Un

Strange Indifference

It was 8 :30AM when Tiffany took a call from Changmin’s father, usually at this time Changmin would eat his breakfast as it was delivered everyday at the same hour.

After hanging up, she knocked on the door and entered.

“Excuse me to bother you Mr. Shim” She said as she bowed down, interrupting Yunho and Changmin in their conversation.

“Your father called.” She announced as Changmin was stirring his coffee, Yunho lying on the sofa casually. They met eyes before Yunho eyed Changmin furrowing his eyebrows. Both of them were in confusion.

“What is the reason?” Changmin asked anxiously, his father was in Europe, they were supposed to have a Visio conference tomorrow morning.

“There is an emergency meeting at 9:15AM with the board, since he can’t come, there’ll be a video conference.” She said in one breath clearly, she expected his reaction, his jaw was dropped. Tiffany bowed once again and left leaving the two when she was sure he heard the message.

“What happened?” Yunho asked seriously as he sat down.

“I absolutely don’t know.” Changmin was in a confused state of mind, he got up and started walking in circle, he was thinking of any possibility. Changmin took his phone and called his secretary.

“Ask all the team managers to come to my office before the Visio conference start.”

“Alright Mr. Shim” He hung up and took his vest.

“Sorry Yunho” He tapped his friend’s shoulder, Yunho got up and nodded.

“We’ll meet you tonight then.” Yunho understood his friend’s position, today didn’t looked like any other day. He was ready to leave as he took a glance as his expensive watch.

“ I am already late?! Thanks God my father and uncle left for Tokyo yesterday.” Yunho tried to joke as Changmin was so tense.

“You are always late” Changmin replied as he opened the door for Yunho.

“What? No, never” Yunho argued back taking a bite of the cookie left on the table.

“Yunho, we start work at the same hour but you always come with me to have a breakfast, and only then you leave to your company” Changmin laughed as it was a matter of fact, it has always been this way since they both started to work.

“Oh well, you are just saying non sense as usual Changdola.” Yunho shrugged, putting his head to the side as he pouted and left, leaving Changmin all by himself. He went back to his seat and patiently waited for the team managers to come.

 

Few minutes later, six of them were in his office standing in line. All anxious as they didn’t knew why they were all convoked.

“So. You must wonder why I called of you” Changmin started as he eyed them, some nodded.

“I will ask this question only once.” He continued, his sharp glare scared them, they gulped. Amongst the employees and in the company Changmin had the reputation to be very difficult to please and ruthless as he expects the best from anyone. Be the security guards or himself. He don’t tolerate any mistake.

Unlike his father, he was a very respected man, loved by his employees. He gave off the vibe like father.

Changmin had a pencil in hand, the sound of the clock hanging on the wall made the atmosphere even more stressful for the six persons present.

“Has there been any major problem yesterday I don’t know of?”

The employees looked around as if they were waiting for someone to talk but none said anything.

“I’d take this silence as ‘No’” Changmin concluded. He turned in his seat to face the window, from his office he had a beautiful sight of Seoul. At night it was the best, he loved this sight.

“Tiffany, who are the team managers missing?” He asked on the phone, she replied right away.

“Miss Song Victoria and Mr. Lee Junho”

Just hearing her name was enough to make Changmin boil from anger.

“Why isn’t she here!” He asked almost yelling frightening the employees still present.

“On Monday she took 3 days off, she should be back tomorrow”

“About Mr. Lee-” He hang up the phone before Tiffany finished talking, closing his eyes he massaged his temples, head down. He sighed deeply.

“You may leave” As he said those words, the team managers were even more clueless. He waited a few seconds, until he heard the door close again to turn again. His fits were tightly closed, he couldn’t understand what went wrong that his father had to hold an emergency meeting.

 

Just then, Tiffany’s voice woke him up from his daydream.

“Mr. Shim, the visio conference will start in a few minutes.”

He got up taking a deep breath and headed to the conference room followed by Tiffany. As he entered the room, all of the persons present got up and bowed to him, he slightly nodded back.

Whispers filled the room, many fingers were pointed at him, Changmin obviously noticed it but simply chose to ignore it.

 

A tall and young woman headed to the lectern.

“Good morning, I am Son Dambi.” She bowed. Everyone in the room knew who she was, Changmin’s father secretary.

So even Dambi know what is going on, Changmin thought as he listened her.

“Mr. Shim who couldn’t be present with us today, wanted to hold an emergency meeting through a visio conference.” She explained, not a noise could be heard in the room.

“You may not know but the reason why Mr. Shim went to Europe a few weeks ago was to sign a contract with the French cosmetic brand, Sephora to sell our new products. Unfortunately, the contract was canceled due to a possible industrial espionage.” The whole room went noisy, each and everyone gasping in horror at the thought. Some claiming they knew it would happen, while others were making assumptions of the suspect.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please be calm” Dambi quieted the room, further explaining.

“As Mr. Shim wanted to learn the reason to the cancellation, he understood one of our competitors, Sweet Heart’s, proposed the exact same products at a cheaper price than ours.” Changmin gulped, he never knew this contract was a failure, when he talked about this contract with his father he always said he was taking care of it. Of course, he thought it was in a positive way.

“Today, we are sure Sweet Heart’s got all the information concerning ours products from someone within the company. For the rest, I’ll let Mr. Shim continue.” She ended bowing then took the seat next to Changmin. He glared at her as she pretended to smile.

“I am sorry Changmin, your father told me I shouldn’t tell a word to anyone. Not even you.” She apologized, as he continued to glare at her. He couldn’t believe she would hide something so huge from him.

“Listen, we’ll talk later, now too many eyes and ears surround us.”

