Chapter One

Four Seasons of L: Summer

 

(Lizzy's POV)

Summer had come.

I marked off the calendar as it was the first day of Summer, my ultimate season. There were lot of good things which only happened in this lovely season, and I would never ever let anything to keep me away from them. Even the summer class. Yes, I honestly didn’t take any classes and my parents didn’t give a of it.

Drying off my hair, I excitedly took a glimpse outside through the window. Great, the sun shone brightly. I could play anything, throwing away the fact that I had turned into a teenager for a while. Hmm... walking around the beach maybe? Building up a sand castle, carving random words on the sand, or just enjoying the shore by a large bowl of banana ice cream, that should be great. Lol, those were clearly still on my mind, the time when I was still a child. My friends and I used to play together around the neighborhood or just at my home’s backyard during Summer time, but mostly on the beach because we really loved to play and spend the time together there. Now some of them had already taken their own path, studying abroad, or moved out to another place.

There was one boy who usually went to the beach too. He was peculiar, always had himself away from the others. He tended to sit down on the pier, looking far to the ocean. I occasionally asked him to come over and play, but he would immediately refuse. What made him special was he had such a lovely smile and perfect feature of face – which also still clearly painted on my mind. Few weeks later, he had never been on the beach. The news that I got that time was he had moved out to the city, following his dad’s business. I became dissapointed all of sudden, but I didn’t know why. I was too young to know what kind of feeling who had took over me, so I let it drought deep on my mind.

I was about to slide away the glassdoor when I heard footsteps coming.

“Cold watermelons maybe?” my mom said. She was holding a plate of freshly cut cold watermelons. They looked yummy!

“Yes!” I childishly answered as I took the plate away and put it down on the floor. I opened the door, leaving a way for the wind to come in. How I literally loved this moment, enjoying cold watermelons with a great view of the bluish ocean reflecting the sunlight.

I had done with the watermelons. I stood up and walked to my room. I chose to wear a white shirt with a shorts. The sunlight should be a bit too intense so I decided to pick up a summer beach hat which was given by my aunty when she visited Busan two years ago. I put it on and looked myself in front of the mirror, making sure that I looked simple yet presentable.

“Mom, I’m going out,” I half shouted to my mom who was in the kitchen, cleaning up the cabinets. Well, I actually didn’t have to ask her to allow me. She had known everything about her only daughter, including how much I loved Summer and would spend much time by playing outside.

After putting on my sandals, I began to walk. I chose to go to the beach which just two blocks away from my home. The beaches in Busan indeed weren’t as good as the other beaches in this country, which have white sand and crystal clear water. But it was always fun to play around or just have a little walk by the shore.

The beach apparently was empty. It was great, so I could play freely without getting ashamed of people who might be shocked to see me being childish and shoot out their judgmental stare.

I ran through the wet sand and bent down to see any clam shells or crabs. Well, collecting some of these stuffs had become my routine since I was child. My friends usually helped me out by digging off the sand. That was fun!

I was busy picking up the shells, when suddenly a hand patted on my shoulders. I looked around to see who had just done it.

“Can I join?”