CHAPTER 4 : Let the Reason Be Love

MAN IN LOVE

 

                                                        

                 Sung Jong and Woohyun were very immersed in their conversation when the doorbell suddenly rang. The doorbell to the Lee residence doesn’t usually rings however when it does, it could only mean two things : either it was Sung Jong’s uncle returning home from business trips or Lee Jong Kook, Sung Jong’s overly protective cousin who returns home from college lectures.

Omo!? So soon!? Jong Kook hyung doesn’t even know that Myungsoo-ssi has been sleeping here since last night and I can’t let him see Woohyun-ssi either or I’ll be dead meat before I get to explain myself!

“Hmm? You’re not gonna go and get that? Should I get it for you, then?” Woohyun slowly gets up from his seat at the counter and leisurely walks towards the door to answer it. Alerted, Sung Jong drops the mug that he was holding and raced after Woohyun who already had his hand on the door knob. Sung Jong was able to grasp Woohyun’s coat and drag him away from the door.

“W-what? What’s the matter?” Woohyun yelps.

“SHH. It’s my cousin and he doesn’t know that Myungsoo-ssi has been staying here! I can’t let him know just yet because he’ll surely kick Myungsoo and you out of the house!” Sung Jong hisses at Woohyun as he puts a finger onto his mouth, indicating that the doctor should turn down his volume. While displaying a puzzled look, the doctor was pushed into the storeroom under the staircase and was told to stay in there till Sung Jong comes back to get him. Without another glance at the doctor, Sung Jong slams the storeroom’s door shut and went to answer the door. True enough, it was really Jong Kook. Dressed primly with a heavy-looking backpack strapped on one shoulder. He cheerfully greets Sung Jong and lifts up a paper bag, “Good afternoon, Sung Jongie! See? I bought you cake. We’ll have it during dinner,” Jong Kook beams as he steps inside the house. Not wanting to spoil Jong Kook’s mood, Sung Jong grits his teeth as he carefully closes the door, “So, uh, how was college? Good? How were your teachers today?”

“Oh? They were fine alright. My day was good too but---“ Jong Kook drops his backpack on one of the counter’s seats and casually sets the paper bag onto the kitchen counter when something odd caught his eyes.

“Huh? Jongie, did you have guests?”

Sung Jong whips his head towards Jong Kook and realized that the teapot and the two mugs that he had placed on the counter was still in their respective positions. Attempting not to sound like a chicken nor act like a man on fire, Sung Jong coolly contorts, “No? I was just making tea for… us. I was waiting for you to get home from the lectures,”

Jong Kook nods but frowns as soon as he saw the pieces of a fallen mug scattered on the kitchen’s rug, “But why did you take out three mugs?”

“I-I was immersed in remembering the formulas that my teacher gave that I didn’t realize that I took out three mugs instead of just…two,” Sung Jong bit his lower lip as he shuffles awkwardly towards the storeroom. Trying to block it from Jong Kook’s field of vision.

Jong Kook eyes Sung Jong as he rubs his chin, “Did something happen? Be honest with me and tell me, what’s going on, Sung Jong-ah?”

‘Ah, nothing! Really! Nothing is wrong and nothing is going on!” Sung Jong waves his hands frantically before him, making Jong Kook even more curious. Jong Kook proceeds towards the storeroom’s door, ignoring a screaming Sung Jong and forced the door open, causing Woohyun’s body to jerk forward and topple down, knees first.

“Ah… Good day, sir. I love your storeroom. It’s clean and dust-free. Say, what vacuum model did you use?” Woohyun scratches his cheek as he finds himself staring at an erupting volcano. Jong Kook turns slowly to his right to look at Sung Jong and was about to open his mouth when a wet-haired Myungsoo came running down the staircase with nothing on but just a towel hanging from his waist. “Yah, Sung Jongie, Woohyun-ssi! What’s taking so long---?” He stops as soon as he saw Jong Kook standing in front of a kneeling Nam Woohyun.

“Eh? Brother-in-law!”

With his eyes scanning Myungsoo’s sudden appearance at the kitchen, Jong Kook’s mouth fell open and was about to shout on the top of his lungs when the doorbell suddenly rings and two male students enters the house. “Sorry for intruding but the door was not locked---“ It was Sung Yeol and Hoya. Each bruised all over and had their uniforms drenched in blood.

Unable to take in anymore surprises for the day, Jong Kook closes his eyes briefly and takes in deep breaths before screaming :

“WHAT’S GOING ON HERE!?”

