CHAPTER 1 : A Man With A Loaded Gun Can Never Be A Good One

MAN IN LOVE

 

             Sung Jong cracks open his hazel eyes that very morning upon finding his head bleeding. He didn’t feel it till huge drops of red splattered on his bed sheets. Alerted, Sung Jong scrambles up from his bed and accidentally tripped as his face landed on his alarm clock. Displaying that it was already 6.30 in the morning. Ignoring the pain, Sung Jong screams as he grabs his towel from the rack and dashes towards his family’s bathroom. “What!? It’s THIS late and I can’t believe I slept on!” The boy took a quick shower before putting on his ironed school uniform. After arranging his books for school, Sung Jong raced down to the kitchen with his backpack strapped onto his shoulders, ate a bowl of ramen as quick as he could, gulped down a cup of green tea and put on his shoes as he takes a brief glance towards the empty hallway and grins happily at his laptop resting on the kitchen’s counter as he chimes, “I’m leaving for school now!”

 

 

“Sung Jong made it safe to school without a hitch,” was what he proudly told his two best friends. Apparently his trip to school was maddening. He was chased by the neighbor’s dog, missed his school bus and accidentally slipped on a pool of rain water on his way to the school’s building. Luckily, some of his female classmates saw him and helped him to the nurse’s office to get treatment and a change of new dry clothes. Such kind people he has been acquainted with, he sighs contently. He could have remained kneeling in that pool of rain water with an exasperated look on his face if they didn’t approached him.

 

His face may emits rays of sunshine and his mouth may spout rainbows but Lee Ho Won and Lee Sungyeol are not born yesterday. They have known Lee Sung Jong for far too long to even buy his story.

“Yah! You think I’d believe that! You weren’t in class up till now and where do we find you? In the infirmary!” Ho Won shouts as he slaps his knee. “Don’t you dare talk again like that with us!”

Sung Jong cringes at Hoya’s sudden rage but peeks at Sung Yeol who has been shaking his head ever since entering the infirmary to see Sung Jong plastered with bandages on his knees and head.

“Aigoo, Sung Jong-ah. What a mess you are! Who would’ve thought that the school’s golden student is such a clutz with super bad luck!” Sung Yeol clicks his tongue as he ruffles Sung Jong’s soft hair. “You better watch out, okay? I guess you can’t help it… your house is far from this school. Who wouldn’t run into such things. But don’t you find it a bother to come here to and fro every day?”

Sung Jong shakes his head with a smile. But honestly, it really is a bother. Sung Jong does live really far from Woolim Academy but he just can’t kick a scholarship offer so easily without second thoughts since his from an average family with a low income. His adopted and he can’t trouble his uncle anymore than he has to. Woolim Academy was his ticket. His ticket to fly to Japan, to work there and meet his online ‘pen pal’ that he met on a social website.

“It’s not a bother…” He smiles.

“Hm. Speaking of which, you live in The Chamomile Residence right? Recently I’ve heard  rumors about suspicious looking men lurking around there just a few days ago. They strike up random pedestrians  and ask weird questions. So, I hope you would take good care of yourself and walk home with care. You could always ask me or Sung Yeol to walk with you, you know…” Hoya crosses his arms on his chest and reminded Sung Jong thoughtfully.

“Really? Well, I think… I’ll be fine. If there really is anything unusual, I’ll call you guys!”

“Yup, we’ll be there to the rescue!” They laugh as they posed proudly like superheroes. 

 

Nobody knows this fact but Lee Sung Jong, who is the school’s golden boy has a Japanese pen pal ever since he was in middle school. They met in an online chat room and chatted for hours. Surprisingly, both of them had such good chemistry despite harboring complete opposites of personalities. They shared nearly everything with each other except for their personal individual lives. Name, gender and age were the only things that Sung Jong has never known of this friend of his. Whatever it is, Sung Jong knows that she is a good-natured girl who is sometimes silent yet has a deep love for the world since ‘she’ likes to take photos of the things around her.

Today, Sung Jong returned home upon discovering a yellow box tied securely with a pink ribbon. Sung Jong stared at it and poked it. He gave a small yelp when it suddenly shuffled and toppled. Curiosity quickly overtook him causing Sung Jong to untie the box and open the lid in haste. “I wonder what this is…” He peeks in to find an orange colored kitten leaping onto him. It was still a baby and has a yellow color around its neck. “Hey, what were you doing in there…” Sung Jong was very confused till his mobile phone rung with a familiar ring tone.

He flips his phone open and saw a mail from his ‘pen pal’.

SuperL: Good afternoon, Lucky! I hope you like the cat. You’ve always wanted a cat and complained that you’re always bored being alone at home. Here, you can have mine’s :D

 

(Sung jong’s jaw drops as he squeals excitedly.)

 

LuckyLemon: Thank you L! This is lovely! I love it! Love it! Love it! <3

SuperL: No problem. How are you today? It’s hot here in Japan and I'm currently at Narita Airport. But the cherry blossoms are blooming beautifully. Here’s a picture I took.

LuckyLemon: Oh it really is! I’m doing fine. You know what happened? I was nearly late to school but I was safe! =_=” whew.  Oh and I scratched my knees and injured my head…

SuperL: Woah? O_O Why… I mean, how did that happened??

LuckyLemon: Too long a story. I got to go now. Need to start my part time job. Bye and thanks again for the lovely gift! I’ll cherish it forever.

SuperL: Okay. By the way, see you soon.

 

Sung Jong already had his cell phone shut before even read the last sentence. Whatever it is, his certain that his day can’t get any better than this.

The time passed by as quick as lightning and it was finally closing time. Lee Jong Kook, Lee Sung Jong’s cousin, who is currently taking care of his family’s ramen shop happily slaps Sung Jong’s back and proudly chimed, “Heard you’re on the top of your class again, kid. Proud of you!”

“Sure, sure. Now finish up everything! I want to go to sleep!” Sung Jong laughs as he shoos the elder out of the ramen shop with the garbage. The man left to throw the trash with an ear-to-ear smile but came running back in pools of sweat.

Bewildered, Sung Jong opened the door quickly and asked what was the matter.

“Yah, Lee Sung Jong! What have you gotten yourself into!?” Jong Kook grabs his shoulders and shakes him.

“Eh?” Before Sung Jong was able to ask anymore questions, a limo stopped right in front of his doorstep and men in black suit lined out with guns in their hands. Soon, a tall, model-like figure dressed fashionably in a sergeant pepper coat stepped out of the vehicle with a pair of thick sunglasses.

Jong Kook Stepped right in front of Sung Jong with his arms stretched out beside him like an eagle. Protecting Sung Jong.

“Jong… Jong Kook-oppa, what’s going on!?” Sung Jong panicked as the male steps closer to them.

“I have no idea… YAH! Don’t come near! I’ll call the police!” Jong Kook threatened but to no avail, was pushed away easily by the mysterious boy. “Police?” A husky voice chimes. “Oh no, that’ll be too troublesome. Don’t you agree, Lucky?” The boy snakes an arm around Sung Jong’s waist and tilts his chin upwards.

Sung Jong’s eyes widen in surprise and was about to say more before a fair finger was put onto his lips.

The boy lowered his sunglasses exposing two twinkling eye-smiles contently boring into Sung Jong’s own brown orbs.

He may be a gorgeous boy but who is he anyway!?, Sung Jong struggles to get free but was already heaved by the taller male onto his shoulder.

“Alrighty. Mission complete. Oh and, I’ll return him before midnight, brother-in-law!” The boy smiles as he exited the ramen shop with a screaming ‘princess’.