Chapter 2

Almost Heaven

 

HANA’S POV:

 

After leaving the principal’s office, I headed to my first class. I wandered about the campus a bit, searching for the right building number, and after finally finding the correct building, and struggling to find the classroom being that I never bothered to take a map from the administrations office, by some miracle, I still managed to arrive before the teacher.

 

I glanced around the room and noticed that there were only few seats left. Most of the students seemed to know each other at least to a degree, because guys had their arms draped over other guy’s shoulders in a friendly manner, girls were gathered in clusters of four or more scrolling through pictures and texts on their cell phones, and even the seemingly outcast students were sitting in silence with other silent students quietly reading books. 

 

After my eyes swept through the room again, I spotted a seat in the first row next to the window, void of students. Sighing, I walked over to the desk, my boots clicking on the worn tile, and sat in the chair placing my bag on the desk with a soft thump. So this was the start of my college life in Seoul?

 

I pulled out my phone and sent a quick text to umma, informing her that I had indeed arrived to my first class safely, and I had only just pressed the send button when the teacher strutted in. I quickly tossed by phone back in my bag and folded my hands on top of it as the other students scurried to their seats.

 

He was a stern looking man, his eyes were shielded by thick black rimmed glasses, and his hair was combed down in a very unattractive yet professional style. His brown shoes were shiny enough that I swear if I were to look into them, I would see my reflection, and as I was admiring the color of his pale blue dress shirt and clean white tie, my eye was distracted by the observation that the top button was buttoned up one loop off. But the button aside, his appearance painted him as a no nonsense teacher, and this must’ve been true because the other students silenced themselves instantly once he was positioned behind his desk.

 

“Good morning class. As many of you know, I am Mr. Song, the level two marketing teacher. I hope we will have a good year together.” While his words may have been kind and even welcoming, his tone implied differently. I knew that I would not cross Mr. Song in the near or for that matter, distant future.

 

Mr. Song’s eyes examined the classroom, and he must have realized with those small keen eyes behind his glasses that must be sharp for picking me out so fast, that I was a new student, because he trained his eyes on me for a few seconds before announcing, “Miss, can you stand and introduce yourself? You don’t seem to be a returning student.”

 

I nervously stood from my seat and bowed to Mr. Song, before turning to bow again and address the class. My hands were fidgeting so I attempted to control the impulse by holding them together in front of me. “Hello,” I tired to hide the discomfort in my voice and sound as confident as possible. “I am Kim Hana, and I am new transfer student from the United States. Please take care of me.” I stood awkwardly for a moment until Mr. Song motioned with an indiscrete head nod to take a seat.

 

I quickly sat back down feeling the blush creep on my face as I heard the start of the snickering. A new student from the US, and I wasn’t even American. I was sure to be an adequate topic for headliner gossip these next couple of weeks.

 

“Okay class quiet down.” Mr. Song began the lesson right away which I was extremely grateful for. I tried my hardest to listen to what he was saying carefully, jotting down notes in the notebook that I had brought with me from home, and trying my best to ignore the gawking stares of some of the students who obviously could care less about marketing.

 

First period dragged by at an unbearable pace, and second period Business Statistics wasn’t much better. By the time my lunch period rolled around, I was tired and even more nervous than before. Nobody had said anything to me yet, however I could feel the stares during both classes, and I would be lying if I said they didn’t make me uncomfortable and a bit anxious.

 

I slowly walked to the cafeteria and when I got there, I realized that I was going to have to move faster in the future. The lunch line was extremely long, and I waited behind a couple who stood so close together that I doubt a single sheet of paper would’ve been able to fit in between them. I tried my best to look anywhere but in front of me as to avoid any more awkwardness, not that they would even notice.

 

After I had bought my food and made distance between myself and the “lovely” couple, I pinpointed a lone bench near the edge courtyard, so I decided it was a safe place to eat.

 

I began chewing on a piece of kimchi and pulled out my phone to see if umma had replied. I was disappointed to see that she hadn’t, however I brushed it aside. I knew she was busy. So I mindless continued eating my lunch while playing random games on my phone and texted some of my friends in the US. I knew that it was very late for them there, so I would have to wait to receive their replies later as well. So far, my first day wasn’t amounting to much.

 

 

AUTHOR’S POV: 

 

As usual, the group of boys met in the courtyard by the cafeteria in the same place by the fountain as they had been doing since they all started attending. It had become a tradition, and the boys never dishonored these seemingly flawless traditions such as the cafeteria meeting place, the parking lot conversations, and the end of semester date chase, however since Taeyang began dating Eun Hee, he no longer participated in that one. So it was a surprise that Seungri, the one who normally started these strange traditions, was not present. But then again, it was Seungri, so he was probably out seducing some random girl, and they brushed it aside for the moment. 

 

“So everyone,” Taeyang started out the conversation. “How were your first classes today?”  

Jiyong sighed and stretched out is arms as he replied sleepily. “They were fine, but just as boring as ever. Damn, why does school start so early? By the way,” Jiyong looked around. “Where is Seungri?”

The group began heading towards the nearest empty table as Daesung answered. “Haven’t seen him since this morning. Wait, I’ll call him.”

He whipped out his phone, and the moment he was about to dial the number, Seungri entered the courtyard and bounded up to them, slinging his arm around Daesung’s neck. 

“What’s up guys?” He cheerily greeted.

“Where’ve you been?” Taeyang raised an eyebrow as he shot Seungri a skeptical look. Seungri was never up to anything good.

Seungri just smiled and leaned over to wrap his free arm around Taeyang’s shoulders. “Nothing much, just enjoying the day.”

“Whatever you say,” Taeyang slipped out of Seungri’s grasp and moved back over to Eun Hee who was giggling at the scene. 

The boys and Eun Hee placed their books and school bags down at the table to save their seats, and walked off to get their food.

On their way back to their table, Eun Hee noticed a girl sitting off by herself on a bench at the edge of the courtyard silently eating.

“Hey,” she spoke up, bringing the boy’s attention off of their conversation about after school plans to her. 

“What’s up Eun Hee?” Taeyang questioned.

Eun Hee nodded in the direction of the girl. “Isn’t she that girl from the parking lot earlier?”

Seungri’s face split into a wide smile. “Yes she is. Her name is Kim Hana, and she’s a transfer student from the United States. Today’s her first day.”

The entire group halted with the exception of Seungri who mindless kept walking forward until he realized he was alone. He spun around to see the entire group with their jaws dropped speechless. How in the world did he know everything?

Seunghyun found his voice first. “Yah, how do you know that? Don’t tell me that you really asked your mother?”

“No,” Seungri’s face scrunched into an almost irritated expression. “Do you think I run to my mother for everything? No, I don’t. The only reason I know who she is, is because we are in the same class.”

Everyone just nodded, seemingly content with his answer, and they took the final strides to their table, sat down, and began to eat.

About fifteen minutes later, Eun Hee suddenly stood up and was about to walk away when Taeyang grabbed her wrist. 

“Hey, where are you going? You didn’t even finish eating.” He tried to act concerned, but he was obviously just confused. His girlfriend always sat by him the entire lunch period, and then he would walk her to her next class. He didn’t understand why she was leaving. 

Eun Hee nonchalantly pointed in the opposite direction. “I’m going to go talk to her. She’s all alone and it’s her first day. Plus I want to apologize again for this morning.”

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hello ,dear readers !

I want to thank all those who commented and subscribed , i really appreciate it .

And once and again http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/244880