___________________________________________________

“What?” Changmin literally couldn’t take it.

“This industrial espionage comes from Miss Victoria Song’s team!?” He tried his best to keep his calm, but that news was too… unbelievable. That’ Victoria’? The one his father adores and protect against anyone. Even more than his own son?

“Yahh, she’ll hear from me!” Dambi sighed at the sight of his friend. She didn’t knew if he was furious knowing it’s from her team or relieved he was right to not trust her, unlike his father.

“Calm down Changmin, will you?” Dambi said seeing him all hyper.

 

“We don’t know if it’s her or someone else, that’s why we can’t act harshly.” She explained as she poured a glass of wine.

“You can’t be serious.” He rolled his eyes dumbfounded. He then ignored her and was dancing in an awkward way, throwing his hands here and there.

“Even if it’s not her, she is the team leader for a very clear reason. She also is at fault.” He explained taking a sip of wine.

“I don’t understand why you are all defending her.” He smiled broadly as he sat next to Dambi on the sofa, putting his hand around her shoulder.

“Well, even so, she is a very good employee, this 1,3 million dollars contract is a small number compared to the numerous contracts the company signed thanks to her.” She replied but Changmin wasn’t listening anymore. He was in his own world. She laughed seeing him like this, it’s been a while he has been so joyful.

“Ahh, I should feel bad but thanks to you Dambi, I am full of energy.” He glanced at the watch hanging on the wall.

“By the way where is Yunho? It deserves a celebration.” He lifted his glass in the air and tried forcefully to have a toast with Dambi as she avoided him.

“A celebration? For what?”

“Because we discovered her real self! Obviously” He sighed as he slightly hit Dambi’s forehead.

“Tomorrow afternoon, when the news would be known by anyone, I’ll pay her a visit” He said scheming evilly.

“Oh you are the Devil in person I swear.” Dambi said under her breath.

 

___________________________________________________

 

The heavy steps which resonated in the corridor made them anxious, they were pretending to concentrate on their works but as it got closer, cold sweat were rolling down their faces.

"Director..." A woman who seemed to still be in her teens turned desperately toward Victoria Song. She bited her lips, Victoria herself was stressed, she had only comeback this morning at work but the numerous calls she received last night were enough to stress her. Plus as soon as she arrived at the company this morning, she received a call from Tiffany, Mr. Shim would pass by this afternoon. As the team leader she couldn't let her emotions be seen. She faked a smile shaking her head at the young woman.

"Do not worry, it's not your fault" she said straightening her skirt, all the pair of eyes were on her in search of a sign which could help them read her mind. But it was difficult, Victoria was a master when it comes to hide her emotions. She knew if she let others see she wasn’t confident, they’ll be scared.

The rumor the industrial espionage came from her team is known by anyone by now.

She blankly looked at the door, waiting for it to open and welcome the Executive director.

Few seconds later the door opened, Changmin entered wearing a luxurious dark gray suit, hands in his pocket. He was very handsome, his hair was perfectly brushed to the side. Rumored to be a genius, reason why he is one of the youngest Executive directors of such a big company in the country.

Victoria immediately bowed the moment she saw him, all her team followed right away.

"Mr. Shim"

He didn't paid much attention as he passed past her and took a look around and then sat on an empty chair crossing his legs; his face darkened as he scoffed.

"Care to explain what happened, dear Team leader Song ?"

Her body was tense and she mentally tried to keep calm as her heart was beating so much, worries were haunting her.

"I..."

"You realize that because you have been careless and negligent, the company already lost 1,3 million dollars and it keeps increasing." he added in a stern voice.

She could only apologize and bow. She had done mistakes in the past, after all she isn’t perfect but she would never do such things as industrial espionage.

"I am deeply sorry. As the team leader I'm willing to take responsibilities -" That was what she had to do, no matter what she won’t let her team fall. She knew each of them, they were like a big family.

He sighed and got up walking in circle, she furrowed her eyebrows not understanding what he was doing.  He suddenly stopped in his track and eyed Victoria.

"Responsibilities? Indeed you are a great team manager." He confessed smirking, inside he was loving that situation and made sure each second would pass like hours to her. She was taken aback by his behavior.

"Yes bec-"

"Be honest with me and tell me who's mistake is this." He asked seriously eyeing all of the team members.

She held tight her fists, she couldn’t say anything. Anyway, she didn’t knew the answer, if she did she wouldn’t feel like a fool. Yes, that’s right, each of them was her friend, but she wasn’t dumb. It was someone amongst them.

"It's no one's else fault but mine." She confirmed firmly, annoyed he wouldn't believe her.

"They must really like you. " he as he saw her fuming of anger but obviously holding back her emotions.

"I am wondering if you are also willing to take the blame, even if it means going to jail."

The shock in her face was enough for him to have a proof it wasn't her fault but he noticed the face of a male coworker darken as he bited his nails of stress.

"You may spend some time in jail for this." He added eyeing carefully that man. Victoria was stressed and turned toward the man a few seconds before facing Changmin again.

"That is nonsense. I would never betray the Shim corporation." She said as a matter of fact, she gulped and continued.

“Anyway it’s not like you have proofs, if you did you wouldn’t stand here so presumptuous.” She argued back raising her voice.

 

___________________________________________________

 

Here is the 1st chapter done, I am sorry for the late update but I had to change a few thing since I wasn't very pleased with this chapter.
I hope you have enjoyed this chapter, it's only the beginning ^^ I am sure some of you don't understand why Changmin acts this way toward Victoria, but you'll know it soon.
Stay tuned for the next chapter ~

Thanks for taking the time to read it and feel free to comment