Chapter 10

The Turbulent Times

Raymond followed behind Steven as they walked up the spiral stairs towards the department where Raymond would be working in. Steven clapped his hands calling for attention, "Everyone, let me introduce you to Raymond Lam. He will be the new office assistant. So feel free to hand him work." Everyone gathered around Raymond, the men shaking his hand while the women, who were all young and pretty, appraised him from head to toe. After the exchange of introductions, Steven pulled Raymond along. "I'll introduce you to Charmaine Seh now."

They took a right turn from the main work area and walked down a short hall where there was only one office in sight. Raymond saw her name plate centered neatly on the door. He turned to Steven, "Tell me the truth. Is she as beautiful as Derek claim her to be?"

Since Steven was not fully aware of Derek's plan in having Raymond come to work at Landmark Limited, he asked, "Why? What does how she look have to do with anything?"

Raymond thought about it for a moment and then realized the truth of it. He was here to do a job for Derek. The sooner he finishes it the faster he can get back to his own life of drinking and partying. Whether Charmaine Seh was beautiful or not didn't concern him. To him, she was Derek's enemy and he'll do anything within his power to help Derek. Putting on a smile for Steven's benefit, he said, "You're absolutely right. It has nothing to do with anything."

Steven knocked twice and through the heavy wooden doors Raymond heard a soft voice called out for them to come in. Standing behind Steven, Raymond was not able to see the person behind the massive desk. "Charmaine, I want to introduce you to Raymond. Today is his first day and he'll be the office assistant in your department." Steven stepped aside after the introduction and Raymond looked at the woman behind the desk. He felt his heart stop at the sight of her. It was her! He couldn't believe it! Not knowing what to say, he remained speechless as he continued to stare at her.

Charmaine got up and walked towards him extending her hand. "Hi Raymond. Welcome to Landmark."

Raymond mechanically accepted her hand in a brief handshake and felt a warm tingle when their hands touched. Steven looked at Raymond with confusion. Raymond was usually openly flirtatous when he was around pretty women. This was totally different from what Steven was used to seeing from him. "Ahem... Raymond, why don't we leave so that Charmaine can get back to her work and you can start doing yours." He ushered Raymond to the door but stopped when Charmaine called his name.

"Steven, are you available for lunch tomorrow?, "Charmaine asked as she returned to her chair.

"Yes I am," Steven responded casting a brief glance at Raymond, who was still staring at Charmaine. "I can't believe you miss me already. You just had lunch with me."

Charmaine laughed softly, "Since you treated today, its only fair that I repay you. What are friends for."

Pushing Raymond out the door, Steven replied, "I'll see you tomorrow then."

When they were back out in the hallway, Raymond pulled Steven inside a small pantry off to the side and shut the door. "Why didn't you tell me that was Charmaine Seh you had lunch with?"

"Does it matter?"

Raymond checked himself. He was here on a mission. Since he was already interested in her even before knowing who she was, it would make the job easier. When he first laid eyes on her at the Club he thought she was beautiful and was extremely attracted to her. But she appeared too serious and he knew those types. They don't understand the rules of the game. They become all clingy after a couple of dates and then they want some sort of commitment from you. Now that he knew who she was, Raymond was anticipating the fun he would have with her. He'll crush her so hard that she'll regret the day she crossed Derek. "No it doesn't. Show me my desk now."