Jealousy

Five Points On A Star

Delight - Yoo Ji Ae

I changed my format a bit. Instead of using stars, I’ll use italicized for thoughts unless stated otherwise. Sometimes italicized will also be flashbacks but it will say which one it would be.


 

“Unni, you’re so lucky. You’ve been here for only about half a year and you’re about to debut.” Su Bin pouted.

Emily chuckled awkwardly, probably because she wasn’t familiar enough with her roommate yet. “I guess... But I wouldn’t be able to if it weren’t for my oppas.”

“Your oppas?” Emily thought she had been seeing things but she thought she saw Su Bin perk up once she had mentioned her oppas.

Emily gave her weird look but continued talking, “Yeah, my oppas.”

Su Bin hooked her arm around Emily’s and pulled her somewhere, mentioning something about getting breakfast.

They both grabbed their lunch and sat at an empty table in the cafeteria. The two trainees got to know each other a bit more and Emily thought Su Bin was a sweet girl.

Soon, Emily began to notice that everyone was pointing fingers and whispering about them. The only thing she didn’t notice was Su Bin’s glares towards the other trainees.

After seeing the younger girl’s glare they scurried off. Emily looked at Su Bin and Su Bin changed her expression into a happy one.

Blinking innocently, Su Bin tilted her head to one side. “What’s wrong?”

“Er, nothing. I just thought everyone was looking at us but I guess I was just seeing things.” Emily scratched her head.

Su Bin shrugged and dug into her food, grinned smugly. This’ll be easier than I’d expected. This girl’s a fool, Su Bin thought.

­­----

It was a busy day for Emily because she found herself running back and forth to get some errands done. She only had the morning to herself and she had spent that time with Su Bin.

Emily barely had time to contact Jay and immediately felt guilty when she saw all the texts from her boyfriend.

She had to meet her co-star for her music video and she was already late. Even so, Emily grabbed her phone and gave a short but sweet message back to Jay.

‘Sorry, oppa! I’m so busy today. I’ll be at our studio in Hongdae if you want to come visit! :) I miss you!’

“Hey, Emily. This is the director of your music video His name is Shim Tae Hwan.” JYP introduced.

With a polite smile and bow, Emily greeted him and introduced herself. The director, Shim Tae Hwan, explained the theme and main idea of the music video. It was supposed to be a sad love story.

The girl, who would be played by Emily, was in love with the main guy, who was yet to be discovered. The boy loves her back but Emily’s character wants to let him go because of all the obstacles he faced while loving her.

(Okay, sorry. I really didn’t understand the whole main idea of the music video. [I’m a quite blur])

Emily grimaced, imagining if that were to happen to her relationship with Jay. I wonder what mom and dad would say right now, she thought.

Shim Tae Hwan blinked, waving his hand in front of her face. “EunMi-sshi?” He called.

Emily snapped out of it, “Sorry. I was just thinking about something.”

She was handed the script. It just said what she was physically supposed to do.

“Are you Emily?”

Startled, the said trainee dropped the book and turned around. There, she saw a handsome young man. Emily embarrassedly picked up her packet and held her hand out, “I’m Emily.”

The boy shook her hand with a firm yet gentle grip. “I’ll be playing the male lead.”

“May I ask for your name?”

“You don’t know my name?” He blurted, covering his mouth afterward. “I’m sorry, that was rude. My name is Baro.”

Emily smiled, showing off her infamous eye smile. “Nice to meet you, Baro-sshi.”

Baro faltered for a second, enhanced by her bright smile. Then, he smiled back at her.

“I don’t know if you’re really popular or not, I don’t listen to K-Pop. I’m trying to!” Emily explained.

“Ah,” Baro bobbed his head in understanding. “That’s cool. I hope you do well in the Korean music industry.” He nudged her teasingly.

Emily chuckled, “I’m learning slowly.”

“Then you should listen to my group, B1A4.”

Emily held out her pinky, “Promise!” Grinning happily, Baro laced his pinky with hers and sealed it with his thumb.

“So,” Baro walked over to the set with Emily. The coordi noona put his clothes on the side along with Emily’s while the make-up artists came to do their make-up. “Did you read the script yet?”

“I skimmed through it. Did you?”

“Yup. We have a kiss scene.”

“What?!” Emily jerked, almost making the make-up artist poke her eye out. After apologizing, Emily tried to sit still again. “Are you sure? Did you read it correctly?”

Baro laughed amusedly, his deep laughter traveling. “I was surprised, too.”

It’s okay, Emily. Don’t fret. Oppa will understand if you just explain it to him, she thought.

