Awkward

Running my Life

 

You go to Seoul AAA. That stands for Seoul Academy of Athletics and Arts. The school was founded in 1968 by an old and wealthy man named Lee Soo Man. He was a fan of the arts but his parents insisted on him pursuing a career in the Olympics to focus more on his athletic abilities.  He tried both fields in his lifetime and grew fond of them but faced the dilemma of having to focus on one. Fortunately, he died doing what he loved because he created an arts and athletic school- the SAAA. The school was divided into arts and athletics, taking in the most skilled and talented students of their respective fields. The athletics department, further subdivided into aquatics and regular field sports, trained students to the best of their capabilities. Their black uniform and insignia distinguished them from the other department-arts. Further divided into drama, singing, dancing, the department allowed students to freely participate in their strongest field of interest, and in some cases, all three.  Singing, acting and dancing, the key to the entertainment industry, and made SAA a major scouting site for big companies looking for new artists. Equipped with their red vibrant uniforms, the students tended to be quite proud of their department, often becoming the new face of the korean pop culture.
 
The students in both departments learned to grow fond of each other's abilities and accepted one another. But, years after Lee Soo Man's death, the Arts students started realizing that their counterpart were becoming more popular and known in the nation as more students were applying there. This caused a natural rivalry between the two, and what started off as a friendly competition ended in a bitter rivalry.  Ever since, the students gained a natural disliking for one another causing both departments to work harder and showcase their talents more often in hopes of outshining each other. This made the school and both departments much more harder to get into. Only the best of the best got in. For some it was luck, for others it was a blessing.
 
 
As for you, it was always your dream to be on the field. Ever since you were a kid you were running. Chen took notice in your ability and signed you up for a scholarship at Seoul Tripple A. Since you came from a poor middle school, you doubted you would get in. It was two months ago when you got the call. The school had accepted you and given you a full scholarship to the athletics department. Chen had sent in an application, reccomendation letters and a few tapes of you running to the school. You were gratefull. Enough said. You were placed in track and every afternoon, you and a bunch of other students would change out of your black uniforms and got on the field. You knew a few people, one of which was Yu Ri. She was placed in badminton and would hit the field as well.
 
Now, with the bitter hatred running through the departments, you knew you weren't going to last very long with the number of red student standing in front of you, scrutinizing your every movement. You couldn't help but think of how silly you probably looked right now to them, and could feel their judging glares at you, quickly recovering from the shock of seeing you in their department. You in a breath and tried not to look intimidated by the dozens of pairs of eyes on you. 
"This is not good" you whispered under your breath "God if you love me, save me now".
 
 
You could feel yourself tremble slightly as you stood glued to your spot. What the heck- Move!! You scolded yourself. But your body would not respond and continued to stare at the students ahead. It looked like they were having some sort of small assembly in the large room.  You heard someone clear their throat awkwardly and it was only then that you snapped your head up in the direction of the sound. It was a lady standing at the front of the room on some sort of stage, who seemed like she was in her early twenties judging by her face, which now held a frown on it.  Her glasses were situated at the top of her head, and wore a formal suit giving off a strict and authoritative aura. 
 
 "Ma'am" she started seeing as you were not making any sign of leaving, "Why don't you come on over to the front here. It seems as if you’re comfortable with barging in on a very important assembly," she stated matter-of-factly. You managed to nod slightly but your feet were totally against this whole situation and stayed put. You saw a student turn their head and whisper something to the student sitting on his left but you didn't dare do anything about it. "We are waiting," the lady spoke again this time. You forced yourself to move. It was more of shuffling because at the rate you were walking, you would get there by the end of the year. As you walked, you realized the room was dead silent. But you kept walking. I swear, if a piece of hair dropped on the floor i would hear it. I am so dead. I am so dead. I am so- "May I have your name dear," you looked up. You surprisingly managed to get to the stage and positioned yourself in front of the large hall. The lady was on a stage with two other students who stood at the podium. They had a mic on which meant you interrupted some sort of speech. Perfect. You stood near the bottom of the stage but not on it. Thank god.  If you had walked on the stage every student would see your face and that is not what you needed right now. 
"Uh.. Umm.. Hana...?" You said slowly. 
"Are you sure?" the lady replied. The whole gym erupted. Loud laughs and the sound of hands clapping filled the room. Did she not realize you couldn't speak properly because she had placed you in such an awkward and terrifying position??Of course you couldn't say your name properly. You were nervous ofcourse! You watched in anger as the woman held in a smirk eyeing your black uniform before holding up her hands in the air for silence . She put up one finger and in about 3 seconds, the room was silent again. 
 "Hana, what brings you here" She asked staring evidently at your black uniform standing out from the sea of red. Clearly you were not welcome here. 
 
