Gratitude

Underground Toy

 

CHAPTER ONE:Gratitude

 

 

What made him take that decision? He had no idea. But who cared? His old man did, but later than sooner SungYeol was going to report his bizarre actions to his uncle. Even if he was already twenty-six he still had to tell everything to the man that had taken care of him for so long. Anyway, the tall man right now was in a weird situation that made him wonder if he was actually that lonely. Sure he was. Such a big flat for just one person was totally depressing. HoWon, his closest friend used to tell him that all the time. He always supported SungYeol’s relationships and even if they all – unsurprisingly – ended the same way he was still there, cheering him up. What a great friend he had. Maybe he should call him now and ask him if he was losing himself or if it was common for someone to take an injured unknown person from the street, more precisely a rubbish container, and bring them to their place to heal their wounds.  

Now that SungYeol thought about it, maybe he was in fact losing it, but it. He did what he thought was right at the moment so now the only thing he could do was observe with his curious eyes the beautiful boy. He couldn't get him back to the containter, right?

First of all, there was no way this boy was Japanese, at least not completely. His looks were outstanding, even with all those injuries SungYeol was able to notice it. That face wasn’t common, it wasn’t something you would usually see on the busy streets of Tokyo. Not the boy next door. His face was different and striking. It didn’t seem Asian but at the same time it didn’t show traces of another race. Was the boy mixed? That was a pretty good question SungYeol was dying to ask. And if he was, did he come from another place? Europe? Or maybe America? That far? And why did he end up in a rubbish container? Did he commit a crime? Was he a runaway—? Okay, maybe there were more questions SungYeol was eager to ask.

 

Said hurt boy was now resting in one of SungYeol’s gest rooms (originally there was just one but since he got no one to live with…). His limp body was laid on a queen size bed. His wrist and other injuries had been healed – clumsily yeah, but healed. The dirt and blood that stained his skin had been removed so now there was a more beautiful view to appreciate. Still, those dirty huge clothes made him look a bit shabby but it wasn’t like SungYeol was going to undress the boy and clean him. That could be just too weird, not like the situation wasn’t already weird enough. 

A sigh was released from the tall man as he made himself much more comfortable on the chair. His dark orbs kept looking curiously at the fragile figure in front of them. Now that SungYeol recalled, the boy’s eyes were a penetrating blue. Yup, they were so bright and full of passion. The businessman had never seen such a colour in any Asians’ eyes. They seemed unique; no, not only the eyes but the boy himself. How freaked his first words to SungYeol had been that he captured the man completely? Kill me, who the hell ask that to a stranger? Maybe something was wrong with the kid. Or maybe he was just a bit too emotional.

While those thoughts invided his mind two long legs went up so SungYeol could curl on the chair. His chin rested softly on is knees as he kept on guard. Of what? Somehow the tall man was scared something would happen to the boy but the time passed by, nothing changed – not even the sleeping position of the young boy – so little by little SungYeol lost the battle against Morpheus. That damn deity had been calling him for some time now.

 

 

A soft noise perturbed the tall man’s ears. It took him a while but soon SungYeol noticed he had fallen asleep on the chair. Yeah, he was going to regret that later but now he couldn't care less. SungYeol had heard a noise in his goddamn empty flat and that could only mean one thing. Scared, but knowing sooner or later he needed to act, the businessman opened his eyes softly just to meet with a surprising sight that brought a small but sincere smile on his lips. Now he remembered, his apartment wasn’t that empty anymore. 

In front of the window that gave a stunning view of the city – from there people seemed so small and breakable – a kind of tall figure was standing. Finally, the injured boy had awakened. SungYeol could see his lean back and messy hazel hair, but it still was a charming view. As the mixed boy (SungYeol had decided that on his own) moved closer to the curtains the businessman noticed how awkward his few steps were, as if it hurt. Was he hurt somewhere else?

“Good morning,” SungYeol said softly when he was done registering the boy from behind. He wanted to see life in the sleeping face he had rescued last night. He wanted to see those eyes again.

As on cue, the mixed boy turned slowly to the side just to meet with his saviour. His sharp eyes were looking deep into SungYeol’s, yet something was wrong with it. Right, the boy’s eyes weren’t blue anymore but a soft chocolate colour. What had happened? Did SungYeol imagine the colour the other night? That just couldn’t be.    

“Good morning,” the boy answered a bit later the Japanese greeting. Even though his eyes were deep, SungYeol could still see the innocence on his face. The tall man could guess the mixed boy was just a teenager, there was no way he had come of age yet.

“Are you feeling better?”  SungYeol said slowly in Japanese wanting to see if the boy knew it too or if he was just a lost tourist.

“Ah,” the small eye contact they had shared broke instantly. “I-I’m sorry for bothering you.”

“Eh? Oh, no. You aren’t. It’s okay, kid,” SungYeol said as he stood up from the chair in a clumsy way. An itchy sensation made him acknowledge its presence on his neck. “I just found you yesterday on the rubbish container. What the hell were you doing there?”

