Arrival

I'll Still Love You Even If You're... Rich? [Hiatus]

 

The plane landed a few minutes later. Aaron unbuckled his seatbelt with a click and reached for his sweater that hung on the back of his seat. By the time he looked back to reply to Selina's question, she was gone.

 

Aaron sighed as he stood up to head toward the exit. An old lady was in front of him, staggering every few steps. She fell backward, and Aaron saw a flurry of white before weight landed on him. A stab of pain hammered Aaron's head. Aaron was never one of quick reflexes, and that resulted in cushioning the old lady's fall.

 

Aaron raised his head for a moment. It was throbbing. Aaron saw a pair of boots beside his face, he raised his head more, and there was Selina.

 

“Wow, you look strong yet you couldn't catch her?”

 

“How did you know?”

 

“I had to get my purse.”

 

“Wei, ni men bang bang ge lao po po shang lai! Na me mei li mao! (Hey, help the old lady up! So rude!)” Aaron heard a hoarse voice yell.

 

Selina jumped and quickly helped the lady up. Aaron watched as she helped her out the door. He felt a tap on the head. Oh yeah, I'm still lying on the floor. Aaron propped his elbows behind him and supported himself up. He paused. Who tapped me, then? Aaron turn slowly and saw the little girl from before. Selina left her behind.

 

Aaron thought over of what to do. Should he bring her out? Or leave her there and find her sister? Aaron decided the first option was best.

 

“Lai le (come),” he said in Chinese, then he carried her out of the plane. Aaron was one of the last to leave. He looked for his luggage, while still holding onto the little girl. The little girl had her arms knotted tightly around his neck in a strong grasp. She smelled of lemons.

 

Aaron tried to spot his luggage. His luggage wasn't there. But then Aaron spot a white luggage. He hauled it out with one hand and placed it on the floor. He checked his suitcase for his phone. He wanted to call a taxi. Aaron scavenged through his suitcase. There wasn't a sight of his LG neon. There was a tug on Aaron's shirt and he realized he was still holding onto the little girl.

 

“Uhh, oh no, ni de jie zai na!?(Where is your sister!?)” Aaron didn't expect the little girl to actually answer.

 

“Zai da men a. (At the big door.)”

 

Aaron didn't understand her. Where was the big door? He turned around and headed for the main entrance. He turned himself sideways to wedge through the crowd. In there was like walking between poles, the people just stood there like idiots, in the way of all the moving people. There, in her blue coat and jeans, was Selina. Selina was frantically pacing back and forth. She spotted Aaron holding the little girl.

 

“Ni zai zhe li, Ceci!(You're here!)” Selina yelled, “I thought you were kidnapped!”

 

“Ta. (He.)” was all the little girl said.

 

Selina turned to Aaron with a bright smile on her face, “Oh, thanks. I left her on the plane to help the old lady. Thank you so much.” Selina saluted and headed toward the exit, clutching her sister's hand tightly.

 

Aaron just nodded and walking away. He headed to the direction of the ATM. In Aaron's pocket, he still had the 23.50 yuan that he brought from home. He needed taxi money. Aaron inserted the yuan into the machine and clicked exchange. Out of the slot came two coins.

 

“Wah!” he exclaimed. That money only added up to.. Aaron looked up at the screen where the receipt was. Three dollars in Canadian dollars? Aaron had to find another way. Aaron remembered that he had money somewhere, and forgot where. He thought, and remembered. He remembered why he was even here in Canada.

 

He pulled out the card that was still in his luggage. In the account he had 500 Canadian dollars, luckily, not yuan. Aaron noticed that five hundred would not be a lot in yuan. He withdrew all the money and headed for the west exit. Apparently west from the airport was a residential area, according to the signs.

 

Aaron signalled for a taxi, and headed for the nearest neighbourhood.