"Uh, I wasn't looking where i was going. A-and i ended up h-here. I am sorry" You said, your voice shaking. She let out the most cold, iciest, dead laugh you had ever heard. Was she trained to be such a...witch?!? 
"If that is all, then you may leave dear," she said slowly as if you were the stupidest person on earth. You furrowed your brows and stood there. You didn't like how this woman was treating you AT ALL.
 
"I didn't mean to walk in here okay. It was an accident," you said out loud. She didn't reply so you turned sharply on your heels and headed for door. You could feel the glares as you casually made your way across the room.  Just as you reached the door you turned back and looked at the students, "Oh and by the way, my name is Hana, Kim Hana. And I am sure," you finished off and opened the door. You walked out not knowing where this confidence had come from and wished your stupid brain had acted like that before. 
 "Oh shoot!" You cried suddenly, even scaring yourself. "I should've asked for the exit on my way out!" You sighed and faced palmed yourself mentally. Aren't I so smart?
 
 
 
 
"Please don't be late, please don't be late!" You chanted to yourself frantically as you sprinted to your first period class. You had that math test you dreaded and after spending 20 minutes trying to find your way back to the athletics department, you were beyond late. How, after spending over a month in the school did you make such a silly mistake? At this point you would be happy if you were able to at least write the first page of the test. You sighed in frustration thinking of Mr. Lee's upset face at your late arrival. You dreaded the possibility of him calling home as he had threatened so many times in the past, which would mean worrying your poor brother Chen. 
 
You threw the door open and your heart immediately dropped. The class was well into writing their test and looked up to the source of the startling noise. Seeing you out of breath from the rush to your class, your classmates slowly turned back to their test papers, some giving you questioning and confused glances. You avoided eye contact with your teacher and tried to slip into your seat quietly, which was impossible after all the ruckus you had created. 
 
.  "Ms. Kim, I will see you after school in room 256 in the arts department for your detention. As you may have heard our detention room is under some construction," you heard Mr. Lee say briskly from his seat not looking up from his book. You cringed at the thought of having to go back to the arts department and gave a small nod to your teacher before slipping into your seat. You could feel your cheeks burning in embarrassment from his announcement and shook your head trying to clear your thoughts.  I can not fail math again, you thought to yourself, I can do this! You quickly glanced at the clock and groaned. Who am I kidding, I'm done for. You sighed and rested your head on your desk in defeat. 
 
 
How could this have happened? You were sure that you hadn't been in the arts department for that long. You turned down the corridor and walked past a bunch of students who were busy at their lockers. You decided you would go to your locker as well. Why didn't I just walk out of that room immediately? You thought. Why did I take so long finding an exit? You finally reached your locker and fumbled with the combination but it wouldn't open. "Stupid locker," you mumbled. Just as you were about to kick that thing open you felt a hard tap on your shoulder. You turned around.
 
 "Oh, hey," you greeted your good friend So Yun.
 
"Hey, uh..what's up?" she asked clearly confused. You turned around and put in your combination one last time. Your locker finally opened and you placed your books into it.
 
 "How late was I first period?" You asked still shoving your books in your tiny locker.
 
"Um you missed half the class! What happened? You were so out of breath I thought you probably slept in" She said laughing and you gave a light chuckle. You still had your back to her. 
 
