Epilogue

Sehun & Kai

 

Epilogue

 

 

In September, Kris, Sehun and Kai were outside playing soccer when a fancy black car came creeping up their driveway.

“Is it Ms. Huntington?” Sehun asked.

“No, I don’t think so,” Kris answered as Kai hid behind him. He was still wary of fancy cars and people in suits, and Kris scooped him up in his arms so he wouldn’t run away. Kai immediately hid his face in Kris’ neck.

A man Kris had never seen before got out of the car. “Are you Kris Wu?” He called.

“Yes,” Kris called back, trying not to choke as Kai threatened to strangle him. “And you are?”

The man walked up the driveway. “I’m David Patterson, Attorney at Law. I’m representing a case you filed in response to your parent’s accident.”

Kris unconsciously tightened his grip on Kai. “I thought we had a different lawyer,” he said slowly.

Mister Patterson had made his way up the driveway by that point. “You did, but as it turns out you weren’t the only one who filed suit. I was representing a larger clientele, and your lawyer and I handled the case together.” He reached into his suit and pulled out an envelope. “I asked if I could have the honor of personally delivering you your cut of the settlement.”

Kris held out his hand, too stunned to full comprehend what was happening. “I…what?”

Mister Patterson laughed. “That amount is all yours, your lawyer and I have already been paid. The money can be collected at any time and used however you want, no strings attached.” Then he grinned at Kai and Sehun. “I’m sure you can think of a few good ways to use it. Here’s my card if you have any questions.” And then he walked back down the driveway.

Sehun watched the car drive away, and once it was gone and Kris was still frozen, he tugged on the hem of his brother’s shirt. “What’s going on?” He demanded. “He gave you money? How much?”

Kris calmly put Kai back down on the ground. His hands were shaking as he opened the envelope, and when he finally got it open his jaw dropped and he stared at it for a long time.

“Kris!” Sehun yelled. “What’s happening?!”

Kris tore his eyes away from the piece of paper and cleared his throat. “Come inside,” he said weakly. “We have to tell grandma.”

The three of them raced into the house, Kris leading the way. Grandma was sitting in the living room, and she had a big smile on her face.

“I saw the car,” she said. “Was it the lawyer?”

Kris nodded and held up the envelope. “Grandma…it’s five hundred thousand dollars.”

Grandma closed her eyes and clasped her hand. “Praise to the spirits,” she whispered, a tear slipping down her face.

Kris was crying too. “I can’t…I wish…”

“I know,” Grandma said gently. She got to her feet and hugged Kris tightly. “Oh darling I know,” she soothed as he struggled to keep it together. “But it’s okay to be happy,” She said, patting Kris’ back. “They would want you to be happy.”

Sehun stomped his foot, getting their attention. “What are you two talking about?” He demanded.

Kris quickly wiped his eyes and knelt down, taking Sehun’s hands in his. “Sehun, when mom and dad died…it was because the car company did something wrong,” he explained. “And they gave us money for it. A lot of money.”

Sehun’s eyes widened. “Are we rich? Are you going to quit your job? Are we going to move?!” Even Kai looked excited, and he understood even less than Sehun did.

Kris held up his hands. “We’re not rich,”

“The hell you aren’t!” Grandma laughed.

“I’m probably going to quit only one of my jobs,” Kris continued, “And I don’t think we’ll move, but we’ll do a lot of home improvement. And I’ll tell you what else is going to happen,” He said excitedly. “I’m going to go to college, and we’re going to get Kai to speech therapy, and some day you’ll both go to college also, anywhere you want. You can go to New York City, you can go to Korea, you can go anywhere.”

“Can we get a new car?” Sehun asked.

“The car we have is fine,” Kris said. “But how about instead I get that x-box we both wanted?”

Sehun positively squealed. “And a Nintendo?”

Kris ruffled his hair. “I’ll see what I can do.”

 

In the end, their lives didn’t change that much. Kris had some work done on the house, repainted a few rooms and redid the kitchen and bathrooms, added a few new things like the x-box and a family computer. He also paid off something called a mortgage and got a bed for Kai, but that was about it. He said he was saving most of the money for college and for something even more important, something for Grandma. Sehun wouldn’t understand until much later what that meant, nor would he understand the full story of how they came by the money. Sehun didn’t mind not knowing, he knew Kris and Grandma were happy and that made him and Kai happy.

