Silence

Family of Five

 

Mir was wandering in front of his bedroom’s door.Hesitating to go out.He tried to listen to the sounds outside of his room but he heard nothing.He looked at the watch on his wrist.If he didn’t go out soon,he’ll sure be late for his school.Thousands of excuses to skip his breakfast today ran though his mind.

’I’m not hungry.I ate too much last night.’

Yeah right,you just eat like a mouthful of seaweed soup and that’s it.

‘I don’t feel too good.I’ll just eat at school.’

Then,they would be worried and send you to the clinic,you idiot!

‘I have to go to school early today.I have class duty.’

Yes!That’sit!They will never hold me back from my duty,right?Or…would they?

Mir scratched his head in frustration.

Knock!Knock!Mir jumped at the sudden knock at the door.What to do?What to do?

Then,he heard the sound of a key inserted at the door.Oh,well.Mir-yah…Let’s just embrace your fate.Let’s just hope that Seungho hyung has went to work or still sleeping or something...Mir took a deep breath and almost choked when he saw Seungho opened the door.’Hurry up.You’ll be late.’

 

 

 

The silence at the table almost make Joon threw up.Wah,how awkward could this be...Joon looked at his brothers’ faces.All of them had dark circles under their eyes.Especially Seungho,of course.If this situation was any different,he would probably laughed his hearts out.But now,he,himself did not feel any urge to laugh.Especially when he saw Mir eating his breakfast while staring at his plate.Barely keeping his heads up.

‘I’ll pick you up from school today.’Seungho suddenly said.

Mir looked up at Seungho and hummed a yes.His face was looking more sad than before.Joon wondered why.Did he feel sad that he’ll not be able to meet his father?Did he like him?Did he like him more than he likes us?Lots of questions running through his head.None escaped his mouth.He was hoping that one of his brothers would ask Mir about his father but none of them did.It seemed like everyone were afraid of the answers that might come out from Mir’s mouth,just like him.

‘Are you guys going to be home for dinner?’Byunghee broke the silence.Byunghee’s carefree tone almost made Joon thought that Byunghee had already recovered from their talk last night but when he looked at Byunghee’s expression,he realized that he’s not.He was just trying to brighten up the mood.

‘Why?Are you going to cook us something special?’,Joon said to Byunghee,playing along.

‘No.I have a date with pretty girls tonight.’

Girls?Hyung,you really…’,Cheondung said in a fake shock voice,playfully holding the back of his neck like every mother in the weekend dramas always did when their children did something wrong.

Joon laughed at Cheondung’s lame imitation.This kid too,huh?

‘What?y guy like me shouldn’t be kept in this house all day long,you know.I should be exposed to the world for the sake of the eyes of all the girls out there.’,Byunghee said while touching his face with proud.

‘y guy?Right now,you look more like a erted ajusshi if you asked me.’,Joon scoffed at Byunghee’s ridiculous statement.

Without waiting for any second, Byunghee smacked his forehead.

’YAH!You really…Do you want to die?!’,Joon yelled at Byunghee while rubbing his red forehead.

‘I should be the one asking you that.How dare you look down on my iness.Clean the dishes!’,Byunghee ordered.

Joon gave Byunghee an unsatisfied look while picking up the dishes.But then,he glanced at the now slightly smiling Mir.Joon unknowingly smile too.You really like seeing your brother suffers,huh?

 

 

 

The whole day went as usual.Seungho and Joon went to their works.Byunghee continued working at home and Cheondung already went back to his dorm.Mir got off from school and walked slowly to the gate.He already saw Seungho’s car from the distance.He sighed and took out his phone.Dialling Hyesung’s number.

‘Hello,hyung.I don’t think I could go to work today.Seungho hyung is picking me up from school.’

‘It’s okay.I understand.’

Mir hung up and got into Seungho’s car.

‘I’ll just dropped you off at home.Asked Joon to order something for dinner.I have something to do.’,Seungho said without looking at Mir.

‘Okay.’,Mir said timidly.

 

 

 

‘It’s okay.I understand.’,Hyesung said and put his phone back into his pocket.

‘What did he said?’,Eric asked.

‘He can’t make it today.Seungho’s picking him up.’

Eric sighed deeply.’He must didn’t want Cheolyong to see me again.’

‘Give them some time,Eric.After all these years,it must have been hard for them.’,Hyesung comforted Eric.

Eric just smiled bitterly at him and stared at the table for two near the window.That was the table where he talked to Cheolyong for the first time.His one and only son.

 

 

‘My name is Eric Mun.’Eric introduced himself at the teenager in front of him.Mir just took a look at him and nodded.Eric stared at Mir.They looked so  similar.The similarity was the first thing that caught his attention in the first place.The thing that made him forced his friend,Hyesung to tell him everything about his teenage employee to Eric.

‘My name is Mir.’Mir said.His voice was barely heard.Mir…Eric smiled at the mention of the boy’s name.

‘I know.That was the name that I picked for my son,if I had one.’,Eric said.He could see that Mir was trying hard to keep his face expressionless.

‘Cheolyong.’Mir looked at him with confusion.

‘That was the name your mom picked if she had another son.’,Eric continued.

He laughed slightly and said,’I said that it was too countrified and she said the name I picked was too weird.’

Eric was quiet for a while and sighed.’In the end,she picked mine.She was always like that.Your mom.Always think of others first before herself.That’s why I loved her.’

Mir kept quiet all the time.Eric was the only one who did all the talking,telling Mir everything.About his memories with Mir’s mother.The sweet ones and the bitter ones.

‘Cheolyong-ah….Can I call you that?’.Eric asked carefully.

Mir just nodded again.

‘Can we meet again?Like this?’

This time Mir hesitated a bit but then nodded again.

 

That was how their first meeting went.Cheolyong barely said anything but Eric was more than relieved that Cheolyong didn’t immediately pushed him away.Although,he noticed Cheolyong always avoided to see him after that,like pretending to be busy when he came to visit the restaurant.He knew that Cheolyong just needed time.Yesterday,he finally succeed to have Cheolyong met him and celebrate his birthday together for the first time.It was pretty much the same as their first meeting.Eric was still the one who did all the talking,but Eric could see that Cheolyong started to open up to him.He was more relaxed.Laughing once in a while.Letting Eric hug him….Remembering what happen yesterday,Eric sighed for the thousandth time today.If he knew Seungho was going to show up,he would’ve let Cheolyong went home earlier,just like Cheolyong asked him to.

Eric looked up when he heard someone’s walked into the restaurant.

‘We need to talk.’,Seungho said to him with a cold voice.

 


 

A/N:Updated again!keke.I was about to update yesterday to make up for the last short chapter but then my internet broke down.huhu.Thank u everyone who comments and subscribe!It really boost up my motivation.*90 degree bow*

p.s:COMEBLAQ!!!