Confusion was written on the mixed boy’s features as he was obviously trying to understand what was going on. For a moment SungYeol thought that maybe the boy didn’t even remember he had been inside of one but when the young male bitted his lower lip and looked down SungYeol changed his thoughts. It seemed the kid knew that and by the way he was avoiding SungYeol’s eye contact it was understandable that he wasn’t intending to answer that question anytime soon. Because of that the businessman decided to keep on talking not liking the silence surrounding them.

“Anyway, I just couldn’t let you there so I brought you here and fixed your wounds,” SungYeol said as the mixed boy unconsciously touched his injured and bandaged wrist. The businessman noticed how all his movements were soft and delicate. The memories of his Japanese ex-girlfriend flashed in his mind.  Why? He wasn't bothered to find an answer. “You gotta be more careful, kid.”

The mixed teenager didn’t speak, he gently nodded as his long fingers started to play with the hem of his dirty shirt. Nervous, hesitant? SungYeol couldn’t put a name on the feeling the boy was reflecting at the moment. He wasn’t able to find one and not because he lacked of vocabulary – he had an extended vocabulary, thank you very much – but because the teenager suddenly took off his shirt revealing a lean white chest.  The weather wasn’t that hot for god’s sake!

“Whoa! Wait! What are you doing?!” SungYeol raised his hands to the front the moment he saw the boy walking towards him. The boy froze halfway.

“Well... I don’t have money to pay you for you help,” the teenager said with a soft voice. His cheeks getting a soft pink colour on them just like SungYeol's. The embarrassment was obviously present in the guest room.    

“What? No, no. You can’t just pay that way! Geez, what did your parents taught you about gratitude?” SungYeol shook his head amazed by how the boy was intending to pay for some help. It was the first time a boy had offered to him. And he hoped the last one too. “I don’t need you to pay me.”

“I just thought…” the teenager mumbled as he slightly titled his head acting as if it was the most common thing to do. Seriously, what was wrong with that kid?  

“God,” SungYeol sighed letting the silence fill the guest room.

This time the businessman didn’t bother to keep talking since his eyes were occupied watching carefully the exquisite figure in front of him. This boy – whose name he still didn’t know – seemed tall, not that much, maybe he was still growing. SungYeol calculated the boy’s height was between one sixty-five or seventy while SungYeol went higher up to the eighties.  

Since the boy wasn’t wearing a shirt the tall male could observe how curvy and slim the teenager was. His body was quite feminine, yet it held the essence of a man. Clear smooth skin, bright like the sun. Every inch of it seemed soft, even his long distinguished fingers. And his hair, long enough to cover his forehead, called to be caressed. Yes, the boy was beautiful. SungYeol was man enough to accept that. Not that he swung the other way. Nu-huh, even if he hated them right now, he still liked women.

Feeling the boy noticed how openly SungYeol was staring at him – it was impossible not to look at him, but oh well... – the tall man decided to break the awkwardness.   

“Want some breakfast?”

Now that was the last thing he had expected to ask. That didn't help in breaking the awkward atmosphere, at all. Not only the teenager got surprised but he himself. But what could he do when his stomach was pretty much begging for food? Yes, the boy was a stranger. Yes, things were doubled with awkwardness but he was hungry. Now that SungYeol thought about it, his question reached acceptable range. 

“Hum…”

“And no, you don’t need to pay me for breakfast either,” SungYeol added blushing a bit as he noticed a soft smile on the boy’s lips. The younger male seemed relived.

Within some time SungYeol prepared his usual black coffee and took out some plates, milk, fruit, and cereal. Yup, even if he was in Japan and he was Korean he still liked the simplicity of the occidental breakfast. Ever since he first encountered that type of breakfast in Europe he had fallen completely with it. Now it was a normal thing in SungYeol's life.

“You’ve eaten cereal before, right?” SungYeol asked out of curiosity. 

“Yes,” the young male said with his eyes pasted to the set table. SungYeol grinned knowing the boy was used to the usual misou soup and fish for breakfast.

“Then help yourself,” SungYeol took the cereal box while the mixed boy went for the milk.

“Thank you,” he said politely.

Another awkward silence filled the place yet it seemed the young kid wasn’t bothered by it. Not when he was busy preparing his cereal.

“So,” SungYeol said freaking a bit by the silence. Was it obvious he hated them? “Are you from here? Or…”

“Here,” the boy answered quickly as he tried to pass the food he just put on his mouth. “I was born in Tokyo.”

“Really? I could swear you were from another country. You don’t look from here,” SungYeol said interested in the boy.

“You aren’t Japanese?” the question came seconds later.

“No, I’m not from here. I’m Korean,” SungYeol said standing up to get more coffee. He missed the light expression that had conquered the younger boy’s features.

“Is it nice?”

“Hell yes. It’s lovely. Never been out of here before?” SungYeol turned around to see him, suddenly noticing how the boy was using a polite Japanese while he, well, he was talking like he always used to.

