The Farmhouse

I'll Still Love You Even If You're... Rich? [Hiatus]

 

A smell of smoke exploded out as Aaron opened the door. The taxi driver was a middle-aged French Canadian.

 

“East,” Aaron said.

 

The driver shook his head. “Zere eez no feast in ze citee.”

 

He couldn't understand Aaron's incoherent English, and Aaron couldn't decipher any English from his accent. Aaron pointed in the general direction of what he thought was west. Westward, the arrow pointed to a sign with a tower, so Aaron chose the alternative.

 

15 minutes later, the taxi stopped at a gas station. The taxi driver got out to refill his tank. He tug a smoke while at it.

 

The driver kept driving forward. Outside the window, the pavement gradually turned to a dirt road. Aaron thought this was how neighbourhoods were paved, and he urged the driver to keep going.

 

The driver would turn around occasionally to ask if Aaron wanted to stop. Aaron still had no sight of houses. Finally, Aaron spotted a cow, and a little way away from it, was a run-down house. The view was beautiful. The house was right beside a lake.

 

“450 dollaaas.” the taxi driver blurted out when Aaron tapped his shoulder. This, Aaron understood. Aaron pulled out his money, and gave him all of it. The driver accepted it, smirked, and gave Aaron a coin back. Aaron nodded. “Thank you.”

 

Aaron jumped out of the taxi and into the fresh air. Aaron really wanted to get closer to the water. It was chilly, and Aaron wished he brought a scarf. He had his mom's in his suitcase... Aaron turned around, and around, waved his hands. He didn't bring it out. The taxi driver already disappeared.

 

Aaron cursed and started running toward the sun. Aaron stopped after a few seconds. He wouldn't catch up. Aaron thought back to what he had carried in his luggage. He had his shirts, his pants, boxers, and his mom's picture. He also had her scarf and necklace. That driver's smile didn't appear because of kindness.

 

Aaron cried out loud. He let out his anger on a nearby hay stack. He watched as the hay flew up in the air and drifted down. Aaron couldn't help but feel calmed after this sight. Aaron took in a deep breath. He still had a job to do.

 

Aaron retreated toward the house. The sun was setting and the reflection on the water was beautiful. Aaron had never seen a sunset back in the mansion, and he had never seen it from the water's reflection.

 

Aaron banged on the door of the house. There was barking, and a few seconds later, the door swung open.

 

Wearing boxers and no shirt, was a boy about his age. Aaron breathed a sigh of relief. He was Asian. Aaron had enough of French accents.

 

“Shei(who)?” A lady asked from behind. She was holding a spatula. She looked Aaron up and down, “No! We don't want to sell our house! Get away!”

 

Aaron was pushed outside in a matter of seconds. The lady had strong arms. “No! I'm Aaron ... Aaron Yan.” Aaron figured Yan was a popular last name, and didn't want to change it.

 

“So what? I don't care who you are, I'm not selling this house!” The lady raised her spatula in a striking position.

 

“No! I'm from China, and I came here, but my taxi driver got my luggage. Can I pay you for dinner?” Aaron asked. He dropped the coin in her other hand.

 

“This is two dollars, you know that's not a lot. And we're not a hotel.”

 

“What!?” Aaron was shocked, “Two dollars only? I thought it was fifty! The taxi driver gave me it after I gave him 500 dollars...” Aaron punched the wall. The lady jumped, “He gave me wrong change!”

 

“Um, okay, we'll accept you, since you are Asian. Those whites think they know everything, now they're down to tricking young boys? They are NEVER getting our house.”

 

The boy at the door was still holding the door open. He cleared his throat. The lady turned back toward the house. Aaron looked closely at the boy. He had brownish hair, and he was muscular. He was pretty tall, too. Well, taller than Aaron. The boy caught Aaron staring.

 

“Hey, we don't get much visitors here, why are you here?”

 

“Taxi.”

 

“You know us? Is that why you came?”

 

“Uh, no. I'm Aaron.”

 

“Okay, I'm Jiro. Jiro Wang. Yan, huh? Are you by any chance relatives with the Yan company's head?”

 

Aaron panicked. He shook his head a few times too quick.

 

Jiro laughed, “Just kidding. I just hate that guy, you know? Thinks he's so good because he's rich. And that wonderful husband title, it's stupid, and he looks like a horrible dad.”

 

Aaron had to agree to that. Aaron entered the house, and was greeted by the smell of tofu. And fish.

 

Aaron was signalled to sit down by the lady with the spatula. He figured she was Jiro's mom. Aaron sat down, remembering that he had skipped lunch.

 

“So, why are you here in Canada?” she asked.

 

“Dad kicked me out.”

 

“What an irresponsible father! He must have several wifes and your mother just died!”

 

Aaron jumped. How did she know? Did this family read minds?

 

The lady saw Aaron jump. She added, “ I'm just guessing, but you can tell me all about it later. I feel sorry for you, since my dad kicked me out too. Do you have anywhere to stay?”

 

Aaron shook his head. He still had to find a high school, too, “No, I don't have anything now.”

 

Jiro gasped, “So that means that taxi driver took EVERYTHING?”

 

“Uh, yeah.” Aaron sighed. He didn't have his mom's picture, neither. The only thing he could remember was what she said; she loved him.

 

“Well, you can be my roommate, and I'll lend you stuff. Wanna go to my school, too? Then we can be best buds!” The lady had a look of disapproval on her face, but Jiro was excited, “And, you can work at the same place as me, too. We don't get a lot of people around here. I bet you'd fit in.”

 

“Uh, all of that is good, but you have to pitch in the household. We need another man in the household. This big kid is not doing his chores.” Jiro's mom added.

 

“Do so!” Jiro whined.

 

“Uh, thanks very much.. Jiro and Auntie.”