PROBLEM & The Break-up

Because It's Not You

 

 

                “Oppa, where are you? I’ve been standing here for half an hour now”

                “I forgot. Min Ah, I’m sorry. I got a lot of papers to do. I forgot. Sorry, I promise I’ll make it up to you tomorrow. Okay. I’ll hang up now. I love you. Bye” there was nothing else to hear but the end tone on the other side.

                “Choi Seung Hyun, you jerk. How can you forget our anniversary? How can you make me wait on a snowy day outside the movie theater?”

                You ripped the movie tickets in half and started to walk towards the bus stop. It was colder today than the past few days, but still, you waited outside wanting to see him as soon as possible. He’s been busy for the past few weeks, and it’s been a while since you saw each other. You miss him, you wanted to have a day with him, just one day would have been fine, but no, he had to be busy. But no matter how busy a guy is there’s no excuse to forget your anniversary.

                You wiped the tears that was clouding your vision and went inside the bus. You sat at the corner and held your phone as it kept vibrating. It was Eun Jung, your best friend probably asking if your jerk of a boyfriend arrived yet.          

                “Ahh, just stop crying will you. Get a grip. If he forgot then forget about him!” you told yourself as you answered the call

                “Yah! Park Min Ah! Why won’t you answer your phone? Is he there yet?”

                “I – I, Unnie”

                “Yah, are you crying? Did that bastard made you cry again? Yah!? Where are you?”

                “I’m on my way home. Unnie, he-he forgot o-our an-anniversary” you managed to say, before Eun Jung could say anything else you burst out crying, people in the bus looking at you strangely, some looking at you with pitiful looks.

                “Min Ah ya, stop crying okay, people at the bus must think you’re crazy. So stop, come to the café I’ll make your favorite hot chocolate drink okay. Breathe. Breathe. I’ll hang up now okay. Breathe Min Ah” you ended the call and calmed yourself.

                It’s been a year since you and Seung Hyun started dating, there were times when he forgot about your planned date but you never really got mad at him since he would always make up for it, but it’s been weeks since you’ve seen him, ate with him, touch him. You just wanted to spend the day with him especially on your Anniversary, but he had to ruin it all by forgetting you ever had one. Just a simple ‘Sorry, Happy Anniversary, I love you’ on the phone would’ve made it okay but no. He never said those words, just sorry, nothing else.

                “Yah, you should just break up him. Just end this stupid relationship Min Ah. Since it never really seemed like a relationship in the first place. What kind of boyfriend forgets a date he planned? Min Ah. Stop this nonsense, before you get hurt” Your Best friend practically begged

                “I love him, Eun Jung. He’s my first on everything” Tears started to form again as you remembered all those times you spent together, Eun Jung grabbed you face and wiped the tears that fell.

                “Min Ah, believe me when I say this okay? Even though you love him nothing will happen when he doesn’t love you back. So stop this nonsense that you call a relationship” she grabbed you by the shoulders, shaking you.

                You closed your eyes as tears started to flow out of them, you knew she was right. Eun Jung was right, she’s always been right, you had to end it. But how can you end something that you never even though of ending? How can you stop loving someone who you’ve loved since the first time he said ‘Hi’?

                It didn’t made sense.

                But it did, its cold love. You’re the only one who’s trying to keep it warm.

                You’re the only one who was trying to work it out.

                You took your phone and dialed Seung Hyun’s number

                “What are you doing?”

                “Ending it” you said. He picked up

                “Hello? Who’s this?” A woman asked

                “Babe, who is it?” You heard his voice, he’s with a girl.

                Babe? You felt your legs get weak you grabbed the table trying to balance yourself.

                “Hello?” Seung Hyun said on the phone

                “Oppa”

                “Min Ah” shock present in his voice

                “You, y-you were cheating while I was waiting in the cold? You’re really making me laugh”

                “Min Ah”

                “No, don’t talk. You’re a Jerk. I’m never going to forgive you. I hate you”

                “Min Ah, I’m-“ you ended the call before he could lie his way out again.

                “He has another girl?” Eun Jung asked, you didn’t need to say anything else, she pulled you into a hug and soothed you back

                “He’s going to pay. We’ll make him pay”

                “I don’t want to. I just want to forget a bastard like him ever existed”

                “Okay, if that’s what you want”

                “Thank you Unnie, for being here for me” you broke the hug and smiled at your Best Friend

                “C’mon let stuff our tummy with chicken and coke”

                “And chocolate” you said smiling, Eun Jung Pinched you cheek and smiled

                “And chocolate” she agreed with a big smile

 

                After crying and laughing over the weekend, Monday came and you’re late. With puffy eyes and dark circles you grabbed you things and ran outside your apartment.

                When you got inside the classroom everyone got quiet. The Professor looked at your direction with a displeased look.

                “Sorry, Sir. Won’t happen again”

                “Take your seat Ms. Kim, I don’t need false promises this early in the morning”

                “Yes sir” you said quietly as you sat beside Dongwoo

                “Yah, did you cry?” Dongwoo whispered

                “N-No, just slept late last night” you lied putting on your glasses

                “You’re seriously bad at lying” Dongwoo said a little amused and a little concerned, but instead on pressing on the subject he took his pen and started copying whatever writings the board contained.

                “Wanna eat lunch together?” Dongwoo asked as you packed your things

                “What about your friends?”

                “They’ll manage without me. You on the other hand seem like someone who needs company today” he said taking your other books

                “Thank you Sunbae, I really appreciate it”

                “Then you owe me a cup of coffee” he said enthusiastically

                “Okay, sure. Let’s go, I’m hungry”