 "Actually," you said placing your last book in your locker and closing it shut. "I didn't. Being the idiot I am, I got lost on the way here this morning- don't even ask me how- and found myself in the arts department after rudely interrupting an assembly. Long story short, I made a fool of myself, came late to class, failed the test, and have detention. " You said facing her. She shook her head, agape and walked ahead of you towards the cafeteria. After a moment she burst out into fits of laughter, causing other students in the hall to stare. 
 
"Oh shutup, it's not that funny," you said as you entered the cafeteria.
 
 "Oh my God Hana you are SUCH  an idiot" she said laughing while dragging you to the table that Yu Ri was sitting at. You sent the back of her head a mean glare and quickly sat down at your usual spot when you noticed someone else was sitting next to Yu Ri.
 
 "Oh, before you guys get comfy," Yu Ri started, not bothering to greet you two.  "You guys have to remember to help me with the BBQ I’m planning next week. This is one of my good friends who's going to help us as well! I am so excited! It's going to be perfect!" She said gesturing to the girl beside her, who gave you a small smile and a wave. 
 
 So Yun scoffed at Yu Ri's words "What makes you say that we will help you?" 
 
Yu Ri crossed her arms over her chest "You guys promised remember?" So Yun gave Yu Ri a glare before shaking her head at the girl. Yu Ri smiled at this and glanced at you from across the table. 
 
 "How about you Hana," she asked.
 
You nodded and smiled "I wouldn't miss it,"
 
Yu Ri clapped her hands "Thanks guys!"
 
So Yun grunted, "We had no choice," she murmured. You laughed at her complaint. Someone nudged your arm and you turned to see a worried look on Yu Ri's face  
 
"Dude, where were you this morning?" She asked.
 
You rolled your eyes "Something came up," you said deciding to lie because it would take too long to explain, and you didn't want to have to deal with her jokes at your stupidity. You noticed So Yun and Yu Ri's friend had left to get you guys some lunch. Yu Ri was suddenly shifting in her seat awkwardly and her hands automatically came up to her hair asshe was looking right past you. 
You scoffed "Did Baekhyun enter?" You asked teasingly but she just shook her head and smiled. 
 "No, better." You furrowed your brows and looked behind you. Your mouth quickly formed into an "o" shape. The arts department and the athletics department shared the same cafeteria but on two opposite sides. No one dared speak to the other. After lunch, everyone would go back to their regular department. You and your friends sat together and Lay and his friends sat together with a bunch of fan girls on their tails but this time, Lay was walking somewhere else.
He quickly walked into the room and cringed visibly when he heard a few girls squeal. You didn't blame them.  Lay was undeniably good looking. But the fact that he was walking to your table was what you were shocked about. He hurriedly walked over and quickly sat down a little too close to you.
 
"My ear hurts" he complained. You laughed at his cute reaction to his fan girls. Yu Ri on the other hand was staring at him in a daze with her chin resting on her palms, her eyes glued to Lay. She had always envied the fact that you and Lay were good friends. It was A bit funny actually. 
 
Lay looked away from you and glanced at Yu Ri awkwardly. He knew she liked him and he was okay with it at first but when she got...over obsessive he did admit he was a little freaked out. 
 
"Hi Yu Ri, whats up?" He asked her casually.
 
She giggled and replied "Yes, it is warm out isn't it." You bit your lip and held back a laugh and you could see Lay was doing the same.
 
"Anyways," you said holding back your laughter, "What brings you here Lay, don't you usually sit with," you paused and looked over your shoulder to the table where Kyungsoo, Baekhyun,  Kai and Chanyeol were sitting with about 100 girls  screaming their lungs off, "them," you finished off. Lay noticed your unaffectionate tone when referring to his friends and smiled.
 
 "They are not that bad Hana. Plus I wanted to say hi to you," you looked at him wiggling his eyebrows at you and let out a laugh. 
 
