start talking.

“So impatient!” she rolled with her eyes and sat on the sofa, where her eyes suddenly wandered to the ground. I glared at her, wanting to hear what happened, but she just murmured: “I’ll talk, wait a minute!” and leaned down to pick up her phone. She stared at phone for a while, smiling sadly. I was getting worried, because I’ve never seen her like that.

“What are you looking at?” she growled and hit me. “I’m fine,” she murmured and looked down on her phone. “You want to hear what happened, right?” she asked and looked back at me.

Yeah, I nodded, without taking eyes away from her.

“Well,” she started and took a deep breath. “On what they said on news, you had an accident. The driver suddenly didn’t have any control on the van anymore, so … yeah, accident.” She chuckled bitterly. My eyes widened, but I kept calm, though my heart was beating fast.

“You were the most injured,” she continued. “And the doctors even thought you won’t survive if they don’t do surgery, through your throat, which would definitely damage your vocals.” She stopped and looked down. I could see tears filling her eyes.

My throat? My eyes widened even more. I touched my throat to see if they really did it, but I couldn’t feel a thing. Everything was just like before.

“But then dad said,” she started again, catching my attention “that they have to find another way for your operation, because you would rather die than live unable to sing.”

My eyes shot wide open. Dad said that? Dad, who was against singing, said that they have to find another way? I thought.

“Dad, who was against you singing, saved your voice, though there were less than 20% of chances for you to survive.” She held my hand and tightened it, when suddenly tears were filling my eyes. “He was sick worried about you. Including mom, Ara and I. We all were and I swear I would come to wherever you’d be and kick your ass, because you would break our promise.” She said quietly.

A smile formed on my lips as tears started streaming down my cheeks and pulled her into tight embrace. She laid beside me and buried her face into my chest, letting tears to stream down her cheeks.

Everything will be fine. I thought and kissed her head, gently stroking her hair.

“I know,” she nodded with broken voice. I sad smile appeared on my lips as I hugged her more tightly. She looked so fragile at the moment. I want her to protect her. I want to protect her from dad.

Days were passing by. So Min was with me day and night, taking care of me, while she was studying as well. When I could talk normally, which was two days after I woke up, I asked where are others, she told me that mom and dad had some business to do in Busan, while Super Junior has something to do about album, so they left as well. I was a little sad, but she soon cheered me up, with showing me her piano skills. I never knew she can play piano which surprised me a lot.

One evening, when I was sleeping, or so she thought, I listened to her talk on the phone.

“I don’t want to play piano, seonsaeng-nim.” She sighed. I slowly opened my eyes and saw her looking through window. “What if my father sees me? I’m sure he’ll be on a festival.” She closed her eyes and leaned her forehead on the window.

Festival? I thought and narrowed my eyebrows as I kept listening to her talking with her teacher.

“You’re threatening me since the first day you saw me playing piano?!” she suddenly raised her voice. “What difference it would make if you’d tell to my father or if he’ll see me playing? None!”

I have to think of something. I looked around the room, but soon closed my eyes, before So Min could see that I’m already awake.

“I’ll think about it…” she said coldly and hanged up.

I slowly opened my eyes and looked at her. She kept looking through window hardly thinking about something.

“So Min,” I called her.

She kept staring outside.

“So Min,” I called her once again, but just like before she was staring out. Letting a sigh out, I looked towards doors, where Eun So walked inside.

“I see you’re awake,” she smiled, looking at me.

“N-nae,” I nodded and looked at So Min who kept staring through the window, without noticing Eun So.

“Don’t worry, she’ll be fine.” She said quietly and put plate of lunch in front of me. “She’s just a little confused at the moment, but she’ll be perfectly fine.” She smiled.

“Omona,” So Min suddenly looked in my way. “You’re already awake?” she smiled, walked to me and sat on the bed.

“Nae,” I nodded, smiling lightly. I can’t show that I’m worried about her, otherwise she’ll think that something’s wrong and she’ll try in every way to know what. “Why don’t you go home and take a rest?” I asked.

“I’m perfectly fine,” she bitterly chuckled.

