Realise

Coincidence?

He turned around so hard, that he thought his neck would’ve snapped from the force. Furrowing his eyes, he didn’t move from his spot, worried that any sudden movements might scare the cat. Or worse, wake him up from his dream.

The Emperor has never said anything to him.

Ever.

Chansung had come to the conclusion long ago that the cat might have a damaged voice box because apart from purring, he’s never been vocal. Now to hear his voice, Chansung didn’t know what to do. He was torn between ecstatic delight at the new revelation and outright terror that the Emperor basically just revealed that he was Junho.

Stumbling backwards until his back reached the front door, Chansung fumbled trying to open it without tearing his eyes away from the strange cat. Rushing inside, and for the first time ever, he slammed the door and locked it in the presence of the Emperor.  He was too spooked by the sudden events and didn’t know what to do with himself.

After calming down his heart, he collected himself and peeked out the window of the living room to look out at the front porch. Like a statue, the Emperor hadn’t budged from his spot. Sensing that he was being watched, he shifted his gaze from the front door to the window where Chansung was peaking in between the blinds.

Unyielding in his stare, the Emperor looked like he was seeing past Chansung, past his face and past his eyes. Like trying to convey a message, the cat’s glassy eyes were wet with yearning for understanding. Pleading that the man behind the window finally realises something. Finally realises him and his true existence.

Feeling overwhelmed by all the emotion, Chansung let go of the blinds and closed the window. He just dragged himself to his room and crawled under his covers. Not sure why he was overcome by such a gripping sense of sadness, he closed his eyes tight and tried to block out the images he just witnessed.

 

The whole night he was in a fitful state, being choked by the feelings of gloom and despair the entire time he was trying to sleep. Come sunrise, he is still awake from the previous night. Feeble and exhausted from not getting a wink of sleep, he called in work to let his boss know he can’t make it. Collapsing back onto his bed and tossing his phone on the floor, he moaned in slight agony from his restless night. His muscles were tense the whole time and now any sort of movement made his body scream in pain from the stress.

Junho being a cat and his cat being Junho (whichever came first) had kept him up all night. He didn’t know if he should admit himself into the nearest psych ward not because of the implication but his acceptance towards it. The more he thought about it, the more he started to see the signs. For starters, he’s never seen both Junho and the Emperor in the same area at the same time. However basing that as an argument is like saying he’s never seen the devil and Mr Ok in the same room; technically true but not likely the same person.

Also the striking similarities in mannerisms. The nose twitching, vague answers, showing strong distaste to the things he doesn’t like (especially tuna), all these are similar to the Emperor’s usual behaviour in one way or another. Yet that isn’t a strong argument either since a lot of people show animal like qualities (again like Mr Ok and being a troll cat).

The thing that connects the two the most is the eyes. Whenever he looks into Junho’s eyes, he knows he sees something not entirely human. Whether it be the vacant look he has whenever he’s off in his own world or how when he looks directly at Chansung, he sees past him. Past his face and past his eyes. Like trying to convey a message. His eyes would be wet and glassy and they would plead with him, plead that the man across him finally realises something. Finally realises him and his true existence.

It’s at that moment when it hits him.

Bolting upright from his bed, he raced downstairs to get to his front door on time. It’s almost noon but he prays that it’s not too late. Cursing at his paranoia from yesterday that made him lock the deadbolt as well as the normal lock on the front door, he managed to unlock it and yank it open.

Nothing.

Racing back into the kitchen to grab the dry cat food, he rushed outside with the box and shook it a few times.

Still nothing.

Sensing the feelings of suffocation and panic rise in him like the first time the Emperor went missing, Chansung couldn’t stop his hands from shaking. From the cold hitting his bare-chest and from the unease, he was wracked with tremors starting from his hands and seeping into the rest of his bones. Grabbing any coat he can find and slipping on his sneakers, he locked his front door and trekked out to find the Emperor, determined to not come back home until he’s found the little cat.

 

He’s lost track of time and place. Hour after hour, he looked behind every nook and cranny, every rubbish bin and under every car. Moving past his the local streets, he ventured out towards the more crowded populace to try his luck. Even after hours of looking through every alley and behind giant dumpsters there was still no sign of the Emperor.

Aimlessly wondering around, he eventually stopped paying attention to where he was going. He was too numb to care of his surroundings. Too numb to do anything but just shuffle his sneakers on the pavement and look ahead at nothing in particular. It was only when he bumped shoulders with a stranger did he start to come back to his senses.

