Memories

Family of Five

 

‘Are you sure your fever didn’t damage your brain?’,Hyesung asked Mir seriously.

‘I’m sure.’,Mir answered while smiling.

‘Mir,what is this?I never thought you would do this!’,Hyesung said in frustration.

He was glad that Mir finally came to work today after two weeks but his happiness ended quite abruptly.Mir was there just to gave his resignation letter.What’s worse was that he actually learned that Mir will move to L.A with Eric.Tomorrow.

‘Hyung!You’re the one who told me to give him a chance.Here I am,giving him a chance.’,Mir said casually.

‘I know but,what about your brothers?’,Hyesung asked,concerned.

‘Seungho hyung told me to go.The others seem like they’re okay with it.’,Mir said,eyes avoiding Hyesung.

‘What about you then?Are you okay with this?Leaving them?Leaving here?’

‘This is not about me anymore.’,Mir stated,looking at his lap.

‘This IS about you.Look,I know that Eric is my friend,but I have to say that this is pretty selfish of him.How could he just take you away from your brothers who have been taking care of you since you’re born?Stop thinking about others,Mir.Think about yourself too.’,Hyesung urged.

‘I have to think about others,hyung.They’ve suffered enough.I know that this problem has taken a toll on them.So,I have to go.Away so that they can leave these behind and move on.And be happy like they were before.’,Mir said in a sad voice.

‘Do you honestly think that they would be happy after you’ve gone?You’re  apart of them,Mir.Not some kind of stranger that they could easily forget.’

‘How would you know that?You don’t even know them.’,Mir said accusingly.

‘Based on what you told me,I could tell that they definitely love you a lot.’,Hyesung said in a matter-of-fact tone.

‘Well,they were just doing it out of responsibility.’,Mir interjected.

Hyesung sighed and stared at Mir.This boy is really making me lose my patience.

‘Argh,talking to you is really frustrating!This feels like talking to a character in weekend drama!’,Hyesung suddenly threw tantrum.

Mir laughed at his boss’ antics and got up from his chair.’Life is a drama,hyung.I’ve got to go.I haven’t finished packing yet.’

‘Wait,Mir.’,Hyesung called out making Mir sat back.

‘Take this with you.’,Hyesung gave back Mir’s resignation letter.

‘Hyung,don’t-‘,Mir tried to reject.

Hyesung put up a finger,signalling Mir to stop talking.

‘Think about it,Mir.I’m not just talking about your job.I’m talking about this whole thing.’,Hyesung said to Mir seriously.

Mir sighed and smiled.’Can I get a hug,then?’

‘No.I don’t want your goodbye hug.’,Hyesung said sternly and pretending to focused on the papers on his table.

‘Wah,hyung!You’re so mean.’,Mir whined.

Hyesung ignored Mir.

‘Okay,then.Goodbye,hyung.Thanks for everything.’,Mir laughed lightly and finally walking out from Hyesung’s office.

‘Okay,see you next week.’,Hyesung said,still denying Mir’s departure.

Mir laughed out loud and walked away.Hyesung looked up after Mir’gone.Mir,I hope you’ll be happy…

 

 

Mir walked into the house.Lately,the house have been more quiet than ever.Eventhough,Cheondung had move back in.Mir admitted that he hadn’t talked much with his brothers in the last few days.It has been that way since he broke out the news of him leaving a few days after he was released from the hospital.When they do talk,they only talked about his preparation for leaving.All of them kind of further themselves away from him.Probably they’re practicing to get used to my absence…

‘I’m home.’,Mir greeted Byunghee  and Joon who were watching television.

Byunghee and Joon just raising their hands,acknowledging his presence.

Mir looked around and said,’Where’s Seungho hyung and Cheondung hyung?’

‘They’re out.Buying dinner.’,Joon answered.

‘You’re not cooking today,hyung?’,Mir asked Byunghee.

‘Nope.’,Byunghee shook his head.

Mir nodded and walked into his room.He felt quite sad.He was expecting to eat Byunghee’s cooking today.For the last time.Although,Byunghee is not really the best cook in the world,that’s the only taste that he knew of.The taste of home.Mir looked at the empty shelves in his room.He did not packed much.Just his books and his clothes.Eric was already in L.A.Preparing for his schools and stuff.Mir sighed.Remembering Hyesung’s word.Think about it,huh?You have no idea how much I think about it,hyung.When I’m done with it,Seungho hyung just said the magic word and here I am,packing my stuff.Back when he was a little boy,he always questioned why he doesn’t have a father or a mother.Now that he had one,why doesn’t it felt like his life is complete?Instead,he felt more lonely than ever.

