Fate, He Said?

The One That Got Away

“Hakyeon-ah, is Eunyoung okay? She looks pale,” Jiwon asked, sincerely worried. N gulped as he kept arranging the table, avoiding Jiwon’s eyes.

“Maybe… Her body is unwell, I think. She didn’t say,” N blurted the only excuse he could think of at the moment.

Jiwon felt something was fishy. “Did you guys… fight?” she guessed. His hand stopped in the air as he was about to put the salad on the table. Seeing his reaction, Jiwon knew she was right.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me, I’m just asking,” Jiwon shook her head as she smiled. She then looked at the table and realized all foods were served.

“All are set! Come, let’s eat,” Jiwon said to him and called the other members. N looked at the foods. There were salad, spaghetti, garlic bread, gunmandu, and ttokbokki.

“Noona, is there any kimbap?” he asked.

“No, I didn’t make it. You like kimbap?” Jiwon said while giving each of them their plates. N only smiled. “Ah, I don’t know that…” he heard Jiwon muttered.

If it’s Eunyoung, she would’ve made a box of kimbap… He thought to himself without him knowing. Wait, why did I suddenly think of her? He was distracted for a few seconds but he put those thoughts away and enjoyed the lunch. N never liked pineapple, so he put aside all the pineapple in his salad.

They ate, laughed, and joked together. The other SPICA members also liked N, they thought of him as their little brother. After finishing the main course, Narae stood up to bring out the desserts. Jiwon also stood up to take their plates. N was going to do it for her, but she told him to sit.

“I’ll take care of it, just sit.” Jiwon took his plate too. Narae came and brought melons, pineapples, and pears. “Here comes dessert!”

Jiwon took a slice pineapple for herself. She then looked at N, and gave him a fork with pinapple on it. “Here, Hakyeon-ah!” she said as she ate hers. N forced a smile when he took the fork from Jiwon. She saw my plate, didn’t she? Didn’t she notice I put away all the pinapples? He looked at Jiwon, she was eating her pineapple. He heard her said to herself, “Ah, delicious! I really like pineapple.”

N didn’t know a bitter smile was curved on his face as he took his bite on the pineapple. His mind then went on its own, flashing back to one day when Eunyoung came to his practice room and brought fruit salad her mom made for all Vixx members. He remembered being confused as he found only 5 cups of them in the bag.

“Hakyeon oppa, here’s yours,” Eunyoung said as she fished out another cup from her bag.

He looked at her, not getting what she was doing. Eunyoung smiled when she explained, “That one doesn’t have pineapples in it. I told my mom to. Oppa don’t like pineapple, do you?”

N was stunned. The other members grumbled jokingly to show they envied their leader for having someone who understood and cared so much about him.

Boa’s laugh brought him back to reality. He looked at them, and then at Jiwon. She was still eating pineapple. N looked at the melon slices on the table. Eunyoung loves melon…

Meanwhile…

“Come!” Seyong said after he parked the car. They drove pretty far, and Eunyoung didn’t know the place but she liked it. They stopped by lakeside, a big lake. It was so beautiful that Eunyoung couldn’t find the word to describe it.

“How beautiful…” she whispered. She forgot her pain for a while as she was admiring the nature. “How do you know this place?” she asked Seyong who were also admiring the beauty—not the nature, but the girl beside him. It was good that she asked without looking at him, so he didn’t get caught dazing at her.

“This is a place I always come to whenever I’m feeling down. Brings me peace of mind,” he said, looking at the view.

It was so quite that they could only hear the wind, the falling leaves, and the flowing water. All of a sudden, something growled pretty loud for both of them to hear. Seyong turned his head and found Eunyoung was holding her stomach with her face turned red. She didn’t get to eat her lunch earlier due to the unexpected call. She was so embarrassed that she couldn’t look at him, she looked down instead and apologized.

“Sorry…” she said almost like a whisper. Seyong laughed hard, as he found the girl with him was more and more interesting. Eunyoung bent her down lower as she was embarrassed.

“Sorry, I’m not mocking you or anything, it’s just I can’t help not to laugh seeing you so embarrassed,” Seyong tried to explain. “You don’t have to be, it’s normal for people to get hungry, isn’t it? The other 6 billions people on earth get hungry every day,” he said.

Eunyoung hesitantly lifted her head to look at him, and she found his warm face there. Somehow, she felt very calm every time she saw him. She giggled when she said, “They do, don’t they?”

“Let’s get some food then,” Seyong pulled her hand. Eunyoung was confused. “We’re not taking the car?” she asked.

“No,” Seyong gave a very short answer while keep walking. Eunyoung didn’t know where they’re heading to, but she followed him anyway.

It turned out, there was a small, cozy restaurant not too far from there. Seyong took her in and picked a table next to the window. She guessed that he was a frequent customer and that was his favourite spot. And she was right, as the waitress came and greeted him friendly.

“You came, Sir. It’s been a while,” she said while handing them the menu. Seyong smiled and nodded, “I’ve been quite busy lately.”

The waitress took their orders and went back to the kitchen. Seyong then looked at her, “So, what about self introduction? Lady’s first.”

Eunyoung couldn’t help not smiling. “Well, you already know my name. I’m 20 years old, I’m a singer, well… rapper, to be exact…” she got cut off.

“You’re a rapper??” he was amazed. Her appearance showed everything but a rapper. Eunyoung chuckled when she nodded.

“I’m prepared to debut with a group called Two X. I’m a student of Seoul University of Art…” she got cut off—again.

“What?? Seoul University of Art? Seriously?” he looked in disbelief. Eunyoung nodded in confusion.

“I used to go there too! I graduated last year,” he explained which made Eunyoung’s turn to look at him in disbelief. “Why don’t you introduce yourself now,” she said.

“Well, you also already know my name. I’m 21 years old, which made me oppa, right?” he smirked. “I’m a member of MYNAME, and unbelievably, I’m a rapper too.” He smiled widely. Eunyoung gaped at him before breaking in to laughter.

“What is this? Coincidence?” she said in the middle of laughing, while catching her breath. Seyong tried to stop his laughter before he answered.

“Fate, perhaps.” A grin was curved on his face—which Eunyoung found it more handsome. They stared at each other for a few seconds. He looked like he was about to say something, but the waitress interrupted as she brought their orders.

“Okay, let’s eat,” Seyong said after the waitress left. Eunyoung nodded cheerfully.

When he was eating, Eunyoung stole a few glances at him. She found herself captivated with the person in front of her. Fate, he said? She thought to herself.