Looking around, he can tell he was in an unfavourable part of town. The streets were almost empty except for a few suspicious looking individuals hiding in the shadows. The area was a destitute of squalid apartments and barren roads. Having only heard of the place, Chansung wasn’t sure where his exit lay. Reading the street signs, he took his chance and went back down the road he came from.

Now that his mind was present, he started to become more aware of how chilly the bitter winds were. Regretting that he left the house in such haste and wearing only a jacket on top of his chest, he could only rub his arms for warmth and trudge on down the road. 

Rounding the corner, he finally recognised a landmark and the way back started to make its way to him. Walking at a brisk pace to get out of the area as soon as he could, he didn’t see the empty can near his feet and accidently kicked it towards some large metal sheets slanting in an alleyway. Frightened by the large sound, he couldn’t help the loud yelp he let out and stopped walking to calm his heartbeat.

As the vibrating metal damped back into silence, Chansung was then made aware of another sound in its place. Holding his breath, he strained his ears to try and catch the other sound coming from the alleyway. Closer and closer, he approached the sheets of metal and placed his ear inches away from the scraps.

“Meow”

Lifting the metal back, he saw a huddled bundle of fur at the base of the scraps. Pushing all the rubbish out of the way, he bent down and gently placed his large palm on the little creature. This seemed to make the little one flinch away but not before lifting its head to look up at the human who found it.

“Emperor?”

More meows followed by small whimpers of agony confirmed the worst. It was the Emperor that was making the pained noises in the alleyway. Gently sliding his hand under the small body, Chansung tried to lift him up but it only made the cat yelp even more. Slowly turning his body to inspect the source of the pain, it was only then he noticed the deep gash on his left hind leg. Cradling the injured leg, he ped his jacket and nestled the small cat to his chest before closing up his jacket again. He might look silly (and a little suspicious emerging from the shifty area with something smuggled under his jacket) but he didn’t care, he needed to get the Emperor home as quick as possible.

 

Finally reaching front door, he didn’t give himself time to catch his breath as he felt blood dripping down his torso during his trek home. The wound must’ve been aggravated from the brisk walk (almost jog) home and he didn’t want to waste any more time. Stumbling inside and throwing his jacket on the shoe rack, it was only then that he realised that this was the first time the Emperor has stepped inside his house.

“Hey little buddy, we’re home now. Don’t worry, Chansung will take care of you,” he cooed at the still whimpering cat as he walked into his bathroom. Placing him on the marble counter near the sink, he grabbed a towel and gently pressed it on top of his wound. Chansung knows nothing about tending to wounds larger than standard Band-Aid size but he knew only a towel wasn’t enough. He could do nothing but sink to his knees in utter helplessness. Slapping his head, trying to wrack his brain for something, anything, his efforts felt futile once he realised that there might be nothing he can do to save the Emperor. The wound looks deep and by the time he figures out where the nearest veterinary is it’ll be too late. The Emperor’s breathing has gotten shallower and his cries have died out to soft little yelps, almost inaudible due to Chansung’s sobs. He laid his head near the Emperor’s and just his small face to calm both himself and the cat down.

“I’m sorry Emperor. I’m sorry Junho. I was so stupid to not realise sooner and now because I was so stubborn, I pushed you away, I pushed both of you away,” he sniffled. “I am sorry for pushing you away Junho. Please, come back to me. I… I miss you. I…” he couldn’t bring himself to say the words. He felt so hopeless and angry at himself for leaving it to the last possible minute to confess his true feelings. For realising too late how he’s felt about him the whole time.

He curled into himself, with his head between his knees and his arms enveloping his legs, and just wept. Letting out all his anguish and frustrations. All of his feelings and heartbreak. His tears mixed with the blood still on his chest, leaving him a mess of emotions and misery. 

His sobs too loud, he wasn’t able to hear anything but his cries. He wasn’t able to feel a soft breeze wafting its way in the bathroom. He wasn’t able to see the soft glow of light radiating from the sink counter. He wasn’t able to make out the change in tone of the soft cries. He wasn’t able to make out the distinct change of animal cries to more human whimpering. He wasn’t able to able to make out his name being called. His name was called over and over.

“Chansung”

He covered his ears so he couldn’t hear it. He didn’t want to hear what his mind was making up.

“Chansung”

He closed his eyes so he couldn’t see. He didn’t want to see the tricks his eyes would play.

“Chansung. Please look up”

Slowly, he pried his eyes open and hesitantly removed his hands from his ears and looks up. 

 

 


Hello everyone!

I'm not sure what to think of this chapter. I read it over and over but I don't know how to fix it so I hope it isn't too bad and the mistake aren't too obvious LOL 

Thank you all for reading and I hope you have a nice day! :D heart