“No, sir. I’ve been here my whole life,” the boy said taking gently his spoon to eat some more. He was so conscious of his movements it seemed a bit fake to SungYeol’s eyes.

“Don’t call me sir, I’m not that old,” SungYeol cringed his nose at the ‘sir’ word. “Just call me SungYeol.”

A nod was given as an answer.

“God, it’s been so long since I shared breakfast with someone.”

“Do you live alone?” The Japanese boy asked but blushed suddenly as he got a weird look from the businessman. “Sorry.”

“Nah, it’s okay. But, yeah. This place’s all mine. I left my old man a few years ago... I wanted to share it with someone but as you can see, I'm still alone,” SungYeol extended his arm to make the teenager turn around and see the big place better. “It’s pretty boring, you know?”

“It’s nice. I wouldn’t mind living alone,” the young male said softly before standing up, his empty plate on his hands. SungYeol knew what he was about to do.

“Hey, don’t do that. You’re my guest.” 

Technically he was.

“I just wanted to pay for your gratitude.”

“You’re still at it?” SungYeol rolled his eyes.

“I feel I owe you,” the boy bitted his lower lip giving a helpless image.

“It’s okay. I just wanted to help,” SungYeol shrugged before turning to see the clock hanging close to the fridge. “You know? I think you should go. I’m not kicking you out or anything, seriously, but I guess your parents would be worried.”

“They wouldn’t…” the Japanese boy murmured hoping the businessman didn’t listen but that wasn’t going to happen. Not when SungYeol possessed a sensitive hearing.

“So you really are a runaway,” SungYeol missed to question his phrase, completely amused with the teenager.

“You could say that.”

And then a crazy idea came. Oh no, SungYeol. Stop it—

“Then you don’t have a place to stay, right?” The creepy smile that appeared on SungYeol’s lips made the teenager backup.

“…no.”

SungYeol nodded a few times. “And I feel hopelessly alone in this goddamn huge place, right?”

Yes, he was waiting for the boy to answer his rhetorical question. 

“Hum, yes. I guess…” the teenager said furrowing his eyebrows. The expression made him look cuter.

“And I suppose you don’t have money nor clothes seeing you don’t have a backpack or something with you.”

“Right,” the teenager blushed at his own stupidity.

For a second time SungYeol nodded holding that I-understand-everything-don’t-worry-about-it expression that made him look more unreliable. Gently he patted the boy’s shoulders.  

“Are you still feeling like you owe me?”

Yes, the idea was stupidly crazy, but he lost nothing with trying. He couldn’t care less about what was going to happen in the future, but he cared about the present. And for his unique mind, SungYeol it was a brilliant idea.

“Yes,” came another sincere answer. The Japanese boy was now looking at SungYeol with his deep chocolate eyes.

“Then let’s do this. I think you're gonna like it,” SungYeol grinned placing both hands on the teenager’s shoulders. The contact made the boy tense. Noticing that, SungYeol instantly let go. “What do you think about staying here for a while?”

“I’m sorry?” SungYeol could’ve swore the boy blinked a thousand times just then.

“Yeah, stay here with me for… what? Two months. Sounds good right?” SungYeol smiled loving his idea more and more. “I’ll give you food and a room to stay in exchange you have to eat with me and make this place less empty.”

“But you don’t even know me—”

“Whatever. We’ll get to know each other. And if that doesn’t convince you, what if I give you one million after the two months pass? You’ll have enough money to pay for a rent and live for a while until you find a job or I don’t know, buy something. Whatever you kids do.”

SungYeol was a bit worried about his own mental health but it, he was quite desperate to have company and this kiddo seemed a good one so there was no need to worry about a thing. After two months he was sure he could star again with a new relationship and maybe this time they could work out. He would get those children he was craving to have! He just needed some time to rest from those tortuous relationships and not feel too lonely about it.

“One million… yens?”

The light of hope shone then.

“Nope. Let’s make it dollars.”

SungYeol thought it was a fair treat. That amount of money wasn’t that spectacular for him but he was sure it could easily blind the kid. If the food and bed didn’t work maybe money did. God, money worked with everyone!

“No ?” the blunt way the boy said it made the businessman feel intimidated.

“Why would I have with you? I’m not gay,” SungYeol scrunched his nose. Why the hell did this boy related every favour and charity to ? Life wasn’t like that. Life wasn’t supposed to be like that.

“Two months?” the boy kept asking and SungYeol could almost listen how his mind was working on the deal.

“Just two months,” SungYeol smiled. He was falling. Oh god...

“Fine.”

The Japanese teenager finally accepted. That was just perfect and SungYeol couldn’t stop himself from grinning like an idiot. His plan has worked – they always did. He didn't regret his actiouns. At least not now. But really, this has got to be the craziest day in Lee SungYeol’s life. 

“By the way, what’s your name kid?”

Yeah. The craziest.