Kris did quit one of his jobs and he went to school, but even then he seemed less busy. He took Kai and Sehun out for ice cream and movies every Friday, and sometimes Chanyeol would join them. Kai loved Chanyeol, he was always climbing all over him and begging to be carried on his shoulders, which Chanyeol could never say no to. Kris for being a pushover, and Chanyeol never argued against it.

One night Sehun came downstairs after his bedtime for a glass of water, and he found Chanyeol and Kris sitting on the sofa. They were talking quietly, and as Sehun was trying to figure out how to sneak by them, they starting kissing. Sehun gasped loudly and the two of them jumped apart.

“Sehun!” Kris yelped. “What are you doing?”

Sehun jumped up and down and clapped. “You kissed!” He shouted. “I knew it, you are in love!”

Kris coughed and stood up. “Sehun, get back to bed for crying out loud and stop snooping!”

“It’s not snooping when you’re swapping spit in the middle of the living room!” Sehun countered. “Are you two dating now? Are you getting married?!”

Chanyeol burst out laughing and Kris blushed and ran at Sehun. Sehun squeaked and raced back upstairs, Kris hot on his heels. Kris caught him in no time and swept him up, heaving Sehun over his shoulder.

“Little brat,” he muttered. “You can’t just ask people that!” He carted Sehun back to his room and dropped him on his bed. Kai was awake and sitting up on his own bed, giggling like mad. Clearly he had heard everything.

“Go to sleep, both of you,” Kris said crossly.

“I’m thirsty,” Sehun whined. “I couldn’t get my water because you and Chanyeol were busy getting it on.”

“We were not—WHAT THE HELL,” Kris yelled as Sehun and Kai burst out laughing. “How do you know these words?”

“School,” Sehun said brightly.

Kris glowered. “Stay here, I’ll get you your water.” He stalked out of the room and came back in a few minutes with two glasses, handing Kai the second one. Clearly he was taking no chances on anymore interruptions.

“Hey, Kris,” Sehun said seriously, “If you don’t marry Chanyeol I’ll kick you in the face.”

Kris sighed tiredly. “Duly noted. Now will you please go to sleep?”

Sehun held out his arms. “Hug first!”

“Me too!” Kai shouted, and he ran across the room into Sehun’s bed.

Kris wrapped his arms around the pair of them and hugged them tightly enough to lift them off the bed. “Anything else?” He growled playfully as he set them back down.

“Yeah,” Sehun said happily. “I’m really happy for you. Chanyeol really likes you.”

Kris grinned and sighed happily. “I know, I really like him too.”

“Do you love each other?” Kai asked.

Kris bit his lip. “I think so,” he said after a moment.

“So get married!” Sehun cried.

Kris playfully shoved Sehun down on the bed. “What do you know about marriage? I’m only twenty one, I’m not old enough to get married!”

Sehun pouted. “Will you think about it?”

Kris laughed. “Yes, I’ll think about it. Now goodnight,” he said firmly. “You have school tomorrow.”

As he left, Sehun called after him, “You two look cute together!”

When the door shut, Kai crawled under Sehun’s blankets and yawned. “I’m sleeping here,” he decided.

Sehun curled up next to him, one arm across Kai’s waist. “Okay, I don’t mind.”

After a minute, Kai lifted his head. “If they get married, what will that make Chanyeol?”

“To us?” Sehun asked, and Kai nodded. Sehun grinned and pulled Kai back down. “It’ll make him ohana, just like you.”

Kai sighed happily and snuggled closer, but he sat up once more after a minute. “I don’t have to marry Kris to be ohana, do I?” He asked.

Sehun snorted and pulled him back down again. “You’re already ohana, now go to sleep.”

 

 

 

 

I feel as though I must explain a little bit--Sehun and Kris' parents died in a car accident during a storm, and basically it was because the brakes were faulty. So Kris filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the car company, and at the beginning of the story (I forget where) when Sehun was talking about how they were supposed to get some money after their parents died, this was it. At the time Kris didn't explain everything to him because he was so young. So that's then end! I hope you all enjoyed reading!

Oh and that important thing Kris was going to do for their grandma? He was talking about her funeral. Sad but it was one of the things he was super worried about, funerals can get pretty expensive.

So that's then end! I hope you all enjoyed reading and I hope you check out my other fics if you haven't already done so. See you around!