Quatre

Strange Indifference

Victoria woke up few hours later, in what seemed like an hospital room. She had some difficulties opening her eyes, the light was too bright, it felt like it was burning her skin. She turned to the side to avoid it and her eyes grew wider at the sight. 

A man was standing beside her reading what looked like a magazine, she wanted to scream but no sound would come out. When he noticed a pair of brown eyes staring at him, he lifted his head and smiled brightly at her, in relief. 

"Finally you woke up Miss !" His tone was joyful, maybe too much, he had dark brown eyes and a very deep voice. He had a very trendy hair color, going for a cyan color, his jaw line was proeminent and a very small nose, it irrated her. She didn't knew what it was supposed to mean.

"Who are you ? What are you doing here ?" She said trying to get up, she moved too fast, her head was spinning and she felt like she was going to throw up. She reached for the nightstand to hold steady but the man quickly got up and helped her. She looked down at his hand which was holding her wrist and got out of his grip glaring at him. He took a step back and smiled awkwardly, holding his hands in surrender.

"I am sorry, I should have presented myself first. My name is Choi Seunghyun, I don't know if you remember but last night, a drunk man started harassing you and he hit you, pretty badly and then you passed out. You were with your friend, Soeun, at a bar." He said carefully, trying not to give her too much info at once. She looked lost and confused. She had some troubles recalling what happened, all she remembered was a conversation she got with Siwon over the phone, and even that, she wasn't sure if it really happened of if it was her imagination. 

She said no words, she just looked confused, confused at her own mind for playing such a trick on her. He could not possibly lie, there was no reason he would be by her side to lie though ? But then again, she still don't know why he was there either. She came to the conclusion that she somehow, partly forgot what happened the night before, it was all blurr

"You haven't answered my question, why are you here ? Where is Soeun ?" She said as she was trying to retrieve her phone, she had to find her. What if something happened to Soeun or if Soeun tried to reach her but she couldn't. Seunghyun furrowed his eyebrows and tried to understand what she was doing. 

"I need to find my phone, I need to know if Soeun is fine or not." She muttered under breath while searching frantically. It seemed like the shock was too great for her, maybe he should've waited for the doctor to come before talking. He got up and pushed the button to call a nurse, he couldn't leave her alone but the doctor needed to see her. He then went to Victoria to help her calm down, assuring her Soeun was fine and that her belonging were preciously put away.

Few seconds later a young nurse came in, she noticed right away that Victoria was awake but wasn't looking very good.

"Miss, I see you woke up."  Victoria stopped moving around and glanced at the nurse as she nodded.

"I'll call the doctor but before that I need to ask you few questions and have some simple test, alright ?" She asked smiling sweetly while checking Victoria's files which was hanged on the bed. She didn't wait for Victoria to reply before she started taking her blood pressure.

"Do you feel any pain ?" 

Victoria simply shook her head looking away from Seunghyun.

"Alright, how much do you see ?" She said holding a few fingers up.

"Three."

"Alright, I'll call the doctor, he'll comes see you later." 

She was ready to leave but Seunghyun quickly got up and followed her outside, earning a strange glare from Victoria who was still confused. He carefully closed the door behind him.

"Excuse me, I have a question." The nurse turned around and smiled at him, waiting for him to ask his question.

"It seems like she have a memory loss, I told her what happened to her but it seems like she don't remember at all."

"It happens but it mostly is temporary, the doctor will come check on Miss Song and give you the right prognosis." She replied and quickly left, Seunghyun stood in the corridor, not knowing what to do. He took a deep breath and got back in wondering why he was still there. Victoria was lying on the bed, her eyes focused on the ceiling. He carefully reached for the seat next to the bed and also looked at the ceiling.

"The reason I am here is because I was there, I saw what happened and I wanted to make sure you were fine. You friend, Soeun, is talking with the police right now." She sighed in relief not losing focus, a tear escaping her eye.

