Back to Where Her Heart Belongs

The One That Got Away

“Joo Eunyoung, don’t go. Stay with me.”

Eunyoung stared at the man standing in front of her in shock and disbelief. She really wanted to think that she heard him wrong, but she knew clearly she didn’t. Seyong, standing beside her, looked at both of them in confusion. But in few seconds after, he understood the puzzle. N was the one responsible for Eunyoung’s tears on the first time they met.

Eunyoung didn’t get to say—or even move for half a minute already, so Seyong brought her back. He caressed her cheek and turned her head until she was looking at him. As always, Seyong looked at her mildly, lovingly. Only he and the heavens knew the hurricane and the fear that crept in his heart.

“Eunyoung-ah,” he called out her name gently, like he never did before. Just like that, her eyes were already covered in tears that she tried so hard not to let them fall.

“I’ll be waiting in the car. Eunyoung-ah, follow your heart. Do what makes you happy. Don’t think about how I would feel, or how he would feel. Think about your happiness first. And no matter what your decision’s gonna be, I’ll support you. As long as you’re happy,” he said with his eyes locked on hers.

His hand traced down her arm and found her wrist. This might be the last time… The thought he feared the most crossed his mind. He slightly rubbed the bracelet and said, “I love you.”

Seyong then looked at N’s eyes for a second before he bowed and walked away. It took everything in him to let go of her hands. The hands that fit in his. The hands he barely got to hold. The hands he knew he would miss everyday. But he wanted her happiness more than anything, even if it meant shattering his.

***

“Oppa, what is this about? Why all of a sudden?” Eunyoung demanded as soon as they sat on a café. She even didn’t bother the waiter asking for her order. N ordered a hot cappuccino, only to make the waiter go away.

“I’m sorry, Eunyoung-ah. I know it was out of the blue for you, but it wasn’t like that to me at all.” N caught her creased forehead. He took a deep breath before he continued.

“Honestly… I’ve been thinking about you, most of the time, since what happened at Jiwon noona’s dorm. I couldn’t get you off my mind, but I didn’t have enough courage to man up and talk to you. I just chickened away every time I saw you at school.”

“When I saw him picking you up yesterday, a voice inside my head screamed at me to hold you back, to move and get you before everything’s too late. But again, I let you go just like that. Until today, when I saw you with him, holding hands right before my eyes. I didn’t know it would feel so painful like this. I tried to let you go but I just couldn’t, because I know I could be the one who holds this hand…” He took her hand. Eunyoung was still processing his words when he held it. She couldn’t believe what she just heard.

“I’m sorry, Eunyoung-ah… For every hurt I’ve given to you, for every tear I’ve caused you, for every tiring step you took to chase me. But I will try my best to make you happy. So please, Eunyoung-ah…” he tightened his hand on her, “Give me one more chance.”

Eunyoung turned pale. Her lips went dry as she stared at him in disbelief. He had a full 18 months—that one and a half year!—to say all of these. Why did it have to be when she was already in someone else’s arms? Things wouldn’t be so complicated if he said it a week ago. She looked at their hands. That was something she’d been longing for, seeing her hand in his. Something she always dreamed of. A tear she didn’t realize holding fell on her cheek.

“Well…” she finally opened . Her voice was hoarse. “Thank you oppa, for finally finding your courage.” She cracked a smile, “Now I know for sure where my heart belongs.”

***

Seyong looked at his watch, it’d been almost an hour already. He sadly smiled as he closed his eyes. I guess I’ve lost. Be happy, Joo Eunyoung…

He felt his eyes warmer, but he didn’t want to open them as he knew a tear would fall. He shouldn’t cry for her happiness, he should be happy too, of course. He tried to bear that thought in his mind. He took a breath but it felt hurt. Even breathing became a hard thing to do. He touched his left chest as it ached the most. He tried to inhale and exhale evenly.

The next three minutes were the longest and hardest three minutes in his life. He tried to compose himself within every breath. When he finally felt his head was clear enough to at least drive home without getting into any accident, he opened his eyes. He straightened up his seat and started the engine. He fished out his cell phone from his pocket. He wanted to text Eunyoung, to bid her farewell. Being a gentleman that he’d always been, Seyong wouldn’t leave without any words. He was typing his message halfway when his glass window was knocked. He turned his head and found… Joo Eunyoung.

He was startled to see her, as he thought she wouldn’t come again. But he immediately got out of the car anyway. “Eunyoung-ah…”

“Oppa, are you going home by yourself?” she asked as a reply.

Seyong stammered, “Yes… But I was about to text you first before I leave… Are you finished talking with him?” he asked while trying to figure out what was happening.

“Yes.”

His eyes were narrowed.

“Aren’t you curious about what we talked about?” she teased. Seyong unintentionally raised his eyebrows.

“I am… But is it okay if I ask?” he replied as he tried to read Eunyoung’s face.

She smiled. “He wanted me back. I told him I know where my heart belongs,” she said with glowing eyes and pink tinted cheeks, while his heart sank.

“Do you know where it is?” she asked a question he didn’t expect coming. Since he was hardly trying not to lose his mind, he couldn’t think. He just kept looking at her, waiting for the answer.

“Eeiii, I already told you yesterday. Don’t tell me you already forget it??” she pouted cutely. Seyong squinted, guessing where this headed to. He then recalled their conversation last night…

 

“Thankfully, you give me your heart. Because mine just ran away there,” she touched his chest with one hand.

“I thought I would die for having no heart beating. You saved me,” she said.

 

His eyes dilated as she caught his orbs. She stepped forward and touched his chest just like she did, “It’s here, isn’t it?”

Seyong looked into her eyes and found something he wouldn’t dare to ask… love. He lost his words as he was engulfed by bliss. He pulled her into his embrace, and buried his face on her shoulder. He felt as if a blade was yanked out of his heart. He felt he could breathe again.

Still resting his head on her shoulder, he muffled, “Thank you…”

Eunyoung put her arms around him and pulled him tighter. She couldn’t imagine losing him, and that was why she chose Seyong—without even the slightest hesitation.

He pulled away their embrace as he cupped her face in his hands. He then leaned forward until his lips touched hers. Every brush, every movement was love. They were burning. The touch he left on her face was in flame. Even though he was on the very same fire, a thought still crossed his mind. He just found out that not only her hand fits in his, but her lips also moved perfectly along with him.

Their lips parted as they gasped for air, but refused to loosen the embrace. Both of them were panting. He through her hair and tucked them behind her ear. He met her gaze as he found himself drowned in those eyes.

He opened up his mouth just right when she also did, and they said together, “I love you.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last chapter, finally.. ^_^

Big, huge, fat THANK YOU to all my readers and subcribes who have been keeping up with this story. You mean a lot to me <3

And I'm preparing a new one shot, about Insoo of MYNAME. It's not a sequel of this one, but it has a slight connection. For giving you a hint. it's about the bracelet :)

I hope you'd look forward to it. Again, thank you so much and see you in another fanfic! *hugs and kisses*

- Haebyeong