Childhood to Maturity

Forest Secrets

I eyed my watch suspiciously, then glanced towards the International Arrivals sign in agitation.

No Woohyun.

Still no Woohyun.

Pacing up and down the lobby, I rehearsed my dialogue. Don't get me wrong- we are so close. Very close. But then again, five years is a long time. How were I to know if he's changed..what he's like now? Bomi, keep your cool. I warned myself. I fanned my face, which was growing pinker and pinker every minute. 

"Yoon Bomi!" a cheerful voice called behind me.

I spun around. As our eyes met, I found myself laughing at my previous anxiety. Before me was Woohyun. A grown and more handsome Woohyun, but still the same old one. My best friend. I squealed, and ran towards his open arms. We locked in each others' embrace, breathing in each others' scent, five year's separation at our doorstep. An unusually warm feeling washed over me and I reluctantly let go, finding myself face-to-face with him. He smiled and not forgetting to comment on my usual tardiness, grabbed his suitcase and steered me towards the airport's exit, his endless chatter filling up every corner of my world.

**

"Come on Woohyun! Don't be shy- you must miss our homemade kimchi," remarked Mrs Yoon as she gave Woohyun yet another spoonful of kimchi during dinner that night.

"Thank you mother!" Woohyun replied warmly. Woohyun calls my mum that sometimes, usually when he misses his own family. But then again, we are basically his family. He'd been living with us since.... I shook my head firmly to get rid of the distressing event that loomed at the corner of my mind. He has us now.

** After dinner we were both sitting in my room. We sat in silence at first, then he asked me what I was planning to do now that I'd finished school. To be honest, I was glad he asked something- said something- because I couldn't bear sitting in the same room as him without conversation.

"I actually have a CUBE audition next week."

I caught his raised eyebrows.

Before he could say anything, I stopped him and asked him to give me two minutes. I took a deep breath and got up. I've dreamt of this very moment countless times. Showing my efforts to my best friend and gaining his support and reassurance. As the familiar rhythm of my dance music filled the room, I hastily tied my hair back with a black hairtie and positioned myself in the centre of the room. Then I danced. I danced what I'd been practising for the last few months of my life. I danced my dream. My future. During this time I could sense Woohyun's critiquing eyes on me as he studied my every movement. 

As my dance came to an end, I heard an audible sigh come from him. Was it a sign of being impressed, or....?

As my mind pondered, I lost my grasp on the music, tripped over my messy pile of belongings and fell towards the floor. Woohyun dashed forward in an attempt to catch me and we both fell to the floor in a tangled mess. I found myself lying on top of him, saved by his warm embrace. 

"Are you ok?" Woohyun finally managed to ask, arms still locked protectively around me.

Before I had time to answer, there was a knock at the door and Mum's cheery voice called out to us. We hurriedly pushed away from each other, just before Mum opened the door. 

"What do you two want for breakfast tomorrow?"  Mum asked as she put her head around the door. I waited as Woohyun quickly replied that anything would suit him. I followed suite. As soon as Mum left the room, I fumbled up and excused myself for the bathroom. Once safely away from Woohyun, I lay back against the bathroom door, my pounding heart exploding against my chest.