"Thank you..." His ears were paying attention, the sound of her voice was so weak, so small, he couldn't possibly leave her alone. He suddenly regretted thinking a few seconds earlier how he could get out from here.

____________________________________________________________________________

It was a little bit before 9:00AM, Changmin was in his father's office walking in circles for what seemed like an eternity. He was annoyed, she was supposed to be there soon but nobody was here. Wasn't it supposed to be common knowledge that one should go to an appointment a little bit earlier, she apparently didn't knew that. He didn't wanted to miss her, he had to have a little talk with her. He got out and went to Dambi, who was patiently waiting at her desk. 

"Call her!" He almost yelled, she jumped in shock and grabbed the phone to dial her number. But as expected, there was no answer, they tried a few times before giving up. 

"She can not possibly be real here, is that supposed to be a joke ?" He scoffed looking questionnably at Dambi who shrugged her shoulders. She also was kind of surprised, she thought Victoria would have at least be there ten minutes earlier but the clock was past 9 and she wasn't there. Changmin got up and went back to the office to get his phone. 

"If she ever comes, call me." With that, he left. As he was heading toward his office his phone rang, the ID displayed a strange name "Sherlock", Changmin sighed and took the call. 

"Good morning, Mr Shim."

"What is it ?"

"I have some news for you, from what I have gathered so far, Victoria Song is transparent, she got nothing to hide. I digged a little bit but I found nothing special, there's not even traffic ticket she hasn't paid. Though, I wouldn't say the same for Yonghwa, in Korea, he is clear but over the few months there is one phone number he called a lot. I found out the owner of the number is a man working for guess which company ?"

Changmin couldn't believe it, he was now sure the guy who was looking weird the day he went to Victoria's office was guilty, that guy was so obvious, how can nobody have seen that coming. Even so, the was sure Victoria was a part of this.

"Let me guess, Sweet's Heart."

"Bingo, the man is called Kim Youngwoon, they exchanged around 100 calls in 4 months. I also found out that Yonghwa invested quite a lot in some business in the United States in the name of his child, who is not older than 1 year. He seems to have invested around 150,000$ but there is no traceability, you assume the rest."

"I need tangible proofs."

"I know, I am just giving you an update or an appetizer if you prefer." 

"Oh and, one more thing, Victoria Song is hospitalized in ChungSoom hospital since this night. Apparently a drunk man beated her and she fainted."

His mouth grew wide in shock, he started to feel bad thinking about his behavior earlier. Though Victoria was nowhere to be found in his heart, he still didn't wished anyone this. Not even to his worse ennemy, which in this case was Victoria. He sighed and put a hand on his forehead, he didn't knew what to do. His father had an appointment with her in a few minutes, so he had two choices. First, he tells his father Victoria won't come, his father will somehow ask how he knows this and Changmin could not possibly reveal the truth, especially after their little... Conversation. Second, he don't tell anything and keep it a secret, his father will be disappointed at the moment but he'll somehow, sooner or later find the truth, he will feel bad and he will be even more protective of her. In both case, it wouldn't work on his favor so the choice didn't quite mattered. 

"Don't tell anyone." He hung up the phone, heading slowly toward his office. Suddenly, it felt like his feet were weighting a lot more, he wanted to speed up because he still has work to do and he already lost so much time but he wasn't feeling good. He took a deep breath and entered his office just to find Yunho asleep on the couch. When the door opened, he jumped and took a look at his watch. 

"What are you doing ?" Changmin said as he literally threw himself on his seat. 

"Wasn't it obvious? I was sleeping until you came." He said between two yawns. 

"Something happened ? You look preoccupied." Yunho asked lazily, hoping it was not yet another business deal which failed because of some people being greedy.

"Nothing" Changmin replied absentmindedly, his head hanging low, lost in his thoughts.

