Squirrel

The Reality of Mythology
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Today starts as a good day for Mina. Despite the fact that she was about to drown in her own rented pool last night, she still feels bright the morning after. She knows that once she steps into her school, her friends would start to talk about her successful birthday party.

Once she arrives, after her brother drops her off, a wide smile forms on her face. She skips happily inside the school gate and people cheerfully greets her. Every step she makes, there’s always someone that praises her for her party. She feels that all of her hard work in preparing for the party had paid off.

“The big shot party planner is in the house!!” Chaerin announces once Mina step into her class.

She chuckle as the rest of the class howl with Chaerin. “Alright, alright, mere mortal. Calm down” Mina jokes.

“That was amazing party, Mina! My mom scolds me for coming home late, but it was WORTH IT!!” Junho shrieks like a maniac, possibly still high from excessive alcohol last night.

Mina chuckles, feeling the high that radiates from her classmates ade into her. She sits next to Chaerin, in her usual spot and start chatting away with her classmates and shares stories about what happens in her party. A lot of scandal arises during the party and she snickers whenever someone tells a new one.

It wasn’t until her teacher walks in to start the class that her classmates finally leave her table and scatters towards theirs.

 

 


The five girls are sitting on the side of a field, watching boys playing soccer in the middle while picking which one would they date. They had their lunch on their laps but their eyes are transfixed onto the sweating boys in the middle of the field.

“I’d date him” Bom points the one who passes by with a ball.

“Ew. WooYoung?? No no no no no…” Minzy wags her chopsticks in Bom’s direction. “He’s gay”

“WHAT??” Dara shrieks, “There is no way he’s gay!!”

“Trust me, eonni! I saw him with his hand on some guy’s the other day!” Minzy claims.

Chaerin laughs loudly, “Aigoo… I’m pretty sure he’s not” She pulls out something out of her bag and shows it to the girls.

She holds out a pink colored envelope with hearts all around it. Impatiently, Mina snatches the letter and opens it hastily. She unfolds the paper within and begins to read the content out loud. It is a love letter made by Wooyoung for Chaerin and as soon as Mina finishes reading, the girls fall in laughter.

“Aish Chaerin-ah… I was about to snatch him!” Bom playfully complains.

“Go ahead, I don’t like men with too much calf muscle” Chaerin shudders and they laugh louder, making some of the boys to stop and stare.

“You don’t like men who is too tall, you don’t like men who is too smart, you don’t like men who is too buff, seriously Chaerin, your type of men is really ordinary” Mina mocks her bestfriend.

“At least I have a type, not like you who dwells on someone who doesn’t even notice you!” Chaerin retorts.

“Hey! That’s uncalled for!” Mina smacks Chaerin’s arm. “But who says anything about him not noticing me?”

“Huh?” The girls reluctantly take their eyes away from the running boys and turn to Mina.

“Yesterday Junhyung oppa came to my party…” Mina leans her body closer to her friends so that no one can hear her story, “and he gave me a present”

“OMO!! What?? What?? Let me see!!” Dara exclaim, excited.

Mina giggle, “It’s a stone”

The squeals suddenly stop and smile in the girls’ faces turns into a frown.

“What the heck?! Who would give a girl a stone?? Is he a penguin??” Chaerin complains without giving Mina the chance to explain.

“Aish!! Anni! It holds a special meaning!” Mina says, and her eyes start to wander off dreamily. “It’s his family stone. It passed down from one generation to another… It was his mother’s and now he gave it to me!!”

“OMO!!” Minzy squels in excitement, “That is so sweet!!!”

“I know, right!!” Mina says proudly.

“You better tell me you spent the rest of the night with him after we left” Bom says.

Mina chuckles, “No, he need to go home early because he promised to take his mother somewhere this morning”

The four girls groan in disappointment. It has been a year since at least one of them has a boyfriend. When Bom breaks up with her boyfriend last summer, they’ve been spending too much time with each other that they forgot to look for a male companion.

Now that the topic comes up, they realize how much they miss listening to stories about each other’s love life.

“Ah!” Suddenly, Mina snaps her finger, remembering something, “Do you guys by any chance know a guy with a great smile, small eyes, built body and blonde hair? He said he was in the party last night but I didn’t notice him until you guys went home…”

“Ooooh…! After Junhyung falls on your lap, you go on to another?? Naughty naughty!” Bom teases.

“I was cleaning up the yard and fell to the pool…” Mina ignores Bom’s remarks.

“What?? Are you okay??” Dara begin to panic and checking Mina’s body.

“Calm down, girl! I’m still breathing aren’t i??” Mina smacks Dara’s hands off her. Dara is always the drama queen.

“Anyway” Mina continues, “I was so sure that I’m going to die after like hours being underwater...”

“YA! Don’t exaggerate!!” Chaerin smacks the back of Mina’s head.

Mina snickers, “Well, suddenly this guy came out from no where and next thing I know, I can breath again”

Mina wanted to tell her friends about the whole incident and the magic essence of it all but something tells her that her friends wont believe her story so she decided to veil the details to save the time.

“That guy pulled you out?” Minzy asks curiously.

“He jumped in actually and pushes me out” Mina explains.

“Whoa… so manly” Dara commented. Not everyday you can get a man that willing to get himself wet just to save a girl.

“Does he go to this school?” Chaerin asks apprehensively. Trust her to be the one who looks out for every suspicious thing around us. There’s a reason why we call her a Rottweiler.

“I don’t know… I haven’t seen that face around… If I had, I would've remember… There’s something about his smile…” Mina stares empty to the field in wonder as she remembers the way the blonde haired boy smiled shiningly at her.

“If I didn’t know any better, I would assume you fall for him, Mina-ya” Bom eyeing her dazed friend who quickly perplex out of her daydream.

“No… I’m not thinking of it that way… It’s just… I think there’s something different with that guy…” Mina says, adding another sentence inside her head.

‘Other than the fact that he can produces oxygen mask out of thin air’

 

***


The bell rings twice, signaling the end of school period for the day. Students scampering outside of their classroom, wanting to get away from school as quickly as possible as if their life depended on it. Some stays, having extracurricular commitment that cannot be ignored, while others enjoy the freedom of being young.

Mina walks out of her classroom after spending 15 minutes gossiping with her fellow classmates until one by one excuses themselves for their own schedules. Chaerin had gone the minute the bell rang for she has to attend a fashion event somewhere in the Gangnam district. Chaerin had begged Mina to come, of course, but the latter rejected straight away, having no interest to be in fashion industry what so ever.

Mina walks home by h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter