Fight for What She's Worth

The One That Got Away

“Class dismissed,” these two words from the professor never failed to cheer the students. Eunyoung stretched her arms while her classmates started to leave the classroom. She was putting down her now-stretched arms when she looked at that sapphire blue band wrapped around her left wrist. Pink tinted her flawless cheek as she remembered what happened last night. She didn’t realize she was the last one stayed in the class, until her cell phone rang.

Just by seeing the caller name already made her smile ear to ear. “Yes, oppa?”

“Is your class finished? I’m almost there,” he said without losing his concentration on the road.

“Yes, it just finished. I’ll go down now then,” she replied while draping her bag on her shoulder. She walked out of the class in quick pace.

“Okay, I’m here. I’ll wait by the lobby then,” he ended the conversation. He reached the lobby first, so he stopped there since no other cars queuing behind him.

It was only about 2 minutes when he saw her walking out of the elevator. His heart began to race as she was getting closer. He smiled. His smile came from the heart, and it reached his eyes. He opened the window, letting her to see that smile. She went to the passenger side and got in the car.

“Did you wait long?” she was worried and happy at the same time. Seyong shook his head as he stepped on the accelerator. He unintentionally caught a glimpse at her hand, and saw his then-bracelet was there. It looked so perfect on her hand, as if it was actually made for her. When they were on the main road, he took her hand as his other hand was on the wheel.

“Should we watch movie today?” he asked. Eunyoung, with that wide smile that hadn’t left her face since she picked up the phone, nodded and hugged his arm for a moment. But she suddenly sat straight and looked at him.

“I don’t want to watch horror or thriller movies. Alright, oppa?” she demanded. She could tolerate worst jokes in comedy movies, or lamest fighting scene in action movies. But not horror or thriller, no.

Seyong turned his head to her for a second before focusing on the road again. “Yes, ma’am.”

He intertwined his fingers with hers.

***

“Hongbin-ah, have you called the kids?”

The dongsaeng pointed out his thumb to his leader, on which his leader nodded. “Hold these tickets for me, would you? I need to go to the restroom,” N said as he handed Hongbin the movie tickets.

Hongbin was comfortably waiting for his hyung when he caught a boy and a girl he knew well, walking in to the theatre. His back straightened and his eyes were narrowed. The two were holding hands, which raised Hongbin’s curiosity even more. Right on that moment, the girl turned her head, exposing her face to him. His jaw dropped. He wouldn’t mistake that goddess-like beauty for any other girl. He then moved his eyes to the person beside her, who was now patting her head gently.

This time, his stomach fell. Kim Seyong. One of the few brilliant students of Seoul University of Art, who could finish his education in 3 years and debuted right after. Eunyoung noona and… Kim Seyong??

That thought lasted for only a second after, as he found an emergency: Cha Hakyeon. Yes, his hyung. Hakyeon might have never spilled it out from his own mouth, but Hongbin knew him well enough to see that Hakyeon’s feeling towards Eunyoung was deeper that it may seem.

Hongbin was in a panic state when he realized Eunyoung and Seyong weren’t there. He decided to go and tell his hyung first so N could at least prepare himself. He was just a second away from N when the couple got to confront him first. Hongbin stopped as the thing he was trying to avoid, was actually happening in front of him. It was exactly like he had thought, as he saw N froze and his face turned pale.

Every muscle in his body was petrified. He felt a giant cudgel just smacked his head as the reality was laid right before him, crystal clear. His eyes fixated on their interlocked hands, and a beautiful bracelet on hers. A bracelet he never saw. But that didn’t hurt him as much as seeing how tight she clasped her hand in her partner's.

“Hakyeon oppa,” Eunyoung’s voice was vague as he felt the girl in front of her slowly went further. Seyong, who didn’t know anything about those two, reached out his hand to his senior. Well, as in age, N was his senior. The humble Seyong never thought himself as senior for graduating and debuting first, and he always respected his seniors.

It was Seyong’s hand that brought Hakyeon’s sanity back. He tried to smile as he welcomed Seyong’s hand, making it as natural as he could. “What are you guys watching?” he asked to avoid awkward atmosphere.

“Beautiful Creatures. Jiyou said it was good,” Eunyoung answered at ease, no longer shaking as she used to.

“Ah, I see. Well, have a good time, then. See you,” N couldn’t hold his fake smile any longer, so he bid himself goodbye before his emotions showed.

N grabbed Hongbin’s arm, tugging his dongsaeng along with him. “Call the kids, tell them I’m going home. You guys go and watch the movie,” he said in a flat tone. Hongbin, without any question, did as he told. N patted his arm before leaving the theatre. Hongbin whose heart was completely uneasy could only remind N to drive safely.

***

N reached Vixx’s dorm in 10 minutes, despite it was actually a half-an-hour drive. He could barely think straight, as it was suddenly downed on him that the girl whom he thought would never leave, had left. A girl whom he didn’t realize her worth until the truth knocked on his door. He threw himself on the sofa in the living room as he closed his eyes. Heaven knew how he wanted to go back to that theatre and take her with him. But he obviously knew that it wouldn’t be good for her… relationship. He felt twinge in his left chest.

N hit his own chest as he was suffocating. He was gasping for some air when he opened the closest window. He sat there for a while, catching his breath. He then thought that being sober wasn’t the biggest help right now, so he let his legs led him to the kitchen. He open the cupboard and found liquors in there. He took Vodka and poured it to his glass. His throat was burned but he didn’t care.

When he was on his fifth shot, message notification from her cell phone rang. N reluctantly took his cell phone and managed to read the text. It was from Hongbin. N really wanted to smile when he was reading his text, but the smile just wouldn’t come out. But it was Hongbin’s last part of the text which fired him up.

Hyung, love is not always about giving up. It is also about fighting for all that is worth, and preserving what you have today. Every love deserves a chance, hyung. Hence, fight!

N sprang out of his dorm. He had made up his mind. He had to fight for her if he wanted to have her back. It had been 3 hours since he left the theatre, so he assumed their movie was finished. He filled one parking space without any thought of parking his car properly. Only one thing, one person on his mind, Joo Eunyoung.

As soon as he entered the theatre, his eyes searched every corner of it. No sign of Eunyoung. He was intending to see the movie schedule when his eyes found her, just about to leave the theatre.

“Joo Eunyoung!” his mouth reacted faster than his brain. The owner of the name looked around to see who was calling and stared in confusion when she found him.

N took five big steps which brought him in front of her. “Joo Eunyoung, don’t go. Stay with me.”