How Do I Remember to Forget?

Playing the Player (hiatus)

 

“Oppa is a liar! And a dirty cheater!” Minjoo screamed to herself as she hastily threw all of her and Joon’s precious memories from the shelf she kept them. Minjoo stopped at the sound of the glass shattering on the floor. She slowly slumped down and onto the floor, no longer crying through her puffy, red eyes. How could I have been so stupid? Minjoo thought sadly as she put her head in her hands. She sat there quietly for a while before she heard a soft knocking at the door. Minjoo was unsure about whether or not to answer. She didn’t want anybody to see her like this or to face Lee Joon again.

            But the knocking just kept getting louder until Minjoo was forced to get up and answer it. “Joo-” She looked up at the person in front of her. It wasn’t Joon coming to explain or get on his hands and knees and beg for her forgiveness, it was the girl she who Joon had cheated on her with.

            “Look Minjoo. I just want to ta-” Eunyoung was cut off when Minjoo slammed the door in her face. How dare she come to my dorm?! As if the pain of Lee Joon’s cheating wasn’t enough! It was like pouring salt in fresh and open wounds. Sadly for Minjoo, in her angry and pain-filled rage, she forgot to lock the door. So in came Eunyoung.

            Eunyoung walked over to where Minjoo had returned into her little ball. Eunyoung sat down next to her. Minjoo took her head out of her hands and stared at the pile of broken glass in front of her. They sat in silence for a while. Minjoo picked up a piece of glass and stared at it. Eunyoung looked over at it. It was just a broken piece of glass with a small frosted design of a ferris wheel and the words ‘Merry Island Fair’.

            “Do you know how we started dating?” Minjoo said, breaking the silence. Minjoo, of course, knew that Eunyoung wouldn’t know. Eunyoung just shook her head and Minjoo began the story.

“Joon! Stop!” Minjoo screamed as she held on to Joon’s back. “You’re going to kill us!”

The wind picked up her voice and carried it away, so that Lee Joon could only hear bits and pieces of what she was saying. Joon was driving 75 miles an hour on a 50 mile per hour zone on his new sleek black motorcycle with his best friend, Minjoo. Joon took his eyes off the road for a second to look back at Minjoo and smile. “HA! NOTHING KILLS LEE JOON!” He screamed over the wind. He laughed like a maniac and revved the engine. He pulled off the exit and onto Kaya Cay Road. Lee Joon slowed down as he pulled into a semi-crowded parking lot. “Ready?” He said, as he pulled off his matching black helmet.

“Heck yeah! I love carnivals.” Minjoo replied, pulling her own baby blue helmet off.

Later, Lee Joon pulled Minjoo onto the ferris wheel. They look across to the horizon. The sun is just setting and a breeze started to blow, slightly rocking the cart as it parks to a stop at the top of the wheel. Minjoo looked down and her breathing hitched. Joon looked over at her.

“You okay Joo?” Lee Joon asked as he put his hand on her back. Minjoo slowly shook her head and pointed down. “The heights. You’re afraid of heights. Minjoo, why did you even come on this ride with me then?”

“I didn’t know I was afraid of heights! I’ve never been on a ferris wheel before today!” Minjoo screamed back at him. Her screaming made the cart shake even more and Minjoo yelped in fear. Lee Joon pulled her closer to him and put his arm around her.

“You’re okay Minjoo. You’re okay. Just close your eyes and it will be over soon. I promise.” Lee Joon said slowly as he held her. Minjoo’s breathing started slowing down. Sure enough, the wheel started spinning again. Minjoo opened her eyes and looked over at Lee Joon.

“Joon, I-” Minjoo started but she was cut off. Joon’s lips pressed slowly into hers and she melted a little.

“Me too.” Joon said, smiling, as he pulled himself away. There cart stopped at the bottom and Joon and Minjoo stepped onto the solid ground. For the rest of the day they held hands and Joon even won her a giant teddy bear at a ring toss game. Lee Joon also got her a small shot glass.

“Here,” He said handing it to her. “Something to remember me and my drinking by.” Joon smiled at her and Minjoo smiled back.

How could I ever forget, Minjoo thought.

 

            Minjoo wiped a single tear from her cheek. Eunyoung looked over at her and scooted close enough to put her arm around Minjoo.

            “How do I forget Eunyoung?” Minjoo asked weakly, the tears flowing freely again down her red, puffy face. 

            “I don’t know Minjoo. Maybe we don’t forget. Maybe we just move on and this event just makes us stronger.” Eunyoung replied slowly. She hadn’t let a single tear escape from her. She wasn’t the type of girl who would let a stupid, replaceable, boy like Lee Joon get her down. An idea suddenly came to her. “Or maybe we can just do something to make replace the pain with some…satisfaction.”

 

_____

 

 

             Minjoo and Eunyoung sat at a far table, away from all the other crowds of students eating and mingling, and waited. It would have looked suspicious, two girls in trench coats and sunglasses on a cold day, but this was New York. Nothing was really normal.

            “Are you sure about this Eunyoung?” Minjoo asked nervously. She started playing with her fingers and her eyes were darting all over the place behind her sunglasses.

            “Yes I’m sure. Joon oppa deserves everything that is coming to him. Trust me.” Eunyoung replied. “Now stop being so nervous, you’re going to attract attention to us.”

            A little while later, a girl came and sat down at their table. She looked at both of them and almost laughed. They’re outfits practically screamed ‘Hey! I’m having a secret meeting!’

            “Are you her?” Eunyoung asked, lowering her glasses and giving the girl a once-over. She looked alright. She was dressed casually in a gray over-sized sweater that hung slightly over her shoulders and dark wash jeans. She seemed nice, for an acting major.

            “I would be her.” The girl emphasized the her. “Her, happens to have a name. I’m Hyuna.” She held out her hand to Minjoo. Minjoo shook her hand slowly and carefully, as if she were afraid of Hyuna, which she probably was. The whole plan scared the poop out of Minjoo. Hyuna then turned to Eunyoung and extended her hand. Eunyoung looked at Hyuna, then at her hand. Eunyoung ignored her handshake.

            “So Hyuna, this is the guy. I’m sure you already know all that you need to.” Eunyoung said as she pulled out a picture and slid it across the table to Hyuna. Hyuna picked up the picture and stared at the boy. He was, perhaps, the most attractive guy she had ever seen. And Hyuna had seen many attractive guys from her all of her acting classes.

            “His name is Lee Joon. His favorite color is black. He likes working out. He likes to compare himself to a baby fox. He mildly enjoys acting. He likes singing. He has a voice like an angel. He has honey abs. He can be a cocky bastard sometimes. He broke both your hearts… Yeah. I think I got it all down.” Hyuna replied lazily. Minjoo whimpered lightly at the last fact.

            “Joon also doesn’t bathe fully so if you have problems with his smell just spray him with your perfume. He kinda likes it sometimes…” Minjoo added. It wasn’t something she shared with anybody but she felt that Hyuna needed to know, especially for this mission. Hyuna looked a little weirded out by this new knowledge about her target.

            “And don’t you ever, ever, do anything stupid with him. Lee Joon has that effect on girls.” Eunyoung threatened. She took a fat, small envelope from her bag and handed it to Hyuna. Hyuna took the package.

            “I’m not a Eunyoung.” Hyuna said as she got up from the table. She opened the envelope; it looked like roughly 5k was in there. “When do I start?”

            “Two weeks should be good enough.” Eunyoung replied. Eunyoung slightly lowered her sunglasses. “Good luck.” She said. And with that she and Minjoo got up from the table. As they walked away, they both looked over their shoulders and smiled at the girl that would avenge them.