Chapter 5

Sehun & Kai

 

I hate this part :| It made me cry.

 

Chapter 5

 

Three weeks after finding Kai in the woods, Sehun came downstairs for breakfast to find a box waiting for him on the table. It had to have been from Kris, but had been working extra hours so Sehun hadn’t seen him in a while. He tore the box open and squealed when he saw what was inside.

“A baseball bat!”

There was a piece of paper in the box, and Sehun picked it up.

Found it in the garage. I think dad got it for you for your birthday.

Sehun’s eyes started to water and he held the bat reverently. Before his dad died in the accident, Sehun had told him he wanted a baseball bat.

After a moment, Sehun heard a floor board creak and he turned to see Kai staring at him, rubbing an eye blearily. Sehun grinned at him.

“Come on Kai, let’s play ball.”

It was ninety five degrees with humidity in Hawaii, totally not the weather to be playing outside in, but Sehun didn’t care and neither did Kai.

“No,” Sehun laughed as Kai chased the ball and stared at it, pointing. “You’re supposed to throw it, silly!”

Kai picked the ball up and threw it straight up. Sehun laughed and Kai laughed with him, clapping and jumping up and down. It was the first time Sehun had ever heard him laugh, and he was absolutely delighted to hear it.

They walked home sweaty and tired, but smiling and giggling. They were just leaving the baseball field when Sehun saw Jamie, Devin, Jonah and Marcus walking by. He smiled widely.

“Hey guys,” he called, “Want to play a game?”

They looked at him and rolled their eyes. “Sehun you’re such a child,” Jamie sighed. “We don’t play baseball anymore, we play video games.”

“He can’t afford video games,” Marcus sneered. “He can barely afford pants that fit.”

Sehun swallowed and looked at his feet. His ankles were showing.

“Who’s your friend?” Jamie asked. “You look cozy, holding hands and all that.”

Sehun immediately dropped Kai’s hand, blushing and staring at the ground. Kai gave him a startled look and tried to grab for his hand again, but Sehun hid it in his pocket. Kai got even more distressed, pawing at Sehun’s arm and tugging on it. Sehun winced as Kai clawed at his arm.

“Stop it,” he whispered, ignoring the look of hurt on Kai’s face. Kai looked like he wanted to cry.

“What’s his problem?” Devin asked. “Is he stupid or something?”

Sehun snapped his head up. “No,” he said defensively. “He’s really smart. Don’t you make fun of him.” But he was nervous, and he lisped his words.

Jamie started to laugh. “Thehun found a puppy to pway with,” He jeered. Then he tipped his head back and howled.

Sehun clutched his bat in his hands and advanced. “You take that back,” he snarled.

Jamie stopped. “Oh you think you’re so tough?” He asked. “Think you can take me on? Did your prissy brother teach you to throw a punch?”

Sehun launched himself at Jamie, dropping the bat in favor of using his fists. He got one good punch in before Marcus and Jonah were on him, pulling him back and holding his arms.

Jamie was holding his jaw, but he was smiling. “Shouldn’t have done that,” he gasped. “Now you owe me.” He looked to the side and picked up Sehun’s bat. “This looks nice, maybe I’ll take it.”

Sehun froze, going cold with fear. “You can’t have that,” he gasped.

“You punched me,” Jamie pointed out.

“I’ll give you anything else,” Sehun promised, “But you can’t have that.”

Jamie smirked. “Why not?”

“My dad bought it for me,” Sehun whimpered, starting to cry. “Jamie, please, give it back!”

Jamie turned the bat over in his hands. “Maybe I’ll just play with it until I get bored.”

“No!” Sehun shrieked. “Give it back, Jamie! Give it—”

Out of the corner of his eye, Sehun saw a shadow running at Jamie. Kai slammed into him and knocked him to the ground, holding him by the collar. He had a large branch in his hand, and he drew it back.

