Chapter 3.

Of Love and Something More

 

"What flavour do you want?" Jinki asks, peering at the colourful selection of flavours displayed, breath slightly fogging up the glass.

Jonghyun has already taken out his wallet and is counting out the coins, ready to order. He stops to look at Jinki, "Haven't we already tried all the flavours long ago? And haven't we also decided on our favourites long ago too?"

Jinki shrugs, "Maybe you wish to revisit some of the other flavours."

Jonghyun frowns and scans the ice cream counter again. Vanilla is too creamy, strawberry too sweet, blueberry too artificial, mango sorbet too healthy, pistachio too nutty and mint too toothpaste-thy. Jonghyun comes to the same conclusion he arrived at months ago, he says, "Nah, it's ok. I will pass. Dark chocolate for me."

Jinki heaves a mock-weary sigh, "Where is the adventure in you, Jonghyun?"

"Having ice cream in a park during autumn is adventurous enough for me."

"You were the one who wanted to come here," Jinki lifts the bag of groceries hanging in his hands, "I wanted to go home straight and put down the detergent and peanut butter first, but you won't let me."

"I know you. Once you go back home, you won't come out till you are done with whatever duties or assignment you have that day. And I told you already," Jonghyun makes a grab at the bag, but is thwarted when Jinki swings them out of his reach, "Let me help you carry them."

"They are for my family, not yours. It doesn't make sense for you to carry them." Jinki points out.

"Can't we take turns at least?" Jonghyun suggests a concession.

"It's ok," Jinki brushes him off, "They aren't that heavy."

"Jinki."

"Don't 'Jinki' me. And I am not changing my mind anytime soon."

"Fine. I have changed my mind; I am not treating you anymore. We are going Dutch."

"But you already counted out the money?"

"I am keeping half of them now."

Jinki stares in silence as he watches Jonghyun carelessly dump a few coins back into the compartment. He purses his lips, blinks and smiles, "Don't think I don't know what you are up to, Jonghyun."

"A large cup please. Dark chocolate and cookies and cream." Jonghyun orders, ignoring Jinki's words. He then dumps the coins in his hand on to the counter before gesturing towards Jinki, "Go on. It's your turn to pay up."

"I can take out my wallet without putting down the groceries, you know." Jinki says.

"Go ahead then," Jonghyun invites as he takes over the cup of ice cream from the vendor, stepping back from the counter to allow Jinki space, "No one's stopping you."

Jonghyun watches on with vague amusement as Jinki struggles to do what he said he could do, attemping to retrieve his wallet from the backpack with little success. When the jar of peanut butter falls out as a result of the mini tussle that occurs, Jonghyun gives a "I told you so' look and bends down to pick it up. "Now, why don't you just hand me the bag or put it down on the floor and have me pick it up the next moment?"

Jinki shoots him an irritated look, "Why don't you come over and help me out instead? The ice cream is melting."

Jonghyun obligingly steps over and holds out his hands expectantly, "The grocery bag please."

Staring hard at him with a pair of pressed lips, Jinki finally hands over the said item begrudgingly. He says with affectionate frustration, "I won't die from carrying them."

"You won't. But you can share," Jonghyun replies, feeling the bite of the plastic handles into the flesh of his palms. He makes a face and amends, "You should. It's painful."

"You play the guitar," Jinki gathers up the cup of ice cream Jonghyun has placed on the counter. Leading the way to a park bench that the two of them particularly like because of the old maple tree that grows a few meters away, Jinki continues, "I figure you have enough callouses as it is."

"And you play the piano," Jonghyun gently retorts, "So it's a moot point. Both our hands are precious. Let's just share the burdens next time round."

Jinki simply shrugs helplessly before giving Jonghyun a light flick on his forehead with a fond smile, "You are adorable, you know that?"

Jonghyun does his best not to blush but he thinks he has probably failed judging by the heat he feels emanating off him. "The ice cream is melting," he distracts.

Jinki raises an eyebrow at him, "You mean it's freezing. The autumn air is acting like natural refrigerator."

"Just give me my spoon. I am hungry."

Jinki looks down at the innocuous cup sitting in his lap, where one plastic pink spoon proudly sticks up. He pats his pockets and checks Jonghyun's hands. He rummages about his backpack and peers into the grocery bag. With an embarrassed smile, he says, "I might have gotten one only."

"Jinki..." Jonghyun begins, a mischievous glint dancing in his eyes, "If you really want an indirect kiss so much, you could have just said so."

"I don't!" Jinki denies, light pink dusting his cheeks, "I got distracted with the way you kept trying to steal my groceries."

"Come now, just admit it." Jonghyun nudges him playfully. He then digs the spoon into the ice cream and aims a generous amount of cookies and cream ice cream at Jinki's mouth, "Here. Say 'ahhhhh.'"

Lightly pushing away the incoming spoon, Jinki blushes, "That's not it. I genuinely forgot."

“Let me feed you,” Jonghyun pays no heed, leaning over as Jinki backs away, “Open your mouth unless you want a noseful of ice cream.” The spoon comes dangerously close to the tip of Jinki’s nose.

Unwillingly, Jinki concedes defeat and eats the ice cream. Jonghyun smiles jubilantly and gives himself a spoonful of chocolate treat. Tilting his head to the side, Jinki squints his eyes at him, “Aren’t you the one who is having the indirect kiss now?”

Jonghyun shrugs, digging into the cookies and cream flavour again, “Here you go then. ‘Ahhhh’.”

“I told you already, I don’t want an indirect kiss.” Jinki shakes his head.

“Alright, you don’t.” Jonghyun grins, “But I want to feed you.”

“That’s really cliché.”

“It’s ok. Let’s be cliché together till our hair turn grey and the world ends.”

Jinki turns wordless for a moment. He ducks his head and re-arranges his bangs, causing it to fall across his eyes, hiding them from the frighteningly honest gaze of Jonghyun’s. He fiddles with his fingers which has turned cold from holding the cold dessert. “You are hopeless,” he mumbles.

Jonghyun allows a wide smile to spread across his face. He reaches out to take Jinki’s chilled hands into his warm hold and leaning over, presses a kiss onto his lips. Jinki blinks once and kisses back.

Their lips are cold, but that changes soon enough.


I am still tapping upon past archives. But I have gotten over it already, thank you for your concern :) 24 hours seem to be sufficient for me to shrug off things.