 

‘Hyung,why don’t I have a father?’,Mir asked Seungho while they were walking back from the kindergarten.

‘Huh?’,Seungho startled a bit.

‘Seungho hyung,Byunghee hyung,Joon hyung and Cheondung hyung all have a father,right?Why don’t I have one?’,Mir asked again.This time,his big eyes were looking at Seungho with curiousity.

Seungho lifted him and said while smiling.’That’s because you have us.’

 

‘Hyung,my teacher asked me and my friends to bring our parents to school tomorrow.’,Mir said while they’re eating dinner.

All of his brothers looked at him.’But I don’t have parents.What should I do?’,Mir pouted.

‘Well,I can be your father.’,Joon said excitedly.

‘Why are you the father?You’re too young.’,Byunghee stated.

‘But he looks older than his age,hyung.I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.’,Cheondung said.

Joon glared at Cheondung.’What did you just say?This is not old,this is mature face.’

’If we’re looking for someone who looks old,doesn’t Byunghee fits the role the most?His moustache makes he looks like he already in his thirties.Right,ajusshi?’,Seungho teased Byunghee.

Byunghee scoffed.’Your eyebags looks older,grandpa.’

‘Now,now.Let Mir choose then.Mir-yah,who do you want to be your father?,’Cheondung asked Mir who was just staring at his brothers.

Mir suddenly rubbed his chin,proving that he’s thinking hard.His brothers giggling at his cuteness.

‘Seungho hyung.’,Mir said,beaming with smiles.

‘Wah!High five!’,Seungho high five with Mir excitedly before stopping.

‘Wait.Why me?Is it because I look old?’,Seungho said,suddenly confused at Mir’s choice.

‘Mmm..no.It’s because Seungho hyung fixed my bicycle and fixed everything.’,Mir shaking his head and making gestures with his hands,showing how many things Seungho had fixed.

‘Then,every mechanics can be a father.’Joon said.

Seungho smacked Joon’s head.’Ignore him,Mir.He was just jealous you didn’t pick him.’

‘I’m jealous too.What about me,then,Mir-yah?You don’t want me to become your father?’,Byunghee whined.

Mir thought hard for a while before exclaiming,‘Byunghee hyung can be the mother!’

All of them laughed out loud except for Byunghee.

‘Yah!I’m a guy.How could I be the mother?’,Byunghee protested.

Mir looked confused and said innocently.’But Byunghee hyung pack my food.Like a mother.And Byunghee hyung nags a lot.’

The laughter got louder.Byunghee tried to pretend that he’s angry but then he gave up at Mir’s cuteness and kissed Mir’s cheek.

‘Okay,then.’,Byunghee said.

The next morning,Seungho and Byunghee came to Mir’s school.And Byunghee wore a wig.

 

Mir smiled at the memories.He lied down on his bed before suddenly Cheondung opened the door and said,’Mir,dinner’s ready.’

 

 

 

Joon looked up when Mir and Cheondung walked into the kitchen.

‘Have you finished packing?’,Seungho asked Mir.

Mir nodded and sat down.Joon watched Mir’s expression carefully.This boy have been hard to read lately.Joon couldn’t figure out what Mir was thinking.Leaving?Joon thought that it was the last thing that Mir would do but,it seemed like he was wrong.

‘What time are your flight?I’ll drive you.’,Seungho said.There Seungho go again.Talking like he was Mir’s driver.Ever since Mir said that he will be leaving,Seungho has actively helping him with the preparation.It almost pissed Joon off.

‘It’s okay.I’ve already booked a taxi.’,Mir said.And there’s Mir,insisting to do everything himself.Pushing them away.

The dinner went quietly as it does these past few days.Everything that goes in Joon’s throat doesn’t even have taste anymore.He wanted to hold Mir back but he just couldn’t.Since it’s what Mir wanted.He couldn’t do anything except for watching and hoping that all of this was just a dream.

 

 

Joon looked at the clock on his bedroom’s wall.It’s already 11 o’clock.He then looked at his bed.Honestly,he did not feel any urge to sleep right now.He walked out of his room and saw Byunghee and Cheondung sitting on the couch in front of the television.The television was switched on,but none them actually watching it.Both of them just stared into space,lost in their thoughts.Joon sat on the floor,beside Cheondung.He was about to open his mouth to say something when Seungho just walked into the living room and sat beside him.

‘What are you guys watching?’,Seungho asked.

‘I have no idea.’,Byunghee answered.

‘Can I join you guys?’,suddenly Mir’s voice was heard.All of them look at the maknae.

Byunghee motioned Mir to sat beside him.

‘Wait.’,Mir hold up his hand and ran back into his room.Then,he came out with both hands occupied with pillows and blankets .