Liar

“I’m staying up late either way, so there aren’t any problems.” She said and looked at food in front of me. “Are you going to eat all that?” she suddenly asked. “I mean, you can’t all of this…” she smiled widely.

“You can help me,” I smiled and took spoon in the hand. “Let me feed you,” I said and shoved it in front of her mouth. She opened her mouth with wide smile on her face, letting me to feed her.

A week has passed by, which I realized when mom and dad walked into room. Mom immediately hugged me tightly, while dad was smiling from ear to ear, but before he glared at So Min. I worriedly looked at her, but kept a smile on my face. I knew too well that she was suffering, but I had no idea what to do.

***

“Abeoji,” I called him two days before Spring Festival on their school.

“Dae?” he asked happily.

“I overheard So Min’s phone call few weeks ago.” I started and closely observed him.

“And?” he asked, confusion written on his face.

“She’s playing piano.” I said straight forward. I could see his vein on neck started showing when I said this sentence. “And I want to ask you a favor.” I added. He didn’t say a thing, but let me continued. “I want to go on Spring Festival that her school is holding.” I smiled lightly.

“Arraseo,” he coldly answered. A wide smile formed on my lips as I couldn’t wait to see her play, though deep inside I was worried and to be worser; these two days passed by way too quickly.

I was sitting on a chair, when the Festival suddenly started. On the stage there was a woman, in late twenties, and started talking: “Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming on tonight’s spring festival in Seoul High School.” There was a round of applause, before she continued.

“And for today’s first composer, we have a high scholar who doesn’t show her talents, but when she does, everyone is amazed; our Cho So Min.” she said and we all clapped once again. I looked at dad who was angrily looking at So Min who walked on the stage in her black dress.

She’s beautiful, I thought and smiled lightly. She bowed and walked towards piano where she sat down and placed her hands on piano keys. The whole play, everyone was quiet. I glanced at dad and saw a brief smile on his lips, but when I looked at mom she was angrily looking at her.

When she ended and bowed she looked straight at us. Her smile faded away while her eyes widened widely. I could see she started shivering when she quickly walked off the stage. All three of us stood up and walked out of the hall.

“So Min!” coldly called dad after her when he saw her standing and looking up into sky. She slowly turned around, but only to suddenly cover her left cheek after mom slapped her. My eyes were wide from the shock and so were dad’s and So Min’s.

“E-eomma?” I was shocked.

“How dare you play piano?!” she gritted behind her teeth. “Are you trying to imitate Kyuhyun-ah?!”

“No,” she coldly answered. “I’m playing piano for a while already and the person that inspired me by it was Yiruma.” Her voice was cold and I swear shivers went down my spine.

“Yiruma?!” mom said in a high pitched voice. “You are not allowed to leave house for a year! You’re only allowed to go to school and then straight back home! If I see you with any piano sheets or anything related to music, you’ll be grounded for the rest of your life.” She threatened. My eyes were wide open, because I’ve never seen mom so furious about it, while So Min blankly stared in the ground.

“Do you understand?” she asked coldly.

“I understand.” So Min coldly answered back.

“Now get in the car and that I don’t see you coming out of the room until you know that law book by head.” She said angrily.

“So Min,” I called her, but she was already gone from our sights. “Eomma!” I whined and looked at her. Only now she realized what she has done. She buried her face into her hands and sobbed quietly. Dad embraced her in a hug while I walked after So Min.

“So Min,” I called for her, but she didn’t look at me. She just blinked few times, trying to hold her tears back. “She’s sorry,” I whispered and pulled her in a hug. She didn’t say or do a thing, which worried me a little and to be even worse; the whole ride back home was like a nightmare to me. So Min kept looking down at her hands, while mom tried to talk with her, but without success.


A/N

I know...it sucks... -___-

I tried to update yesterday, but I didn't finish it, because I was busy with all stuff I have to do. This High School is draining me, I tell ya...

I'll try to update next Saturday or Sunday so please anticipate (I don't know if I wrote this right or not lol)

And as I promised, this chapter is in another POV. Maybe I'll leave it like that for a while, but who knows. :P

Comment and subscribe

MiharuRaeJin