Surprise, surprise...

Drive Away to Your Dream Boy

 

“So? How is it?” Mr. Kim shows a full of hope face, which makes it hard for me to say no. “Will you rent it? Or even better… buy it?”

We sit at a coffee shop for further discussing about the house. I already told him that I’d talk with my parents first. But I guess he already sensed that I’m not interested anymore, that’s why he forced me to have some tea with him before going home. Now, I’m stuck here, not knowing how to reject his offer.

“Come on Miss Jiyo. I offered you the lowest deposit payment that a landlord could request.” He then again tells all the good things about the house for the third time. I’m getting tired of listening to the same thing I couldn’t focus on him anymore. I just nod and pretend to listen to him.

I stir my tea and watch the water swirl inside my cup. Once in a while I would look at him and the back to the tea. 

When will he stops? I asked inside my head and fake out a smile.

At that moment, a silhouette of a man passes behind Mr. Kim – outside the café, draw my attention. He wears a blue jacket, with his hand inside his black skinny jeans and shades covering his eyes. Given that he’s also wearing a cap and a mask, it covers most part of his face, makes it hard for me to identify him. But his arms, I’ve known only one person with that kind of arms.

Seems like I know him from somewhere. That guy looks familiar. One person comes into my mind but it’s impossible. Why would he be here?

I fix my eyes on him, watching him walking through the pavement and into the building across the street. Wait a sec. He’s walking into that apartment? Does he live there? He lives at the apartment that I almost say no to?

No way!

If that guy is the person who I think it is, it’ll be so weird if he’s here. He can’t be living there at that kind of moderate apartment. He’s rich.

In another second, the guy with the shades walks right into the building.

“I’m sorry Mr. Kim.” I stand on my feet, resulting him to eventually bring his never-ending talks to a stop. “Could you give me a moment? I have… uh… Need to do… uh… something.” I push my chair to the back and make way so that I can leave the table. “I’ll be right back.”

Quickly, I walk out of the café – leaving Mr. Kim in a curious state. I cross the road and get into the building. Breathlessly I get to the receptionist and ask, “Did a blonde hair guy with shades walked in here just now?”

“I think so.” The receptionist answered without looking at me as if his eyes are attached to the laptop screen.

“Do you know what floor he went?”

He doesn’t answer with words this time. Instead he raises his hand and shows 4 of his fingers.

“Alright, thank you.” I said.

I was thinking of getting the lift but I don’t think it’s a good idea, with its condition like that. I decide to climb the scary dark stairs. Before I reach the 4th floor, I slow down my footsteps. A shadow of that guy becomes visible. He’s trying to unlock the door. I guess he really do live here. I peek from the staircase – behind the door.

He’s having trouble to find the right key to open the door. “Aish, stupid keys.” He grumbles alone.

That voice.

Right before he enters the house, he takes off his shade.

My heart stops beating for a second. I can’t even remember how to breathe. I lean my back on the wall and slowly squat down.

It’s really him! He’s here and it’s him who stood in front of me just now.