"If this has something to do with Victoria, I still think you went a little too far. You basically have no proof she is involved but you still humiliated her in front of her closest coworkers, making her the clown of the company. I hate to say this to you, but your father was right, you can't do this to her or to anybody else for all that matters." Yunho said looking at him, expecting his answer but knowing too well that he will stay on his ground.  He sat up, wondering what happened that he acted so weird. 

"I did what was the best, to set an example. For your information, I don't regret it one second." Changmin said, still conflicted about the issue. He took out his phone from his pocket and dialed Dambi's number. "Tell my father Victoria won't come, she is hospitalized." 

Dambi didn't even got time to say a word that Changmin has already hung up. Yunho, was side listening was taken aback, how would Changmin know that ? As creepy as it sounded, he was quite afraid Changmin has made some calls to a few very unfriendly dudes to help him get ride of his pain but quickly brushed the thought aside, Changmin would never do this. He wanted to ask what was going on, and what that call was about but he knew very well that Changmin would avoid this. And he was right, Changmin sighed and left again, leaving once again Yunho alone in his office.

____________________________________________________________________________

Back the hospital, after an hour or maybe two, Soeun went to see Victoria and Seunghyun was awkwardly standing between them. He tried to leave a few times but either Soeun or Victoria, wouldn’t let him. Though it seemed like Victoria only pretended because whenever he said he would leave, Soeun would elbow not so subtly Victoria and mouth her something, it was then that Victoria insisted that he stayed a little more. They were waiting for the doctor to come and Victoria could leave, after they agreed to have a meal together because the hospital's food was not very... tasty.

“So, Seunghyun, what do you do in life ?” Soeun asked enthusiastically, her eyes were literally shining. Victoria could only assist powerless at the on-going attempt at seduction. She was miserably failing, Soeun was asking all kind of questions non stop, it was so obvious that he answered out of courtesy.

“I work in the music industry, I sometimes rap, sometimes I produce albums and sometimes I am a lyricist.” Soeun looked at him in awe, and he laughed at the sight.

“It’s not that amazing, you know. I am just grateful I do something I like, not many people can say the same.” He continued looking quite proud though. It hasn’t escaped Victoria, but to be honest, she was also impressed. She thought he was something like a model, she admitted he has the looks but she understood why he would be in the music industry. Plus his voice was really y, she made a mental note to herself to later listen to at least one of his song.

“Yes, it is ! You are so cool.” Soeun replied, holding her hands together as if she was praying, she was looking like a little girl in front of her idol.

That’s when the doctor entered the room, it was a young doctor, he was probably in late twenties, early thirties. He had dark brown hair cut very short, a slim face and brown eyes. He was a little bit shorter than Seunghyun but his smile was very contagious.

“Good morning, Miss Song. I am the doctor Byun Yohan.” He said doing the same as the nurse earlier, taking her files and reading it quickly.

“Good morning, doctor.” She replied, being a little bit anxious. She hasn’t recovered her memory yet, all that while she was with Soeun but she was still afraid.

“So, I read that you have concussions, bruises and a broken rib, that’s right ?” He looked up from the files to Victoria, she nodded, not too sure about her response. She was told that’s all she had but she hasn’t really checked it herself. Maybe because of the drugs but she wasn’t feeling all that bad.

“Alright, I will just check a few things.” He said as he turned towards Seunghyun and Soeun.

“If you may wait outside a few minutes.” The both of the immediately got out, leaving Victoria and the doctor alone.

“Do you feel any pain anywhere ? Even if it’s a little bit, tell me.” He said while checking on her bruises. When she shook her head, he continued checking her head.

“You don’t have any headache ?”

“No, nothing. Doctor, I almost feel no pain at all.” She said turning to him, her eyes growing bigger, she was fighting so bad to contain her tears. He looked apologetic and then checked the prescribtion.

“Don’t worry, that’s fine, it’s because of the drugs. We were afraid you would be in too much pain when you woke up.” He said trying to appease her fears, she sighed in relief but right after took a deep breath.

