CHAPTER 3 : You Are More Than What Meets The Eyes

MAN IN LOVE

 

                                                       

             

                  Kim Myungsoo, the heir of the Kim mafia clan does not sleep less than 9 hours a day unless he has to temporarily fill in his father’s position while the 60-year-old man goes on business trips overseas with other influential mafia bosses. He may seem like a slacker but Myungsoo always has his hands full with things he never fancied doing. Even so, he tends to complete his tasks properly and meticulously as to not leave stains of guilt in his chest or harbor feelings of being unsatisfied after having to cut down 6 hours of his regular sleep to be father’s good boy. Paperwork, debt collecting, attending tea ceremonies, paperwork, going to his father’s book club and last but not least, more paperwork. Today, is no exception. Myungsoo was forced out of Sung Jong’s wonderful, comfy bed and out of the house at 9 o’clock in the morning with an injured calf to fetch paperwork freshly imported by his father’s Korean minions at a taxi stop. 30 minutes since then, Myungsoo has been stamping, writing, signing and yawning consecutively till his eyes suddenly ran into a familiar looking object… It was one of his favorite cameras that he brought along with him during the trip to Korea. He plans to record everything that he could of Korea and his beloved Sung Jong. He carefully picks it up from his backpack, examines it and chuckles. It was a Canon product. The Canon EOS C100 Cinema EOS Camera that his father bought for him during one of his birthdays. He loves taking photographs but videos… aren’t his forte. “Whatever, it’s worth a shot…”

Myungsoo clicks the ‘on’ button and slowly steadies himself from floor while carrying the camera close to his chest.  “Alrighty, camera. We’re gonna have so much fun doing this. I promise you, it’ll be far more exciting than a paper-staring-contest,” Myungsoo begins to limp towards Sung Jong’s wardrobe with the camera. “Let’s start here, shall we?” Myungsoo chuckles to himself.

Myungsoo spent nearly 40 minutes going through every little possession Sung Jong has in his room. From clothes and accessories to books on the shelf above Sung Jong’s bed to his collection of mini colorful action figures lined on his desk. Myungsoo was having fun staring at framed photos of Sung Jong as a child when he suddenly noticed the cupboard situated under the wall of photos. Myungsoo cautiously pulls one of the drawers and saw a yellow cardboard tucked under a line of familiar objects. They were gifts that Myungsoo sent to Sung Jong during their 4 years of online chats. He recognize the colorful troika which was given to him by his late grandmother that he entrusted Sung Jong to keep, the mini clay figurine that he made in an art class during middle school and the small origami pocket book that he bought during one of Sung Jong’s birthdays.

 “But… what’s this?” Myungsoo places the camera onto the cupboard and slowly pulls the yellow cardboard out of the drawer.

Myungsoo’s eyes widen in surprise to find that the cardboard was pasted with multiples of photographs. Photographs of Japan taken by him. Above the pictures was a set of words that made Myungoo’s heart leaps a beat : ‘JAPAN DREAM DATE WITH SUPERL’ by Lee Sung Jong.

Myungsoo crouches while still holding onto the cardboard. Grinning with a flushed face. Oh boy.

 

 

After listening to what Hoya and Sung Yeol had said, Sung Jong was unable to concentrate on anything when the teachers were teaching at the front of the classroom. Sung Jong even screamed at a bird that was perching on the window pane because he didn’t notice it at first. Whatever it is, Sung Jong was immediately sent to the hallway to reflect upon his rude act.

Sung Jong pouts as he stares down at his school shoes, “It’s all because of that terrible Myungsoo-sshi… I can’t help but worry about him…”

“Myungsoo-ssi? Are you… Are you talking about KIM Myungsoo?” A voice approached close to Sung Jong’s right ear that startled him to give a small yelp. Sung Jong whips his head towards the source of the voice and saw an unfamiliar elder boy with prominent almond shaped eyes standing before him with a backpack strapped on one shoulder.

He sure does have small eyes, Sung Jong noted to himself as the stranger steps closer to him.

“W-what do you want?”

“Ah… Myungsoo-ah sure does have good taste,” the elder boy chuckles to himself but was loud enough to have Sung Jong hear his every word and cringe to his tone of voice.

“Uh… how did you know Myungsoo-ssi? Are you an acquaintance of his?”

“Acquaintance? Oh, we’re… more than that. Anyway, I’d like to talk to you more so, let’s meet during lunch break. I’ll see you on the rooftop. Bye, junior,” The odd sunbae left as he skips his way to the nearest stair case.

Before Sung Jong was able to process what he had just gotten himself into, the elder boy was already out of sight.

Great. Now, I have triple dates.

Sung Jong digs his hand deep into his right pocket of his slacks and fishes out the ring Myungsoo gave him. He inspects it and pouts as he notices his name engraved on the internal part of the ring together with a symbol.

Infinity huh? Man, it’s genuine.

 

 

Lunch break came fast and Sung Jong decided that he will stick with his appointment with Hoya hyung and Sung Yeol hyung as they were the first ones to invite him to have lunch together.

Besides, avoid danger as much as I can, and I’ll be free from being labeled as a delinquent!

Sung Jong was just about to exit his classroom when the odd sunbae from earlier appeared at the entrance, grinning. Sung Jong gasps and quickly turned around to exit through the alternative door but had his arms scooped up by two burly male students.

“YAH! Sunbae! Let me go! I have to see my friends! I don’t want to chit chat with you!” Sung Jong shrieks as he was ‘escorted’ out of the classroom. Seeing that his classmates started to notice the event, Sung Jong whimpers as he covers up his face.

“Listen to me well and you’ll be fine…” The sunbae chuckles as he leads the way to the rooftop.

“NO! NO! NO! Let me go! Hoya and Sung Yeol hyung are waiting for me, you hamster!”

The elder boy stops in his tracks and slowly turns to face Sung Jong. He snickers, “They’re ‘taken care’ of. Oh, and the name’s Kim Sunggyu. And I’m a senior so show some respect will you?”

Sung Jong gasps as he turns to look at the other two men.

“YAH! And how old are YOU two!? 30!? I thought so!” Sung Jong furiously puffs.

This is BAD. REAL BAD. Hoya and Sung Yeol hyung are already dead… If I don’t do something…

Sung Jong quickly shoot out his index finger towards the crowded hallway “TEACHER! TEACHER! Help me! I’m being bullied by three sunbaes!”

The disciplinary teacher who was taking a stroll down the hall saw the scenario and quickly made his way towards the four of them. The two men loosened their grip and Sunggyu was too distracted to notice that Sung Jong was already making a beeline for the staircase.

“YAH! Don’t let him go! Catch him!” by then Sunggyu was already caught by the furious teacher but the other two were already gone, chasing Sung Jong who was sprinting towards the school’s gate.

Why are they still chasing me!? I can’t afford to skip any classes!

Sung Jong bites his lower lip, squeezes his eyes shut and continued his great escape out through the school’s metallic gates.

 

 

Sung Jong was half way through the journey back home (while still at full speed) when the other two males fell to the pavement, panting and exhausted. Being a champion in the track and field club was worth it, Sung Jong wipes off a sweat from his forehead as he enters his house.

Ah… should I tell Myungsoo-ssi about what had happened at school today?

Whatever it was, Sung Jong was glad that Jong Kook was still away at college that morning.

Sung clenches his fists as he climbs the stairs, walk towards his bedroom’s door and pauses. He in deep breaths as he opens the door.

“Ah? Sung Jongie? Back already?” Sung Jong smiles as he saw Myungsoo sitting on the chair of his study desk with a laptop opened in front of him and piles of paper covering every inch of the table. A pair of spectacles drooping on the edge of his nose as he grins.

“Earth to Jongie, why are you back so early?”