 

 

“SO… what you’re trying to tell me now is that you are married to this man over here, who is also the same man who kidnapped you last night. He is the heir of a mafia clan and that man over there is his family’s doctor. They are from Japan and they could not find a place to crash so they decided to stay here instead? Is that what this is all about?” Jong Kook crosses his arms over his chest as he points his index finger towards Myungsoo who has been nodding approvingly and at Woohyun who is dabbing iodine onto an injury on Sung Yeol’s cheek.

Jong Kook pauses as he his head to his right and shuffles his position towards Sung Yeol and Hoya.  

“While you two were threatened and beaten to a pulp by an ‘acquaintance’ of a man named Kim Myungsoo—“

Myungsoo raises his hand, indicating that he is the owner of the name.

“YAH! WHO’D BELIEVE SUCH A CRAPPY MAKE-BELIEVE STORY!? Mafia? Do you even know what century we’re living in? It’s already 2013! I repeat, 2013! And you, mafia boss, are you gay? I know, Sung Jong is pretty and all but he’s also a man! NAMJAYO! NAMJAAAA!” Jong Kook bursts as he slaps the kitchen’s table, causing Hoya to abruptly wake up from his nap and holds up his fists like a boxer.

“Well, I don’t care whether if you believe it or not, but Sung Jong is currently my fiancée… WIFE, to be exact. And I have sworn to live here, under the same roof as him till the day he graduates from high school so I could bring him over to Japan. Understand?” Myungsoo, who was still half-, affectionately wraps an arm around Sung Jong who was been tensed since Jong Kook’s mad outburst. Sung Jong was unable to say a word since then and only peeks occasionally at each person in the kitchen.

“Forget it. Sung Jong lives here with me and my father. We are what’s left of the Lee family and we can’t afford to lose him to a dirty man like you…” Jong Kook trails off and stops as soon as he realized that Sung Jong was tugging on the hem of his shirt with his head hanging low and his hands trembling.

Just then, images of a skinny-looking young lad in black flashes across Jong Kook’s cloudy mind. That boy who never spoke, laughed or ate, wailed continuously as he stuffs himself with ramyun in the kitchen while Jong Kook and his father watched intently with watery eyes.

“Jong Kook hyung… I know that I sound like an ungrateful bastard but… could you… could you let this slide for once? C-could you… could you please let them stay here for awhile? At least, till uncle returns back from India, could they please stay here with us?” Huge droplets drip onto the floor, causing Jong Kook to freeze and Myungsoo to glower.

How long has it been since you last asked…

Jong Kook exhales, closes his eyes and hugs Sung Jong, “Fine. Just till then, they could stay,”

 

 

“YAAAAH. Sung Jong sleeps over here with me!”

It has been nearly 2 hours since they had finally come to a conclusion : The mafia heir, Kim Myungsoo is permitted to stay at the Lee Residence together with his family’s doctor Nam Woohyun. While two of Sung Jong’s childhood friends, Lee Ho Won and Lee Sung Yeol were told to temporarily live in the same house due to safety reasons. Everybody agreed in unison yet Sung Jong still hasn’t recovered from his shock. His shock that his ever so protective cousin is letting everything go the way it is… with four main conditions :

  1. Sung Jong is not allowed to be alone in the same room as Kim Myungsoo.
  2. Nobody is allowed to go out of the house without permission.
  3. Nobody is allowed to have parties over.
  4. They’ll have to split the house’s bill among them by working part-time at the family’s ramyun shop.

 

Jong Kook had retyped the words on a piece of red paper . He sticks it onto Sung Jong’s bedroom’s door with a cellophane tape as the other’s lie on futons that Sung Jong had laid out for them to sleep on. Sung Jong is placed between Jong Kook and Hoya while Myungsoo is on the opposite side of the living room with Woohyun on one side and Sung Yeol on the other.

“This is totally unfair…” Myungsoo sighs as he stretches out his right hand, trying to reach Sung Jong, who has been playing with his cat, Sunshine after taking a hot bath.

Hoya instantly slaps the younger man’s hand away and perch himself on one arm, “Yah, as long as I’m around you’re not touching a single hair on Sung Jong’s body. Mark my words,” Hoya squints his eyes as he grounds his head back into a pillow, ready to sleep. The others started to yawn and everybody fell asleep soon after. However a certain pair of husband and wife is still wide awake.

 

 

After having himself  tossing and turning in his futon for nearly 30 minutes, Sung Jong decided to go down to the kitchen to make himself a cup of chamomile tea like how he usually does when he can’t get a wink of sleep. Sung Jong took out his favorite mug and a tea bag from the cabinet, and opened the kitchen’s window while waiting for the water to boil without realizing that Myungsoo has been staring at him intently at the kitchen’s doorway. Leaning on the door frame with a crooked smile for the past few minutes. Sung Jong gave a small shriek as soon as he turns away from the sink because Myungsoo is standing right in front of him with his hands shoved in his pockets. Sung Jong ended up hitting Myungsoo’s chest with his fist but quickly apologized. Slowly, a layer of silence settled between them, causing the younger boy to become awkward and uncomfortable with their sudden closeness. Myungsoo is towering over him and if Sung Jong does not act careful enough, he might end up head-butting the mafia boss if he looked up. “Sung jong-ah,”

The abrupt sound of the kettle shrieking on the stove gave Sung Jong a small jolt as he snaps himself back to reality. “Myungsoo-ssi… you really gave me a fright. You should have said something, seriously!” Sung Jong quickly dismissed the elder boy and went over to the stove to get the kettle but his trembling hand accidentally touched the hot, burning surface of the kettle. Without realizing it, Myungsoo already has his hand on Sung Jong’s wrist.

“Ah, Myungsoo-ssi I’m fine. It’s just---“ Myungsoo jerks the hand closer and carefully kisses the injured fingers without removing his eyes from Sung Jong’s watery brown orbs. Breathing slowly as he wallows up Sung Jong’s flushed face. Drinking in the features of his beloved man who was squirming at his touch and lost of words to say. Sung Jong shakes his head furiously as he tries to pull away. Resist and escape because he needs to calm down. Situations like these could only happen on paper. In manga. And only to girls. He was never gay in the first place. That’s right… but why is his heart beating like this for this man? Why does he feel like touching this man? Why can’t he seem to get this man out of his mind?

Sung Jong grits his teeth and look straight into Myungsoo’s eyes, “Stop this… please…”

Myungsoo’s smile evaporated as soon as he heard Sung  Jong’s cold words. He knows that Sung Jong wouldn’t like their intimacy but he couldn’t seem to stop himself nor hold back any longer. Pulling Sung Jong into a tight embrace, a tear slowly slides down Sung Jong’s cheek.

“I’m so sorry if this hurts… Being with me is hurting you, isn’t it? I have one request though… even if you hate me, please don’t show it,”

Sung Jong gasps and tries to pull away but was unable to.

“Even if you loathe me like death, please… please don’t ever show it because I know that I wouldn’t stand to see it happen and I don’t know what I might ever have do to make it up to you,” His hand slowly caresses Sung Jong’s ruffled hair as though he knows that Sung Jong is crying on his shoulder. Sobbing and sniffing in silence.

“Myungsoo-ssi…” The younger boy slowly pulls away to peek at Myungsoo’s face. He was smiling but near to tears. Myungsoo slowly places a palm onto Sung Jong’s face and kisses his cheek. “You… you are more than what I expected. I was so surprised that I became scared. Full of happiness and sunshine… the total opposite of me,” Myungsoo sniffs back his tears and was about to turn away when Sung Jong suddenly hugs him. Burying his face deep into Myungsoo’s chest while sobbing loudly, “I’m sorry. I needed time to swallow and digest everything up till now…. My heart beats fast whenever I see you. I can’t seem to breathe right when I think about you and I can’t stop worrying and worrying and worrying! But I never thought that… I needed you so badly that I don’t want you to disappear. I---“

Sung Jong’s voice trails off as Myungsoo inches his face closer to Sung Jong’s and smiles, “Is this your confession?”

Sung Jong gulps and nods slowly, “So what?” there was a brief silence.

“Oh nothing…” Myungsoo chuckles as he dips his head slowly and lands a soft kiss onto Sung Jong’s trembling lips. Sung Jong twitches and muffles but slowly closes his eyes and surrenders. Neither of them broke away from the kiss. Each were holding on to the other. Myungsoo abruptly carries Sung Jong by the waist and places him onto the kitchen’s counter without breaking contact. Myungsoo initiatively slides his tongue into Sung Jong’s mouth, causing Sung Jong to shiver.

The elder boy’s eyes flutter open to see his beloved wife blushing madly with tears pouring down his cheeks.

“Sung Jong-ah…” He slowly pulls away as he holds the younger boy’s face in between his palms. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine, thank you. In fact, I feel better than ever…” Sung Jong sniffs and smiles sweetly.

Ah. Waiting for you and coming here was worth it after all. 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE : HELLO! THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR READING CHAPTER 4! I'M JUST SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW! 27 SUBSCRIBERS!? THAT'S SO AWESOME. HAHA. ANYWAY, THE FOURTH CHAPTER IS HERE AND I REALIZED HOW EMOTIONAL IT TURNS OUT. SHOULD I ADD IN 'ANGST' FOR THIS SERIES? MAYBE I SHOULD. BUT THANK YOU FOR READING! IF THE REVIEWS ARE GOOD, I'LL CONTINUE! DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS TOO! TILL THEN~