Chapter 7.

Of Love and Something More

Jonghyun stands, leaning against the familiar gates of the school. Chatter surrounds him and occasional students walk by, some alone, some in groups. The scuffing off their shoes against the granite floors make for a confused beat to the underlying swish of the wind but Jonghyun pays no attention as he idly hums a tune.

He drums a steady rhythm against the brick pillars, drowning out the sounds to just a barely perceptible drone. Suddenly, his head lifts and Jonghyun turns, his face gathering together into a smile. A familiar figure welcomes his sight and he approaches Jonghyun, lightly jogging.

Jonghyun would know the sound of his footsteps anywhere.

“I am sorry,” Jinki says, breaths slightly catching, “Did you wait long?”

“It’s ok,” Jonghyun begins leading the way out of school, “How is practice?”

“Great,” Jinki’s footsteps fall naturally beside his, “We have finally decided on a script.”

“Which is?”

“A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”

Jonghyun grimaces, “I will have to watch the drama club prancing about in tights and puffy clothes?”

Jinki laughs and jokingly pushes Jonghyun, “Don’t be mean. I am sure Costumes will come up with some flattering concepts for the cast.”

Grinning, Jonghyun replies, “No matter how they push the concepts, they can’t escape Shakespeare’s terrible fashion sense.”

“Who knows,” Jinki shrugs, eyes twinkling, “We may just put on a modernised version.”

“And blasphemed the classic? Oh no, no, no,” Jonghyun shakes his head dramatically, “I know you too well to be taken in, Director Lee. You will never allow that to happen.”

“Now,” Jinki says, “You are just making me sound like some obstinate old man.”

“But you are one,” Jonghyun lifts his eyebrows and wriggles them.

Jinki playfully punches Jonghyun, “Hey! I am in the same year as you are. If I am old, what does that make you?”

“Young,” Jonghyun grins, “Because I don’t have the tastes of an old man.”

“Coming from the person who has the exact pair of shoes I have,” Jinki retorts, lifting one of his legs mid-step as he tries to emphasise the point. He loses his balance as a result and stumbles off the pathway. Just when he is preparing himself for the painful impact of the gravelly road hitting his knees and hands, Jonghyun is there, grabbing at his elbows. He pulls Jinki into safety and the force spins him into his embrace.

Jinki can feel his heart beating slightly faster and feels the same erratic pulse from the chest of the other boy he is pressed against. The two remain silent for a moment, regaining their composure. A car drives past them, its engines bringing it smoothly down the road.

Jinki is the first to speak, “Thanks, Jonghyun.”

“Be careful,” Jonghyun says instead, as he guides Jinki to the left of the pavement, putting himself in between the boy and the traffic road. “I can’t be here to catch you every time.”

“I am sorry.”

“You have to take better care of yourself,” Jonghyun says and then moves to examine Jinki’s legs and arms for injuries, “You aren’t hurt anywhere, are you?”

“No, I am fine,” Jinki shakes his head and allows a small smile on his face.

Jonghyun continues patting down on Jinki’s legs for a moment more before he is satisfied. “That’s good then. And don’t play around when you are close to traffic, alright? We don’t know what may happen.”

“Yes, mum.”

“Don’t mock me.”

“Sorry, mum.”

“I am just worried for you. You get yourself hurt too often.”

“I only got hurt 4 times this year.”

“And that’s 4 times too many for me.”

“You are really cheesy, you know that, Kim Jonghyun?”

“You love me for it anyway.”

Jinki hums and pauses in his steps. With an utterly serious expression on his face, Jinki stares at Jonghyun and Jonghyun looks back questioningly. Jinki closes the gap.

“Well,” he says slowly as Jonghyun waits expectantly, “Maybe I do.” Jinki’s last three words are mixed with laughter and he ends them off with a quick peck to the nose. Without so much as waiting for a response, he then grabs hold of Jonghyun’s hand again and begins tugging on it as he makes to move down the pavement.

Jonghyun’s surprise lasts no longer than a second, and it is soon replaced with a grin as he follows along.

I love you too.