No regrets

Weekend Getaway

Luhan is a stay-at-home Dad of sorts. He’s a successful writer, with two best sellers under his arm, but writing doesn’t compare to seeing your boys’ faces when you pick them up from school, when you help them with homework and they finally understand what they were struggling with, when you tuck them in every night with a bed time story. Being able to raise your children yourself is a wonderful feeling. The main reason he decided to start working from home, once they became a proper family, was that he never saw his own parents when he was a child. He’s never held that against them, since their work helped pay for a good education and put food on the table but, he thinks, since he’s made good money writing, he can afford to take it slow and write from home.

 

That doesn’t mean there are times he wishes he could just drop the boys off at his friends’ home and take a weekend with Minseok to do anything other than clean dishes and do laundry and organize backpacks.

 

“Sehunnie, please don’t kick your brother,” he says, trying whole-heartedly to not lose his patience. Especially while driving.

 

“But Baba, he’s making faces at me,” Sehun argues back.

 

“Taozi, what have I told you about bothering Sehun.”

 

“He started it!” Zitao exclaims and Luhan sighs, thanking the wushu and dancing lessons for this afternoon.

 

“Ok you two, I’m driving here, so if you could behave then I’ll get you guys a treat after your lessons, ok?”

 

He hears two reluctant ‘ok’s from the backseat and smiles to himself. Oh, the power of persuasion.

 

 

-

 

 

After all the extracurricular activities of the children, he gets home, makes dinner, makes sure the kids did their homework and then leaves them in the family room watching a movie.

 

“I’m home!” he hears a tired voice from the doorway. The boys run to hug their Appa and then race each other to get back to the movie.

 

“Wow, they used to try and climb me every time I got back, now they barely say hi,” Minseok says, leaving his bag in the kitchen counter.

 

“Well, they’re growing up, I guess,” Luhan laughs and then kisses Minseok in the lips sweetly. “How was your day?”

 

“It was good, and I have a day off tomorrow so that made it a lot better.”

 

“Really?” Luhan nearly crushes him in a hug.

 

“Yeah, the hospital finally hired another Neuro fellow so now he can pick up some of my shifts,” Minseok grins.

 

He had been working non-stop for nearly three months, since the last Neuro fellow had been dismissed. Minseok was happy to help out by taking more hours but it had gotten to a point where he barely saw the kids awake and hardly spent any time at home. He missed his family.

 

“Does that mean you’ll get to be home more?”

 

“It means that and that I’ll get weekends off, plus I’ll get to help you out around the house and pick up the kids from school from time to time.”

 

They hug, not really caring about the time, or the fact that the food was burning.

 

“Oh, ,” Luhan says turning off the stove. “Oops, I hope the kids didn’t hear that,” he chuckles.

 

“I’m sure they didn’t,” Minseok assures him. “I saw Yifan and Junmyeon at the hospital today, with the kids.”

 

“You did? Were they visiting Yifan?”

 

“They had an appointment with Jongdae, for Yixing.”

 

“Oh, yeah, Junmyeon told me about it.  He’s he ok?”

 

“He’s fine, thankfully. He’s got some allergies apparently. He invited us Friday night for dinner  to let us in on everything and I told him we could take Jongin Thursday since Yixing’s going in for some tests at the hospital.”

 

“Absolutely, we can pick him up Wednesday night if he wants to. I’m sure the kids would love to have a sleepover.”

 

“I’m sure they would.”

 

Luhan then asks Minseok to set up the table and to tell the kids dinner’s ready.

 

They have a pleasant meal and Minseok puts the kids to bed afterwards.

 

“Appa, are you gonna tuck us in from now on?” Sehun asks from his bed while Minseok picks a book from the bookshelf to read for that night. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Zitao sneaking in to Sehun’s bed for the bedtime story.

 

“I am, yeah. Do you guys want me to tuck you in?” Minseok tentatively queries.

 

Sehun smiles and his eyes turn into half moons. “I would like that very much.”

 

“Me too,” Zitao adds with one of his gorgeous smiles.

 

Minseok sits on his bed pulling the covers over both his boys and he kisses them on the forehead.

 

“What am I supposed to do now, huh?” Luhan mocks hurt from the doorframe of the bedroom.

 

“You can both tuck us in!” Zitao half-yells from Sehun’s bed.

 

“How about you get in your own bed, you sneaky monkey, and each of us can tuck one of you?” He says going straight to Zitao and tickling him.

 

“Yes!” Sehun smiles and Minseok starts tickling him too.

 

 

 

After a little while, book already read and boys already asleep, Luhan drags Minseok to bed seeing how tired his husband actually is. He might be getting some free time from now on, but that doesn’t mean he’s gotten any in the past couple of months, so he needs to charge batteries.

 

“I’m so happy they hired someone new, I swear I almost cried when Henry told me,” Minseok whispers when they’re both in bed, curled around each other.

 

“I’m happy too,” Luhan tells him. He settles on Minseok’s chest, right underneath his chin, and sighs contentedly.

 

“Jonginnie’s favorite food, Yifan told me, is Spaghetti.”

 

“How convenient, that’s Sehun and Zitao’s favorite food too.”

 

“I’ll be home Thursday, so I’ll cook them Spaghetti and maybe take them to the park later.”

 

“I’m sure the kids would love that, plus you can always count on Jongin dissolving any and every fight Sehun and Zitao have.”

 

“He’s like a magical creature.” They both laugh quietly, making sure not to wake up the boys.

 

They fall asleep not long after that, already reveling in the extra time they will have starting today. And like this, Luhan regrets not even for a second, deciding to leave his desk job and making his family the most important thing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------

a/n: Surprise! So I got a couple requests to expand on this storyline, so here it is! I hope you guys like it. Comments are appreciated c: