Trois

Strange Indifference

Changmin couldn't mutter a word, this wasn't the first time his father slapped him and to be honest, it would probably not be the last time. But what changed from the previous times it happened, was the reason. Changmin felt like dirt, his own father slapped him because of another father's child. He wondered what he did that was so wrong, has he killed somebody ? He haven't even fired Victoria yet even though he planned on doing so.

His father was still boiling with anger, he hadn't realized his son was not over the shock. 

"Changmin, you listen to my words wisely" He said as poured himself a drink. 

"Just because you are my only son, it don't means you will succeed me. So behave." The tone of his voice was menacing, Changmin could almost hear him smirk. The expression in his eyes was dark despite the wrinkles.

Just then, Dambi knocked and entered. 

"Excuse me Mr. Chairman, but your guest has arrived, he is waiting." She eyed Changmin from the corner of her eyes and left. Changmin's father turned to him and made a move of his head like to tell him to leave. 

Changmin's fists were tight, he wanted to laugh at his father. What was it ? Was it a threat ? A warning ? He couldn't quite get it. Without turning back he left. As soon as he left, Dambi followed him.

"What happened ? Are you okay ?" She has noticed his expression and his cheek was still red. She didn't really needed explanation as it was quite obvious but Changmin wasn't saying a word. He didn't said a word until he entered his office, Dambi was behind him, ready to enter too but Changmin closed the door. She understood he wanted some time alone. 

As he sat on his seat, he turned toward Seoul. At least, the view helped him think. He turned and called Tiffany telling her to cancel all of his appointments for the afternoon. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The day after, it was just another day in the life of a traitor for Victoria, still the same glances and whispers surrounding her. But to her surprise, she got used to this, it wasn't as bothering as the first day. It wasn't to the point it wasn't hurting her name and her pride. But despite everything, she continued to work.
It was past 1PM when her stomach started to growl, she haven't noticed times flied by so fast.She grabbed her coat and her bag wondering where she could go eat. The thought of going to the canteen wasn't very appealing, she could already imagine all the employees avoiding her. The only person she could eat with was only coming back to work in 3 days. There was only one solution left, getting out of the company. It wasn't such a bad idea after all, she would also be able to take a walk outside. She got back to work one hour after, she noticed a few things changed. When she stepped in the company barely anyone looked her way. It looked like someone else became the talk of the town. She headed toward the elevator which was already crowded, there, were two women talking a bit loudly. 

"I know, I know! I heard team leader Kim saying the executive director didn't came to work and Mr. Chairman is furious. He is desesperetly trying to get him back to work." 

"Yah, wasn't it because of team leader Song ? Apparently, Chairman have a soft spot for her."

"What do you mean ? Like, he is cheating on his wife with her ?" As soon as those words got out of , her friend elbowed her and covered .

"Are you nuts! What if someone heard you." They hurriedly headed outside as soon as the door opened, not noticing Victoria who was behind them all the while. 

So that was what was said about her. It wasn't not even a matter of betrayal, but an extramarital relation. Just the thought made her sick, how could people say those kind of things without even thinking about the consequences was a wonder. She had done nothing wrong, why were people so easy to judge. As she headed toward her office, she saw one of her team member in the corner of the corridor talking on the phone. 

"You have to cover me! I did all of this for you yet- What !? You think you would have made the deal without me ? What a joke, if you don't want me to spill the truth you better bring 50,000$." He was trying to be discret but his voice was very loud, Victoria didn't mean to listen but it was suspicious.

"Those idiots don't even suspect me, they all put the blame on Victoria ahah. I kinda feel sorry for her but I guess very few would reject 250,000$. Whaterver, call me when the money transfer is done, then I'll wait a few months and leave for the USA just like we agreed." He was smirking all the while, was it really that funny. He hang up the phone and started whistling, the sound of it resounded in the corridor. Fearing he might have seen her, she quickly hide behind a wall, when she heard him enter the office. The first thing she did was checking if there was any CCTV in the corridor, but just like she thought there was nothing in the corner Yonghwa was. She tried to figure out how she could prove Yonghwa was involved, but first she needed more evidence. It's not like she could ask Yonghwa what it was about, or asking him any explanation. There was someone who might help her, she headed on the rooftop and dialed Siwon's number.

"Oh Victoria, how are you ?"

"Siwon, I think I have a lead about the spy. I know at least one person involved!"

"What ? How did you...?'

"I have heard a conversation and that person was talking about money, a huge sum, and that he will leave for the USA and how no one was suspecting him. That they were stupid for immediatly thinking it is me the culprit."

"Wow, it's a good thing! Have you recorded the conversation or something ?" 

At the question she sighed and mentally slapped herself for not doing so. She had the evidence in front of her eyes, yet she did nothing. From the other side of the line, Siwon heard her sighs and he immediatly guessed she didn't.

"That's why I'm calling you. I didn't recorded it and there is no CCTV. I don't know what I can do to prove my innocence."

"Well, it's quite complicated as you must have have proof that that person is involved. Even if he leave in a few months, it would means nothing. There are plenty of employees who resign in order to live abroad. If the conversation is on the phone, the best thing to do is to get his phone record. Then trying to check who was the person he was talking to. If it's someone working for the company Sweet Heart's, it would already be decisive. Plus you said he got a huge sum of money, right ?"

"Yes, he was talking about 250,000$. But, he said he wanted more, 50,000$ and that he should get it quickly, otherwise he'll reveal the truth."

"Then, there is no way he would have hide so much money at home, it's likely that it was transfered to his bank account. First, Victoria go the chairman and tell him what you heard. I don't know if an investigation is already launched but if they know who is the culprit, it might end quickly and don't tell anyone. I will see what I can do."

"Alright, I will do as you say. Siwon, you know I love you." She was almost tearing as she said those words. Siwon laughed and replied.

"Yah, why are you crying. Don't worry, everything will be fine. I'll call you when I have some news" He then hanged up. Siwon was right, it was just a matter of time before the truth get revealed and then everyone who doubted her will awfully regret it. Especially that jerk of Shim Changmin, how could he humiliate her in front of her team, he made her the talk of the town. She was determined and went to the chairman's office. Son Dambi's was there, she saw Victoria coming from the corner but pretended to not have seen her. Then Victoria walked in. 

"How may I help you ?" She asked her as she was typing on her computer.

"Is the Chairman here ?" Victoria nervously asked.

"Do you have an appointment ?" 

"No..."

"Then, I'm sorry but Mr. Chairman won't receive you unless you have one."

"In that case, give me appointment. It's important."

"For what purpose ?" Dambi wasn't supposed to know the reason, but there was obviously something going on. For the few years Victoria have worked here, she never once came to the chairman's office.

"I can't tell." Dambi furrowed her eyes, there was definitely something. Victoria was very nervous, glancing around as if she was afraid she might have been caught red handed. Then the thought hit her, could it be she will admit to have been spying ?

"Well, please come to his office tomorrow at 9:30AM. I will tell Mr. Chairman about it." 

"Thank you" Victoria glanced a last time around and left. Leaving Dambi perplexed, she took her phone and send Changmin a text.

"You better come to work tomorrow, Victoria made an appointment with your father."

 

All day long, Changmin's phone wouldn't stop ringing but he didn't answered to any message or call. He knew he shouldn't behave like this but he tought it was unfair  He had his reasons for acting this way, he firmly believed Victoria was involved. Though, he noticed one person acting weird when he went to see her, maybe the two worked together and schemed this. He took his phone and dialed a number.

"Detective Park, it's Shim Changmin, I have a mission for you, you must keep this secret and not tell anyone."

"What is it about"

"You must investigate two persons" He said as he took the files on the table.

"Victoria Song and Jung Yonghwa, I want everything you can find which involve the industrial espionage. Check their phones, emails, bank account, everything."

"I'll come back to you when it's done." He hanged the phone and saw Dambi's text. As he was reading the text, the room was filled with laughter.

"So what, after claiming she is innocent, she finally want to admit it. I guess she heard about what happened between me and father and now she knows he is on her side, she's gonna ask for forgiveness." 

He replied to her text while smirking.

"Tell her to come at 9AM, I'll welcome her before my father comes."  That was an occasion he couldn't miss, if she had something to say, she will tells him.

It was past 9PM when Victoria left the company, a little bit earlier she received a call from Soeun, a friend she met in college. She asked her to get a drink together since it has been a while they didn't met. She was already tired, but she drinks alcohol well and from time to time, it wouldn't hurt. Soeun was already there when she entered the bar. She was sitting at the counter, and she wasn't alone. It seemed like she had company. Victoria headed there, back hugging Soeun, who jumped on her. It has been few months they haven't seen each other. After graduating, they still tried to keep in touch but it was difficult. 

"Victoria, I've missed you." She said with a full smile.

"I've missed you more! How have you been ?"

"So,so, you know me. Life sure is a rollercoaster. And you ?"

"Let's not talk about me tonight, let's just have fun" Victoria finished her sentence when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Excuse me, Miss, don't you know it's rude to cut someone who is speaking." She saw them talking earlier but it was quite obvious Soeun didn't wanted to. Victoria eyed Soeun who was biting her lips and she then turned to the man.

"You are right and I am sorry. Now if you may excuse us."  Victoria was ready to leave followed by Soeun but the man grabbed her arm making Victoria face him.

"What is it that you want, let me go or I'll call the police." Instead his grip was stronger, it was hurting her. She tried to take his hand off but he just wouldn't. Soeun tried to help but he pushed her against the counter.

"You know what I hate the most, this is women like you who act all high and mighty. So what you are going to do now." The smell of the alcohol was digusting, Victoria still tried to take his hand off and helping Soeun but she couldn't. She tightened her fists and slapped him

"Let me go!" His cheek turned red but he laughed and violently punched her. The few persons in the bar were silent, they all watched in terror, while Victoria crashed on one of the chair. But the man didn't stopped there, he grabbed her and continued to kick her, Soeun was desesperatly trying to take him off. One of the bairman, tried to grab the man but he was too frail. Victoria was lying on the floor, her eyelids were getting heavier, she suddenly felt very sleepy. Two other barmen were trying to stop him, but they couldn't. He was determined to get it done with Victoria, and ce again to punch her. Some women were calling the police but he didn't care. The last thing Victoria saw was the man getting punched and falling on the floor. 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Thanks to everyone for the support ^^ I am happy you like my fanfic, and I am sorry about the late update. I am already working on the next chapter, I hope you will like it.