At that moment she saw a figure walk through the door. Emily waved enthusiastically when she noticed that it was Jay. Baro raised a single brow and looked at Emily with a peculiar stare, “Are you close to Jay sunbaenim?”

Emily abruptly stopped waving and dropped her hand by her side. “Yeah, he’s my mentor.” She sheepishly laughed, trying to fade away.

“Be right back!” Emily yelped before running over to Jay, dragging him to a deserted corner.

“You made it!” Emily beamed, resisting the urge to suffocate him in her hug right there and then.

Unexpectedly, Jay swooped down and pecked Emily’s cheek. Emily gasped in surprise. “Yah!” She grew flustered and looked around to see if anyone saw the interaction. Fortunately, it didn’t seem like anyone did. “What if someone saw that!”

Jay patted her head, I made sure no one saw it.” He waved the matter off. “Lets go. The director is looking for you.”

The director was surprised that a mentor would visit his student when it wasn’t necessary, but Jay made an excuse saying that he always supported the trainees.

Baro came over, briefly greeted Jay, and grabbed Emily’s hand. Jay grew alarmed and grabbed Emily’s other hand. “What are you doing?” He uttered.

Baro blinked, baffled. “We’re going to film for the music video,” Emily said with a little exasperation because it seemed like he was making things too obvious.

Jay muttered a small ‘oh’ and reluctantly let go of her hand. He watched them walk away and laugh while chatting together.

“Do you want to look at a copy of the script?” Someone asked him, a copy already in hand.

“Uh,” Jay stuttered, “Sure.”

He flipped the papers aimlessly and God knows how he managed to see it but he saw the word ‘kiss’ and froze instantly.

Flipping back to that page, his eyes carefully traced over the paper. (I’m re-writing the music video. Shh.)

Emily walks away and Baro grabs her arm, spinning her around. He gazes into her eyes and slowly leans in. Emily and Baro kiss.’

Jay paled visibly and flipped through the pages for any other acts of skin ship. According to the script, they were supposed to be holding hands a lot.

Jay looked up and saw Emily getting her make up ready. They put light lipstick on her lips and Jay bit his bottom lip. No, no, no. Don’t put more! He thought.

Emily wore a white dress that ended near her knees. Jay swooned, she’s beautiful. Worriedly, he looked over to Baro.

“Lets film the kiss scene first!” The director announced, much to Jay’s utter horror.

Emily’s eyes rounded. Why were they filming the kiss scene so early when it was go much later in the video? Baro also seemed surprised but he seemed excited nonetheless.

“How come we’re filming this scene so early?” Emily asked.

She casted a glance at her nervous boyfriend. He, too, met her eyes. Of course, they were expecting obstacles like this in their relationship. There was nothing they can do about it otherwise they would risk getting caught.

“Kiss scenes usually have the most NGs and we have the most time today, so take your time.” The old man explained, eyes curving into crescents when he smiled. For a director, he was pretty laid back.

The words echoed in Jay’s head loud and clear. He started to panic. It wouldn’t have affected him as much if the director didn’t mention that it took lots of tries.

The camera turned to the spotlight. The main leads both took their places and Emily’s heart thumped when she heard Shim Tae Hwan yell, “Action!”

Baro started walking. Jay felt like he would faint as Baro got close to her. Gently, Baro gripped her arm with one hand and cupped her face with the other. Emily’s eyes were already water as she was prepared to cry accordingly.

Baro closed his eyes and leaned down slowly. Their noses touched and Emily closed her eyes. Her tear was about to drop as she felt Baro’s lips just millimeters away from hers.

But Jay’s coughing had surprised them. The director, who had been watching the scene intensely, sighed and yelled, cut. Jay apologized but something in Jay’s eyes made Emily think that he was up to something.

They re-enacted the scene again but this time, Kay had ‘tripped’ and the mic was pushed so that it hit Baro’s head. He winced and the director was forced to stop again. By now, Emily had shed many tears and her eyes were a bit red. She had her make-up fixed for the nth time.

Emily hadn’t know she was so good at self-crying but no, thanks to Jay, she knew she was practically a professional!

It was already the twelfth take. Like before, they took their place. And just like the previous takes, they had to stop right before the kiss.

The usually patient director screamed in outrage, tossing his hat on the floor. He swirled around and pointed a single finger at Jay. “You,” he seethed. “Get out!”

Jay tried to protest but the old man refused to budge. Nevertheless, Jay was kicked out. He watched from the screen outside and winced as the bell rang, signaling that they were filming.

Time felt slow as Jay watched Emily lean towards Baro. His heart wanted to burst as it hammered against his chest.

The two stars kissed and Jay couldn’t do anything else but to whimper.