The girl with long hair

Forest Secrets

I stared at the door. Raising my arm as if to knock, I cowardly lowered it again. Oh Bomi.

Well, this is it. Today is my Cube audition and Mum has somehow talked Woohyun into coming with me. I woke up early, hoping to fit some extra practice in before the final moment. All preparation sorted, I finally allowed myself to call Woohyun, my chauffeur for the morning. 

Before I had time to bang my fists on Woohyun's door, a creaking murmur sounded, revealing its owner on the other side. He must have just showered because he had a towel around  his wet hair, a boyish grin on his morning visage. 

"Bomi, you're early!" he greeted me brightly, opening the door to his room so I could enter. 

I nodded and suppressed a laugh, realising that I was indeed half an hour early. We left the suburban area of our house and made our way towards the busy streets of Seoul. The morning breeze showered our faces and the warm sun warmed its surroundings. My heart felt heavy with anxiety. Every step we made took me closer to my hard-to-attain dream and the possibilities of reaching it gradually dawned on me. I looked at Woohyun, suddenly remembering his earnest look when he gave me words of encouragement the night I showed him my dance. When I close my eyes, I can still hear his assuring tone. 

"Bomi, the life of an idol will be extremely difficult. But I...I know you will do us all proud. Your dance was amazing and your fiery spirit is impenetrable! Remember we will always be here to support you. Always."

Warmth enveloped my heart and I stole a glance at the tall companion walking next to me. He was looking at me.

Woohyun chuckled and gave me a light punch on the shoulder. "You're not nervous, are you?" he teased.

I shook my head adamently and protested, hitting him for even once suspecting the almighty Yoon Bomi's power. We laughed.

As we approached the Cube building, crowds and crowds of young females and males gathered in groups. Excitement was in the air and chatter was amongst every group. Woohyun turned me around to face him and placed his warm hands on my cheeks. "Go make us proud, Bomi," I felt a blush come to my cheeks as I  assured him I would do my best. Woohyun waited for me outside as I pushed open the formidable door in the entrance. Now, my audition.

*** 

They told us to wait until our number was called. I was number 9. I wandered through the Cube room and a massive poster on the wall caught my attention. B2st and 4Minute glamorously posed in front of me. Is it really possible? Possible that I might make it one day as well? I reluctantly pulled my eyes off the poster as the megaphone announced its next candidate. 

"Number 8, please make your way towards the audition room. Thank you."

My heart skipped a beat. That meant I was next.

Sudden powerful music exploded from the audition screen and I pushed myself against the crowd to catch the audition.

A girl my age stood demandingly confident about the stage. On key, she bowed charismatically and started her upbeat performance. She had beautiful, wavy hair that gently hugged her face when she danced. Every move was refined, crafted and beautifully classy. I couldn't take my eyes off her. She was amazing. As the final beat of the song finished, applause stirred among the audience. People whistled. Wow, I thought. Who is she?

"Number 9..."

Oh God. My turn. I walked towards the audition room, but not before catching a glimpse of the girl who just danced. My eyes followed as she made her way towards the toilet, her audition card attached to her light navy top. I squinted to see the name. Park Chorong.