Traffic Light

A shot a day

 

 

 

Traffic Light

 

 

 

 

 

Falling in love is like a traffic light, there are three colors which becomes a guide for us to know when to stop, to slow down and go forward.

 

Green. Go.

 

Love comes in any forms and ways, you can love as many people as your heart desires and love them as many times as you want but your one true love only comes to you once…and when you found that person, go forward and make it happen.  

 

Seoul like everyday is just the same at this time of day. People from all walks of life were seen walking in a rush, eager to go home to their families, or some were rushing to grab some drinks with their friends and relax after a long tiring day from their respective jobs, while others, were just standing in the corner, observing people, like him.

 

Kwon Jiyong was standing at the bus stop with his headphones on, watching people passing by without interest. He glanced at his right then on his left and back to the front. He let out a sigh and slumped on the bench, shoving his hands inside the pocket of his hoodie as he felt the cool breeze of the night. He shivered slightly but then he relaxed as his body started to adjust.

 

He clicked his tongue as he check the time on his wrist watch. “7:45 PM” He whispered to himself as a smile slowly crept on his lips. It was time.

 

Right on cue, a petite girl with a skin as white as snow started coming towards the bus stop. Her almond eyes were tinkling and amusement was seen on her face, she was smiling brightly, greeting people that passes her way animatedly.

 

That smile.

 

It was amazing.

 

He felt elated just seeing her smile, it’s like it was already drawn permanently on her face, she just keeps on smiling even though the people she greeted ignores her. It’s been two weeks since he first saw her, she always pass by the bus stop at exactly 7:45 in the evening, and up until now he still doesn’t have the courage to speak to her.

 

As the girl neared the bus stop, Jiyong adjusted his hair bracing himself to talk to her but she only passed by him without a glance.  He let out a sigh, and mentally scolded himself for being such a coward. His eyes not leaving her retreating back. She was going somewhere else, he figured.

 

Jiyong startled when he heard the loud honking of the bus. The bus had arrived and he debated of whether to board or let go. He waited for others to climb inside and when it was his turn, a thought came on his mind. He took a step back and turn around. “God gave me this chance, so why would I want to waste it?” He mumbled, his eyes scanned the crowd looking for her.

 

Picking up his speed, he moved forward to where he last saw her and let out a sigh of relief when he found her. There she was, walking at a leisurely pace, with her usual bright smile on her face, the lights from the buildings reflecting on her brown orbs. He ran towards her, and when he was already a few steps away from her, he slowed down, mustering the courage to talk to her, careful not to surprise her and worst scare her.

 

He started following her. She took a turn in an alleyway and stopped at a book stall. She busied herself looking over at the books, he went to her and stood beside her, pretending that he was interested at the books. As he picked up books after books, he started sneaking glances at her.

 

She hadn’t noticed him.

 

A sound coming from a pile books that hits the ground reached his ears, he glanced her way and saw that she accidentally knocked down a few books, he bent down to pick them up and that’s when their eyes met.

 

It was magic.

 

He helped her put the books back to its original place and she gave him a smile. “Thank you” She muttered shyly, her cheeks with a hint of pink blush. Jiyong’s eyes widened and felt the beating of his heart accelerated.

 

She was beautiful. 

 

The prettiest girl he had ever seen.

 

Expressive almond eyes, soft pink thin lips, mesmerizing smile, silky skin.

 

Ethereal beauty.

 

He blinked twice and panicked when he realized that the girl is no longer standing in front of him. He saw her already a few feet away from the stall. He followed her, cursing himself for spacing out. He almost lost her. He quickly halted and looked away when she suddenly looked behind her. She must have felt someone is following her cause she kept glancing behind to catch him off guard. But he didn’t stop. He is determined. At the back of his mind, he knew that if he will let this chance pass, he will never see her again. He quickened his pace when he saw her entering a building. He ran as he saw her stepped inside the elevator. But it was too late. The door is almost closing, he saw her smiling at him but didn’t try to stop the lift.

 

She knew that he was following her.

 

Yellow. Slow down.