“But… I have a memory loss.” She continued in a shaky voice.
“I don’t remember anything that happened last night.” The doctor looked perplexed, it happened. Victoria was not an isolated case, especially if it happened after a concussion.

“Miss Song, after the shock you had on your head, it happens frequently. When this happens, it mostly is a short time memory loss called amnesia. Some people recalls everything few hours after they wake up, some, days after or months even years. You should not worry, with a lot of rest, you will be fine.” He continued, of course she will have to do some test again but the doctor was confident it was temporary.

“Can I still leave today ?” She asked, almost pleading. This hospital was not doing her any good, she felt even sicker if she were to say it frankly. He lifted up his eyes and smiled.

“You really hate hospital right ahah of course you can, just be careful and like I said earlier, rest a lot. But, I will give a few appointments to check on your memory loss. A nurse will come in maybe ten minutes, you will sign a few papers and then you will be free.” He joked, making Victoria at ease. He was not totally wrong, she kind of hated hospitals, doctors and nurses. He winked at her and left, Seunghyun and Soeun got back in right after.

“I should prepare myself to freedom. I’ll be free soon and then we’ll go eat, I am starving.” She said joyfully getting up from her bed heading to the bathroom. Soeun and Seunghyun looked at each other and laughed, Seunghyun wondered if she had a double personality. One moment she was bitter and aggressive, a second later she all sugar and honey.

“I will go bring the car then.” Seunghyun turned to Soeun who nodded.

“We’ll meet you downstairs then, I’ll call you if we take too long.” Soeun replied, he nodded and left. Leaving a Soeun swimming amongst angels, she managed to get his number while waiting in the corridor, pretending to need his number in case the police needed another witness. She squealed, jumping up and down, it was about time a hottie plus a gentleman combined with a  music lover crossed her path. About ten minutes later, a nurse came bringing Victoria's belonging and a few files, came and left as soon as Victoria signed them. The first thing Victoria did was to take her phone and turns it on, she was walking toward the elevator as she did so, within few seconds, her phone didn’t stop ringing. She got at least twenty calls, as she looked at the numbers, almost half of it were Siwon, and mentally slapped herself. Of course he would be worried, she was about to call him when she read the others calls she got. The other half were from relatives but seven calls were from the company.  The elevator door opened and she got in, wondering why was it that they called,  usually when she didn’t showed up, they called her the day after. She searched through her calendar and gasped in shock when she read that she had an appointment with Mr. Shim. She totally forgot about it, he must be so angry, she knew he hated people who were late. She was not only late, he would totally hate her after this. She turned toward Soeun wishing the elevator would go down faster.

“I have to leave right now, I totally forgot I got a schedule.” Victoria said nervously, the door opened and she was literally running out of the building as fast as she could. Soeun was dumbfounded, but when she realized the situation, Victoria was already jumping in a taxi.

“Yahhh Victoria, are you crazy!!! You literally just got out of the hospital!” Soeun yelled trying to reach her but it was too late. She was desperate, she called Victoria but of course there were no replies, plus she had no idea where she was going. She called Seunghyun but by the time they found each other, they had lost track of Victoria.

A black limo passed by Soeun when she called Seunhyun with tinted glasses. Inside was Changmin, he has called the hospital as soon as he left his office and headed there. It’s not that he wanted to see how Victoria was doing but he just wondered how bad it was that she fainted and got hospitalized.

“Follow that taxi.” Changmin ordered the driver, who did so. He still wasn’t totally convinced she was as white as snow in the whole industrial spying, in the back of his mind, he thought that maybe it was all planned so that she could leave without excuses. After all, Yonghwa is also clean in Korea, she was probably a lot clever than he was. He would get his revenge for sure.

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I am deeply sorry for the late update :( I got really busy those last months and I barely got time to do anything but now I am somehow free, I plan to continue to fanfic. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter 

Here you got you answer for the guy who punched the drunk man, I know some expected Changmin to be the one but he is not. I have some other plan for him in the back of my mind :D