Jamie quickly dropped the bat and pushed Kai off of him. Kai stood up, still holding the branch like he was getting ready to swing it at Jamie’s head. Jonah and Marcus dropped Sehun and advanced on Kai, Devin following them, and Kai turned and swung the branch at them. He missed, but they all screamed anyway. Kai smirked at them.

“He’s crazy,” Jamie stuttered, picking himself up. “Let’s get out of here.”

They all scattered. Sehun picked his bat up off the ground and hugged it to his chest and finally allowed himself to cry for real, big tears dripping down his face. He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up to see Kai giving him a concerned look.

Sehun wrapped an arm around Kai’s shoulders and hugged him tightly. “I’m sorry I let go of your hand,” he sobbed. “I’ll never do it again, I promise.”

Kai hugged him back and his hair. Sehun sobbed into his shoulder. “Thank you, Kai. You were so brave to do that.”

Kai pulled back and smiled widely, holding out his hand. Sehun hiccupped and giggled.

“I don’t have any cookies.” Kai looked very put out, so Sehun quickly added, “Let’s go home and get some.”

Kai immediately brightened and they set off holding hands. When they got home a woman in fancy-looking clothes was just coming out of the house. She smiled at the pair of them before walking down the stairs.

“Who was she?” Sehun asked his grandma when they got inside.

“Woman from social services,” Grandma said with a grin. “She said that the paper work might be slow, but it looks like we’ll get to adopt Kai.”

Sehun screamed in glee and hugged Kai so hard he lifted him off the ground. “Kai, you’re really going to get to stay with us!!”

 

Kris called that night to say that Sehun could bring Kai down to the restaurant for dinner. It was a weeknight, so Sehun was excited to show Kai Chanyeol’s show.

“It’s really cool,” He promised as they sat down. “You’ll love it!”

Sehun fidgeted all through dinner, waiting for the show. When Chanyeol finally came out on stage, he clapped harder than anyone else in the restaurant. He kept his eyes on Kai’s face, wanting to see his reaction. He knew exactly how the show went anyway, having seen it a hundred times. That was how he knew that Kai’s eyes went wide with fear the second Chanyeol lit the torches on fire.

“Kai?” Sehun called, alarmed at his expression. “What’s wrong?”

Kai leapt up from the table and ran.

“Kai!” Sehun yelled, running after him. “Come back here, wait!”

Kai ran outside and tripped on the lip were the door of the restaurant met the sidewalk, landing hard. Sehun gasped and skidded to halt next to him. “Kai, are you alright?!”

Kai was curled up on the floor, hands over his face and shoulders shaking. Sehun pulled him upright and gently touched the backs of his hands.

“Does it hurt?” He asked. “Let me see…”

Kai lowered his hands. He was crying, eyes still wide with fear. Sehun couldn’t tell if he was shaking from nerves or silent sobs.

“What happened?” Sehun asked. “Why did you…” he froze, remembering what had happened. “Was it the fire?”

Sehun felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up. Kris was kneeling behind him.

“Are you two alright?”

Sehun shook his head. “Kai is scared, I think the fire freaked him out.”

Kris looked surprised. “Oh? I thought maybe he was crying because of his lip…”

Sehun looked back and gasped when he noticed that Kai’s lip was bleeding profusely. “Oh no! He must have bit it when he tripped!” Sehun flapped his hands nervously. “What do we do? What do we do?”

“Calm down,” Kris ordered, scooping Kai up off the sidewalk. Kai yelped and squirmed, elbowing Kris on his shoulder.

“Oof,” Kris grunted. “Knock it off, I’m trying to help you.” He carried Kai into the bathroom, Sehun trailing after them wringing his hands, and set him down on the sink. Kris took a paper towel, wet it and pressed it to Kai’s lip. “Now hold it there,” he said slowly. “And you’ll be fine. It doesn’t look that deep.”

Sehun breathed a sigh of relief. Problem solved, and he and Kai would just avoid the restaurant on weeknights around the time of the show. There would be no more trouble now. Or at least, that’s what he thought until he went to the super market the next day and saw a piece of paper hanging in the window.

 

 

Cliff hanger ooooh what did Sehun find?