 

Love doesn’t need to be rush, because rush love tends to fade fast. Slow down and enjoy the journey. Love takes time.

 

Jiyong looked up and watched the number goes up and it stopped at the 6th. He debated whether to wait or go up. “What the hell?” He mumbled as he ran up the steps. He had come this far already, why would he back out now? He was panting and sweats started to form in his forehead when he reached the floor, he saw her coming out of an apartment and he quickly descended one floor down and waited for the lift to stop at the 5th.

 

Her eyes widened when he saw her as soon as the door opened, he quietly entered the lift and he saw her smile at him. “Which floor?” She asked.

 

“Ground” He answered.

 

The ride was silent, and Jiyong keeps on glancing at her, he bit his lips to stop himself from grinning when she does the same. This isn’t the right time to act cocky. He was still gathering his courage to talk to her and he wished that they would get stuck to buy him some time. In the end, he wasn’t able to do it. Dejected, he watched her as she walk out of the lift. “Maybe, some other time” He mumbled as he followed her out. He halted when he saw her standing by the entrance, with her usual bright smile, it’s as if, she was actually waiting for him.

 

“I'm Sandara Park” She said and his brow furrow in confusion. She giggled softly seeing him lost. "You're name?"

 

"Ji-Jiyong...Kwon Jiyong" He stuttered. Dara smiled playfully and simply nodded her head, then started walking outside the building, leaving him dumbfounded. “Well, are you coming or not?” He heard her say, he blink for the nth time and he unknowingly nodded at her as he followed her trail.

 

 

 

Red. Stop.

 

Loving someone so much doesn’t mean they’re the right one for us…that’s why we keep searching but once we finally found the one that is meant for us, we stop searching.

 

Jiyong’s eyes never left hers as they stroll the streets of Hongdae. A boyish grin rose on his lips as she giggled like a child. She was the cutest. “Hey let’s go for a walk!” He jumped in surprise when she suddenly turn to him and link her arm with his. “Come on!” He laughed when she linked their fingers and pulled him, letting her lead to where she wishes to go.  “I’m going to show you around” She said happily, placing her other hand on his bicep. Jiyong smirked and looked down at her, taking in the way her porcelain skin glowed under the neon lights brought by various establishments in the area. “Let’s go here!” She beamed at him as they entered a small bar.

 

Fortunately, they have managed to get seats at the crowded bar, an influence a beautiful lady like her can have, he realized. “What do you want to have?” Jiyong asked her after studying the menu.

 

“Miller, the light beer” She answered, and he was taken aback. The girl looks so innocent but he guess, it’s just how she looks. His ear snapped hearing her giggle and he stared at her confusedly “Relax, I’m already 26” She told him coolly and his jaw dropped upon hearing her. The girl ignored her and rolled her eyes “I usually drink scotch but since you’re new, I’ll go easy”

 

Hours gone by and Jiyong started to feel tired. They have gone to every bar the girl could think of, they even crashed at a private party and have the both of them kicked out. He realized the girl she’s with is not an ordinary one, but he’s not complaining, she was spontaneous and fun to be with. He did enjoy her company that he already forgot his purpose. It only dawned on him now that they are just sitting in the quiet in a vacant park.

 

“Do you believe in destiny?” Her voice resonated in the area, startling him. He glanced at her and she was looking at him hopefully, but he was caught off guard by her question that he wasn’t able to answer her. She pouted and rolled her eyes on him. She hugged her knees close to her chest and rested her chin on top. “They said if you meet the person you are destined to be with, you will just know it, and if you are really destined for each other, fate will bring you together…”

 

Jiyong leaned closer to her, and she blushed visibly when his gaze lingered on her lips, and unconsciously nibbled on her lower lip, her eyes gazing on his lips just the same. Their heads keep leaning closer and closer to each other, it’s as if there’s a magnetic force pulling them together and a blink of an eye, they felt each other’s lips on top of each other. He looked at her pleadingly and when she closed her eyes, he immediately moved his lips against her and kissed her tenderly.

 

Go forward. Slow down. Stop.

 

Traffic light.