Chapter 4.

Of Love and Something More

 

“The white ones,” Jonghyun declares decisively after a moment of analysis.

 

“I prefer the black pair,” Jinki comments.

 

“No, the white pair is cooler,” Jonghyun disagrees, pushing the glass door open as a clear tinkle rings.

 

“If you say so,” Jinki says easily, “But I will still take the black pair over the white ones any time of the day.”

 

“You are just biased.”

 

“Aren’t these things all about personal preferences anyway?”

 

“Well. Yes. I guess.” Jonghyun pauses and looks around for the shop assistant, “Anyway, I want to try on the white pair.”

 

“Ok,” Jinki says. He scuffs his feet as they wait and stares at the image in the mirror, “Do you think I should get a new pair of shoes too?”

 

“Didn’t you say your shoes are new?”

 

“I mean it’s 8 months old when I say new.”

 

“You really take good care of them.”

 

“I don’t kick stones around—“ Jinki is interrupted by the creak of a swinging door and a lady emerges from the storage room, a welcome on her lips. Jonghyun and Jinki stop in their conversation and nod politely.

 

Jonghyun points to the pair of white sport shoes in the display and says, “I would like to try this please. Size 8. And the black pair as well, size 9.”

 

The shop assistant returns to the storage room, the two shoes in hand. Jinki turns back to Jonghyun and looks at him questioningly. Jonghyun simply arches his eyebrow back at him.

 

Jinki speaks when that seems to be his only response, “You know my shoe size?”

 

“Yup,” Jonghyun admits. He stops for a moment and considers Jinki’s surprised expression. He continues, “Do you know mine?”

 

Jinki replies quickly, “Size 8.”

 

Jonghyun frowns and he catches the whiff of an evasion, “You know that before or do you know it only now?”

 

His answer comes far too quickly. “Before.” Jinki says immediately and looks to the racks of shoes displayed, pointing to a grey pair, “That’s a really nice design.”

 

Silence elapses and Jinki’s palms begin to perspire. He has been caught. Why does he even try?

 

“Grey is your hated colour. And you are a horrible liar, Jinki.” Jonghyun states softly.

 

Jinki looks to the mirror and refuses to meet Jonghyun’s eyes. A guilty expression flitters across his face and stays. Jonghyun stands up to move over to the front of Jinki.

 

“It’s ok if you don’t know my shoe size,” Jonghyun says when Jinki finally looks down and their eyes lock, “You don’t have to lie.”

 

Jinki murmurs, breaking eye contact as he pretends the granite floor is far more interesting, “I feel as if I am a horrible boyfriend. You know mine, but I don’t know yours.”

 

“You can just say so. I won’t get mad,” Jonghyun promises, leaning his forehead against Jinki’s. Jinki looks up and their noses brush against each other. Jonghyun smiles at the skin contact and he nuzzles slightly against the other boy. The two of them stay in that position, smiling at each other, unmoving. If only this moment can last forever, they think in their hearts.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“It’s ok. But you better memorise my shoe, shirt and pants size now.”

 

Jinki laughs and he bumps his forehead lightly at Jonghyun. Affectionately fixing the other’s bangs for him, he agrees, “Ok. Tell me now.”

 

“8. 30. 32.”

 

“Got them,” Jinki declares after five seconds. He then begins playing with Jonghyun’s hands. Holding up the left one, he taps at the fourth finger, “What is its size then?”

 

“What?”

 

“Your finger size.”

 

“What?” Jonghyun furrows his brows in confusion.

 

“I need to know. It’s really important.” He encircles the finger meaningfully.

 

Jonghyun frowns in befuddlement before realisation hits him and has him blushing. “Oh.” He says insightfully.

 

Jinki’s eyes crinkle. “Oh.” He echoes.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“We can find out later.”

 

“Ok.”

 


I have finally mastered the art of skiving off at work :) Wrote this yesterday on a particularly slow morning.

Too bad I already handed in my resignation letter last Friday haha.