Chapter 4

The Turbulent Times

Steven Ma knocked once on Derek's office door and without waiting for a response walked in. Derek was used to Steven's abruptness and besides there were no secrets between them. Derek placed the file he was reviewing down and smiled at Steven, "Thanks for coming over on such short notice."

Taking a seat, Steven smiled, "Not a problem. What do you need help with?"

"Its Charmaine."

Steven frowned, "What about her?" He knew the internal battle between the two. Although he worked for Derek, he can't help but admire Charmaine. When he first came along with Derek, Charmaine had just started out working in her father's company. She didn't know anything at all. But she was friendly and very hardworking. She asked many questions, and Steven was among one that she took up instant companionship with. She turned to him for advice and guidance, not knowing his true relationship and tie to Derek. Throughout these years, Steven had come to think of Charmaine as a good friend, rather than the enemy Derek made her to be.

Derek saw the wariness in Steven's face and knew that he had a soft spot for Charmaine. Not wanting to jeopardize his plan, he casually asked, "Are you dating her?"

Surprised by the question, Steven stammered, "Of course not! We're just friends." Steven looked up at Derek and saw the intensity in his face and realized too late what he had just said. "I-I meant that she thinks of me only as a friend."

Derek has gotten the answer he wanted. Steven would not be able to help him with his upcoming plan. "Ok then. Let's grab something to eat."

Steven looked at Derek and quietly asked, "What are you planning to do?"

"Nothing for you to be concerned with," Derek said. "I just want you to remember who was the one who gave you what you have today?"

Sheepishly, Steven looked at Derek with gratitude. "I will never forget all that you have done for me."

Derek walked around from his desk and placed an arm around Steven's shoulders. "Whatever happens in the weeks to come, just stay quiet. That's all I'm asking from you. Can you do that?"

Steven cannot help but feel a shiver run through him. The fear wasn't for him but for Charmaine.

===========================================================

Myolie leaned forward in her seat and lifted her bottle of beer to the air, "Let's toast a happy birthday to Selena!" The girls around the table drank happily away. Charmaine did the same but inwardly she felt the complete opposite. Not that she didn't wish Selena well but her mind was too pre-occupied with work. Myolie sensed her mood and whispered, "I'm sorry for making you come out tonight."

Charmaine smiled warmly at Myolie, "Don't be. I wanted to come out. I'm just so tired and fed up with Derek."

Myolie met and saw Derek a few times and knew the disdain Charmaine had for him. She, too, shared the same feelings. "I know. Just take each day at a time."

Charmaine sighed, "That's what I've been doing. But now he's trying to endanger Landmark and I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold him at bay."

"Don't think about it tonight. Deal with it tomorrow instead. Tonight, just let yourself have some fun. You remember what that is don't you?"

Charmaine looked at Myolie, "I don't want the other shareholders to think I'm immature or irresponsible, like what I was back then."

Now it was Myolie's turn to look at Charmaine. "But you've changed."

Charmaine laughed bitterly. "To them I will always be the spoiled rich girl who doesn't know how to do anything but to spend away her Daddy's hard-earned money."

Myolie squeezed Charmaine's shoulders, "You've put in so much effort into the company, they'll realize it soon."

Charmaine turned to Myolie and quietly said, "Hopefully before Derek ruins Landmark Limited."