Pancakes

Forest Secrets

*Chorong*

It started off like a normal day. I was scoffing down my pancakes and humming my favourite kpop song, Super Junior's It's You at the breakfast table. Dad was seated opposite me, deeply absorbed in the morning's headlines: "CUBE debuts B2ST", "Super Junior sweeps charts with Sorry Sorry". Stuff like that. I like kpop and everything but the nitty gritty of the entertainment industry never interested me. The determining factor was the musical talent, afterall. I sat, pondering over such issues, when Dad suddenly put down his paper, folded his arms in front of him and looked almost quizzically at me. Then my world was turned upside down.

"Chorong, I have a mission for you." 

I swallowed my final mouthful of pancakes and stared at him in disbelief. My Dad never asked me for anything. From the time he adopted me to that very day, I was simply his little princess, someone he adored and trusted. I suddenly felt a burst of importance build up within me.

"What..?" I nervously asked.

That was when he told me. My dad is Park Jin Young, or the rest of Korea would know him as JYP, the CEO of the entertainment company JYP. He has hundreds of artists and trainees under him. All in one, he is one of the most important people in the industry. I knew that of course. What I didn't know, however, was that he was worried about the future emergence of celebrities form the newly-founded CUBE company. He was also curious about the structure of the company, as nothing much was known about it. Here is where I come in. 

"Chorong, I want you to audition for CUBE, enter as a trainee and find out their secret training methods." 

A gasp escaped from me but I managed to compose myself in time. Do I have time to think this over? No, Dad was looking at me, waiting for an answer. I sighed and gave a small nod. It all starts now.

For the past two years, I'd undergone secret training at JYP entertainment. Every morning was  intense dance practice and vocal lessons and I felt nothing but exhaustion by the end of the day. None of the other trainees even knew about my existence. I was my dad's secret. Now I know the reason behind all of this. My heart swept with sudden knowing and betrayal. 

The day finally came when I was to be revealed to the rest of the world. I packed my bags. My future now depended on the CUBE auditions.

*** 

Dad said I had to walk to the audition by myself to avoid suspicions. Therefore, I set out in the early morning. The weather was beautiful, and though I felt somewhat disheartened by whatever future crime I would commit at the rival company, my spirits calmed under the glare of the warm sun. As the building came into view, I stopped. "Do not disclose your identity. No one can be trusted, Chorong. Be on guard at all times." I wiped my face free of unnecessary emotion and advanced towards the building boldly. 

A tall handsome figure was standing by the door, peering into the glass window and taking occasional glances at his watch. Was he a trainee? Maybe he will be auditioning today as well? I was overwhelmed with curiosity but put on a straight face and started to walk pass him. I had nearly gone into the building when I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I saw him holding out something. My audition name tag. I gasped in surprise. How did I manage to drop that? I immediately took it from his grasp, looking up at his warm friendly eyes and managing to grumble a thank you. He stood looking at me, obviously amused with my strange personality. "You're welcome." He finally said. He watched me, as if hesitating for a few seconds, then held out his hand.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Nam Woohyun."

My heart skipped a beat as a thunderstorm invaded its entirety.