‘Let’s sleep together.’,Mir said excitedly.

Cheondung smiled.’That’s a good idea.’,he said and helped Mir arranging the pillows.

‘Wah!It’s been a long time since we did this,huh?’,Joon said.And it might’ve become the last time…

‘No,actually we did slept together at the hospital.’,Byunghee stated.

‘It doesn’t count since Seungho hyung was not there.’,Cheondung said and Mir nodded.

‘I think we haven’t slept together since Joon hyung started snoring.’,Mir said.

The brothers laughed at Joon and Mir held Seungho’s shoulder and said,’And of course you too,hyung.’

Seungho stopped laughing and scoffed.’Mine’s not as loud as Joon’s.Joon snored like a storm.’

‘Whatever.’,Joon said and lied down on the pillow the maknaes have arranged.

Seungho laughed and hugged Joon.’Aigoo,are you sulking,Joonie?’

Joon pushed Seungho away,pretend to be annoyed.Byunghee looked at Seungho in horror and said,’Leave the aegyo to the maknae,Seungho-yah.You’re giving me goosebumps.’

Seungho then jumped at Byunghee and shot another aegyo.Mir laughed at Seungho.Apparently happy to see Seungho’s bright side again.

All of them lied down beside each other.Joon stared at the ceiling and said,’We used to sleep like this because there’s always been a blackout,right?’

‘Yeah,because Cheondung was scared of dark and dragged all of us out.’,Byunghee smiled.

‘He was crying like there was no tomorrow.I was going to kick him out.’,Seungho said while laughing.

‘Yeah,you guys were always fed up,Mir was the only one who kept comforting me,’Don’t cry,Cheondung-ah.I’m here,I’m here.’’,Cheondung imitated Mir’s kid voice.

‘What a change of role.’,Byunghee commented.

‘Mir likes dark though,he loves to play with candles and shadows.’,Joon remembered.

‘But then you’ve got me scared of candles,hyung.Since you’ve burned our sofa with it.’,Mir said.

‘Yah!It was an accident okay.’,Joon defended himself.

‘Dropping the candle while dancing with it in your hands can’t really be considered as an accident,you know.’,Byunghee stated.

‘He probably mistaken it as a torchlight.’,Seungho joked.

‘Then Seungho hyung cleaned up the mess while cursing all day long.’,Cheondung laughed.

‘He was releasing his desire to curse after always restraining himself in front of Mir.’,Byunghee added.

‘I’ve learned all my curse words that day.’,Mir said in melancholy.

‘The next thing I knew you used it at school and your teacher got so shocked that she called me to school.’,Seungho continued.

‘Yeah,I got nag a lot that day.Then Byunghee hyung packed me tofu dishes for a week as a punishment.Ergh,I can’t eat tofu until today.’,Mir groaned remembering his painful memories with tofu.

‘At least it makes you stop cursing,right?I’ve never curse in front you,right?’,Byunghee laughed at Mir.

‘Yeah,but you replaced it with weird words instead.’What a “cucumber”,what the “fish”,I’m so “piano” right now.’’,Joon said,laughing at Byunghee’s weird choice of words.

‘Maknae did that sometimes too.Once,he lost a game and he said,’Owh,tofu!’.’,Cheondung reported.

‘How come tofu could sound so angry?You’re worst though,Byunghee-yah.Piano?What the-‘,Seungho stopped himself.

‘It’s out,it’s out.’,Mir said,excited at Seungho’s almost mistake.

‘Well,I’m trying to save as many as Mir’s innocence as I can.’,Byunghee said proudly.

‘Yet you’re the one ruining it with your dating lessons.’,Joon commented.

‘I’m teaching him how to be a gentleman.’,Byunghee said.

‘Yeah right,I’m learning a lot from you,hyung.’,Mir said and hugged Byunghee in gratitude.

‘Go and get yourselves some American chicks,Mir!’,Byunghee said encouragingly.

Mir just laughed.’I’m going to miss you,maknae.’,Byunghee said,tears started to form in his eyes.

‘Me too.’,Cheondung said.

‘Me too.Like a lot.’,Joon hugged Mir.

‘Me three.’,Seungho said,trying to joke while holding back his tears.

Mir didn’t say anything in response.Joon stared at Mir.You’ll miss us too,right maknae?

 

 

 


 

A/N:Hello,everyone!New chapter added!I'm sorry that I didn't reply to some of your comments.I'm afraid that I might accidentally give away spoilers.keke.I don't trust my fingers.=3 Anyway,please leave your comments after reading!And subscribe! ^-^

p/s:Byunghee with wig.