 "Thanks." you replied. He smiled, flashing his dimple and you quickly looked over at So Yun and Yu Ri's friend who had returned with the food. Not wanting to create an awkward situation, you said. "So Yun, can we leave and go out to the garden, it's too noisy here," She looked at you and nodded, standing up.
 
 "Yeah, I was just about to say the same thing." You got up and Lay tailed behind you as you walked to the doors of the caf eteria with Yu Ri, So Yun and Yu Ri's friend not far behind.
 
"Yo, Lay where are you going? You didn't sit with us and now you're just leaving?" you heard a deep voice behind you and turned around to see Chanyeol grabbing Lay's arm.
 
"Yeah!" Baekhyun chimed.
 
 "Sit, you're not going anywhere," Chanyeol said dragging Lay in between him and Kai who was too busy being crushed by some girls.
 
"I love how he completely ignores our presence," So Yun whispered indicating more of a reason to hate Chanyeol. Yu Ri nodded.
 
"Guys," Yu Ri said in a small voice "Is Lay coming?" She asked. You shook your head and turned to walk out the caf.
 
"I doubt it," you said. You reached the caf door with Yu Ri and So Yun.
 
"Hana," you heard a soft voice call out. You turned and saw Lay calling you over. "Stay here" you ordered your friends. They nodded as you headed back to the table "Yeah Lay," you said sweetly faking a smile. He caught on and quickly shut up. He knew you wanted nothing to do with his friends or the arts department. There was a long silence and Kyungsoo was the first to speak. 
 "Are you a friend of Lay's?" You nodded. Chanyeol smiled. 
 
 "Any friend of his is a friend of ours." he said cheerfully. Again, you faked a smile and through gritted teeth replied. 
 
 "That's great!" you managed to pinch Lay's side in the process earning a yelp from him. They all looked at him confused but Lay smiled and shook it off. You glanced at Kai and noticed that after successfully shoving off a bunch of girls, Kai was finally able to stand up.
 
"I'm leaving, I gotta go meet up with some friends in the dance hall," he stated. He got up and nudged Chanyeol.  "Don't creep her out too much Channie" and with a quick wink, he grabbed his bag and left. You were shocked that he would do such a thing, but then remembered the flirtatious character you had heard about him from some girls in your english class. You didn't know why you were standing there and you felt a little more insecure. That was when you decided to leave.
 
"Uh, I have to go, my friends are waiting for me over there," you said quickly to Lay, giving him an apologetic smile. 
 
"What friends?" Baekhyun asked. Right then you wanted to punch him in the face, but held in your emotions from his snarky comment. 
 
"They're right the-" you turned around but saw no one. They had left you. On purpose. You always knew So Yun teased you about Lay, saying he liked you, but you never believed her. And now, she decided to test her little theory, by giving you guys as many 'moments' as she could. This meant leaving you two alone whenever she had the chance, but now was the wrong moment. Lay laughed and patted the seat next to him. You shot him a look as you backed up a little bit. Already you noticed some students looking at you funnily. 
 
"Um, no.. I forgot i have this really important meeting like...right now," you lied. 
 
Chanyeol smiled, "Sure, what did you say your name was again?" he asked. 
 
"I didn't," you said with as much attitude as you could pull off.
 
"Oh...well whats your name?" he asked good naturedly. 
 
"Hana." Baekhyun nodded his head "I'll remember that," he said firmly.
 
"Um, okay?" you said backing up a little farther.
 
"We'll see you around Hana," Kyungsoo said. 
 
"Yeah, for sure," you replied giving a small smile, then turning your back on them. You hurried out the cafeteria, and leaned against the wall, letting deep breath. 
 
"Okay, so now I need to make sure I avoid them for the rest of the school year," you said aloud. "Now where do I find those girls I call friends?" you said walking down a hall. You turned a few corners and soon your legs began to tire. This was going to take you all day! The school was huge. After a few tries calling their cells, you realized they would never pick up as it seemed they had turned off their phones.You decided to start looking on the fourth floor and make your way down from there. Won't this be fun? you thought sarcastically as you climbed up the first set of stairs. When I get my hands on those girls, watch, they are so dead.