Chance Number Three | Point One

In the Hands of Fate

 

 

 

Chance Number Three

Point One

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Let’s try something else, this time,” Jeehoon hyung, the dance company director, said while pacing around the oak wood conference table. “Let’s shuffle roles and duties for the upcoming production. What do you think?” he looked at the rest of the staff and waited for an answer. When he received none, he cleared his throat and continued. “I want something fresh, not entirely new, but fresh – something that we’ve rarely seen, at least. So, I’ve decided, that Jongwoon will direct the spring production.”

There was dead air. Each of us held our breaths, as if waiting for him to say that this was all a joke. We waited, but his high pitched laugh never came, instead, he eyed each of us intently, challenging us to give him a better idea.

“Well, you know, I’m thinking Jongwoon as director, his Yeeun for the music, and Yunho as lead. Can you all remember way back when this terrific trio started here, doing just that? I’m missing the feeling. I want that, but I also want something new, since Yunho had been directing and choreographing for some time now.”

Jeehoon hyung sat back down on the swivel chair as he awaited responses from the staff. The silence was deafening. This was the first time it had been like this and, somehow, it was frightening. He glanced at his left – at Jihyeon – the writer – his wife – in a way that showed how excited he was about this project, but needed support, not just from her but also from everyone else.

I could see the disappointment in his eyes. He wasn’t expecting this from us. He’d always loved challenges, he loved when we contested his decisions because that showed enthusiasm for the good of the company. But this – I knew, this was frightening to him.

“I think,” someone finally voiced out, and, of course, I wasn’t surprise that it was Jongwoon himself. “I think it’ll be nice. I mean, I’m not too much into the idea of directing a production. Don’t get me wrong, hyung.” Jeehoon hyung shook his head in reply. “And Yunho’s been doing the hell of a job with that. I think it’s what he’s best at – well, besides dancing, of course – he’s great at knowing each of his staff and crew, where they’re good at, what they can’t do, who’s too shy to move, and who’s too confident to do it right. I mean, he’s mastered that. Plus, all that training on the arts and directing – I really think this is a crazy idea. But nice still,” Jongwoon finished, scratching his head as Yeeun tried hard not to giggle at him. He gave her a glare, and Yeeun started laughing out loud.

“You do realize that you just contradicted yourself with everything you said, right?” she asked, softly. “Sorry, oppa, excuse my idiotic husband. But he’s in. And, as well as I.”

Jeehoon hyung laughed, clapping his hands with glee. “Very well, that leaves Yunho…”

I shook my head. Somehow, after years of knowing this person, I was stunned at his actions. I let out a long, loud sigh before standing to say my part. “You’re crazy, hyung. But I think I know why you’re doing this.” He propped a brow. “You want a romance don’t you? And you think that with these two,” I pointed at Jongwoon and his wife, “behind the production, you’ll get more of it. I don’t get your logic, hyung,” I laughed at my own unfunny joke and sat back down, resting my case.

Jeehoon hyung laughed that high pitched laugh of his and called the meeting adjourned.









“People, your blockings!” Jongwoon yelled from the audience seat. I strained my head to look behind and found the other dancers rooted on their spots, confused and dazed. I turned back to Jongwoon who was shaking his head dejectedly. “I’m sorry Steph darling, you go and rest first. You too, Yunho,” he nodded at me while walking up to Yeeung by the piano. He sat beside her, whispering to her ears. “Let’s all take a break, be back after 15.”

“What’s wrong with you?” I asked, sitting on the edge of the stage. “You’re crankier that normal.”

“Nah, I’m just, I don’t know, frustrated, I guess,” Jongwoon answered. “How come it never looked this hard when you do this?”

“Oh, come on, you’ll get a hang of it. Just chill a little. It’ll be alright.”

Stephanie then walked up to us, “I’m going to get something to drink, what would you like?”

Yeeun stood from beside her husband and said that she’ll be coming along. But before she left, Yeeun dragged the reeling Jongwoon towards one of the seats in the front row. It was more comfortable than the piano chair, she stated. And then, planting a kiss on Jongwoon’s forehead, she bid us goodbye.

Jongwoon sighed and I knew what was going on in his head. This was hard work, directing. And it was more frustrating because he had to stress about everyone – because, in fact, he can do all the routines himself. I should know, this was exactly what I experience every time. I usually had no problems about the leads, because all they had to do is move, while the others aren’t supposed to overpower the others – or something like that.

“Yoochun’s getting married, by the way,” I started, a topic different from before. I looked up at Jongwoon, even his expression changed. “And it’s not to Seulgi.”

“Why?” he asked, staring back intently, as if trying to read my emotions – me.

“He got the other woman pregnant.”

“Wow,” Jongwoon reacted. “That’s a surprise,” he spat, his voice b in sarcasm. “Why didn’t we see that coming?”

“Yah. But, I – I don’t know what to do about it now. I’m so confused,” I stated, burying my face in my joined hands. “I should be angry at him, right? Because he hurt her, I know he hurt her so much with this. He’s, god, he’s such an idiot. But, at the same time, I should be kind of happy, too, because I can finally come into the picture…”

“But you don’t want it anymore, do you?” Jongwoon asked, hitting the exact spot in question. “You aren’t aching to come into the picture, are you?”

“I – I…”

“You want someone else now, don’t you?” Jongwoon smiled at me knowingly, it was something both relieving and scary at the same time. It meant that I didn’t have to hurt anymore, but it also meant that I have to risk everything else, that was, if I wanted to be happy.