Sung Jong closes the door behind him as he walks slowly towards Myungsoo who already has his hands stretched out, wanting to wallow up his beautiful wife.

“You haven’t taken a bath?” Sung Jong frowns as he pushes Myungsoo’s hands away.

Myungsoo shakes his head with an ear-to-ear smile, “Well, I wanted to have a bath with my wife. Come, let’s---“

“Uh, Myungsoo-ah and Sung Jong-ssi… I know it seems rude (and I don’t think I would mind it) but would you like me to stand here and watch all of ‘that’ to happen?” Alerted, Sung Jong whips his head towards the voice and saw a tall male dressed in white carrying a suit case while standing at the far corner of his room.

“Aigoo, Woohyun hyung, I told you didn’t I? If my wife returns home, quickly get out of the room because---“

“YAH! WHO ARE YOU!?” Sung Jong shrieks as he juts out a finger towards the stranger. The man shyly adjusts his glasses and smiles.

“Wow, Myungsoo-ah… you have such a perky wife. A little rude but I’m sure you’ll be able to tame her,” The man gave a thumbs up and Myungsoo nods in approval, “Yes, I agree. I believe that I’m capable in doing so,”.

Sung Jong turns back to glare at Myungsoo, “And you! Don’t keep on letting strangers into my house! My cousin will BLOW UP if he sees you two!”

“Calm down. His my family’s personal doctor and he came to inspect my wound…”

“YOU HURT YOURSELF!? Agh. Whatever, you two… just…” Sung Jong sighs as he turns towards the door and left the room, “I’ll go make some tea…”

 

 

“Sung Jong-ssi! Wait up!” The doctor, Nam Woohyun, trails behind Sung Jong as he chuckles to himself. Sung Jong ignores the man and proceeds towards the kitchen. Woohyun took a seat at the counter and watches Sung Jong as he expertly picks out a tea bag from a box and boils the water.

“I’m glad… I’m glad that Myungsoo-ah was able to meet you…” Woohyun smiles, “He always brags about you to his father, siblings and me. He loves you very much, you know? He whines whenever you delay your replies and he complains that you live in Korea instead of Japan! Cheesy ain’t he?”

Sung Jong looks up from the tea pot and stares at Woohyun who only beams with pride and joy, “Have you known Myungsoo-ssi for a long time now?”

Woohyun nods.

“If so… will you tell me how… uh, how did Myungsoo-ssi came to like me so much when were just basically online friends?”

Woohyun pouts as he claps his hands together, “Well, I was just an apprentice when he started to know you through an online chat room. During that period of time, Myungsoo-ah… He lost his mother. His father was a total wreck and spoiled his health. Myungsoo was only 13 when those things happened but he didn’t receive any from of love nor support and empathy from his other siblings…”

“Eh? Why is that---?”

“You see, Myungsoo-ah is the son of his father’s mistress. You might picture him as ‘Cinderella’ but unfortunately, Myungsoo’s father loves him best out of the other family members. I’m guessing that this was due to the fact that the mistress was a childhood sweetheart… And so, Myungsoo was easily bullied by his eldest brother who thought that Myungsoo has the potential of snatching his rights as heir to the mafia clan. Poor lad was locked out of the house whenever the father was away on business trips.”

“But what does this has got to do with me?” Sung Jong blinks.

There was a brief silence as Woohyun lets out a small laugh.

“Haven’t I told you? He hadn’t receive any form of kindness from his siblings after the loss of his mother. Myungsoo only had you.”

AUTHOR'S NOTE : THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR READING CHAPTER 3! I APOLOGIZE BEFORE HAND IF THE CHARACTERS GO WEIRD OR OOC! I HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOY AND I KNOW THAT I UPDATE LIKE A TURTLE. I'M SORRY BUT PLEASE HAVE MERCY UPON ME! (I'M HUMAN, TOO! TT^TT) IF THERE ARE GOOD REVIEWS, I'LL CONTINUE THE SERIES! PLEASE LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS TOO! PEACE OUT!