Chapter 6.

Of Love and Something More

 

“This is getting nowhere,” Jonghyun groans and buries his head into his arms.

“No.” Jinki replies, eyes not even looking up as he continues with his work.

“I didn’t even say anything.” Grumbling, Jonghyun lifts his head.

“I know what you are thinking of.” Jinki flips a textbook to a certain page and begins writing neatly onto the piece of paper before him, “You want a break.”

“We have been going at this for an hour,” Jonghyun complains, “An hour straight.”

“I’ve studied non-stop for four hours before.”

Jonghyun gasps and pretends to recoil in shock. “You are a monster,” he says with conviction.

“Seojin goes for cram classes and tuitions everyday,” Jinki states blandly, “She sleeps only at 2am in the morning.”

“She,” Jonghyun pauses for dramatic effect, “Is an even bigger monster than you are.”

“This is what I mean by smart people being smart because they put in effort.” Jinki switches his pen for a pencil and a ruler and starts dividing the paper into orderly sections.

“But I am tired,” Jonghyun tries appealing to Jinki’s better nature, “My vision is starting to blur.”

“Go back to your biology tutorial,” Jinki says, not even sparing him a glance.

Jonghyun makes a face at Jinki, “You are a cold-hearted stoodge.”

“I want you to finish it by 3. Then I can take a look over it before we move on to chemistry.” Jinki continues scribbling.

Jonghyun ignores Jinki's words and flops on his back, onto the floor from where he is sitting cross-legged on a cushion before a short coffee table. He slightly rolls about as he stretches his legs, easing the pins and needles that have settled from the long hours of sedentary sitting. His soles brush against Jinki's feet by accident and Jonghyun wriggles his toes experimentally.

"Jonghyun," comes the warning call ten seconds later when Jonghyun shows no signs of returning to his studies.

Jonghyun's eyes remain adamantly shut as he pretends he is in deep sleep. Jinki looks up and eyes the boy lying down across the table-- he can spot the fluttering of eyelashes and the movement of eyeballs behind eyelids. A faint smile lingers around the corner of his lips as a soft sigh escapes them.

"Jonghyun," Jinki calls out again. When no response seems to be forthcoming, Jinki bends down and pokes Jonghyun's left sole with the marker that happens to be in his hand. It leaves a bright blue spot behind. Jonghyun's big toe twitches. Jinki tries again, this time round going for his right sole instead. Jonghyun's toes wriggle irritatingly, but other than that, there are no further movements. A mischievous glint enters Jinki's eyes and he decides to draw a crescent across the two feet lying neatly to each other.

A smiley face. Jinki contemplates his art and decides to give some eyebrows and a fuller set of lips to his Mona Lisa. There, so much prettier.

Just as Jinki is in the midst of adding some blush to her cheeks, Jonghyun withdraws his feet and sits back up.

“Hey,” Jinki complains, upset at having his ‘canvas’ taken away from him.

“It’s ticklish,” Jonghyun says, pulling his feet towards him as he tries to see what Jinki was doing to his soles. He pauses as he stares hard at the bright blue ink staining his feet, “What is this?”

“A face,” Jinki replies evenly, crawling over as he drags Jonghyun’s feet into his lap again, “My unfinished masterpiece.” Putting the two neatly side by side, he begins applying the blue marker to Jonghyun’s skin.

“It’s a face?” Jonghyun asks as he tries to escape from Jinki’s grasp. “Stop that, it’s ticklish,” he laughs slightly when his efforts fail and Jinki doesn’t seem intent on completing any time soon.

“No, I refuse,” Jinki cheekily replies, holding down Jonghyun’s legs by their ankles.

“Really, stop it,” Jonghyun says laughingly as he squirms on the floor as Jinki redoubles his efforts in fleshing out his Mona Lisa.

“Not happening.”

“Jinki, it’s really ticklish.”

“Lalala, look at how beautiful she is.”

Looking at the boy before him, Jonghyun decides on a sudden course of action between his laughter to free himself from his predicament. Sitting up, he pushes forward, ignoring the ticklish sensation of the felt tip on his soles. He catches Jinki by surprise and successfully kisses him. Jinki’s hold on him loosens and the marker falls out his grasp. Jonghyun shifts himself into a more comfortable position, almost sitting in Jinki’s lap as he holds him tenderly in his arms.

When they finally separate, Jinki’s lips are pink and his hair mussed-up. Jonghyun thinks he has never seen someone so beautiful and he inches forth again, wanting to press a kiss to this perfection before him. Jinki, however, scoots away and moves back to his side of the table.

Running a hand through his hair as he attempts to fix it, Jinki looks away, pink dusting his cheeks. “Alright. Erm, break’s over.”


I will be on a hiatus for two weeks! Grad trip, hurray! :)