9

what is infinite

            Woohyun closed his eyes and layed on Sungyeol’s shoulder. Today, he held onto Sungyeol’s arm as well, almost cuddling with it in the car, the events of the night before disappearing far from his mind. He was paler than before and that was all that mattered to him.

            He snuggled his head on Sungyeol’s shoulder area, trying to get as comfortable as he could. He did this pretty often, especially now that he and Sungyeol were back on good terms. He was glad that Sungyeol had forgotten that day in the practice room. The good thing about Sungyeol was that he forgot things easily; however, that was also one of the bad things about him.

***

            Today Sungyeol forgot to put on his ring. Sungyeol looked down at his fingers and fidgeted. He felt without the ring.

Would he perform as well? What if he misses a note? Will practice go as good today? What if he says something he wasn’t supposed to during an interview?

            As Sungyeol felt Woohyun and Myungsoo cuddle at both of his sides, he took deep, slow breaths. He hoped today would be okay.

            He just felt so empty without the ring Myungsoo gave him, and he just didn’t know what he would do if something were to do wrong today. He could just feel an ominous feeling in the air and he hated it.

***

            Myungsoo had snuggled closer to Sungyeol when he noticed Sungyeol fidgeting with his fingers. He was a little shocked to not see his ring on Sungyeol’s fingers.

            He forgot about it right? He didn’t leave it at home on purpose right? He didn’t lose it right?

            He can’t be tired of me already right?

            Myungsoo glanced up at Sungyeol, who wasn’t looking back at him, and he wrapped his arm around Sungyeol’s waist and hugged him closer.

            I don’t want to lose you Sungyeol. Tell me that you just forgot the ring. Tell me that you’re just fidgeting because you forgot it and not because you’re uncomfortable with me.

***

            Sungyeol felt Myungsoo’s arms tighten around him, and he couldn’t help but slightly stiffen under his touch. It was early in the morning and there was only so much skin ship he could take. With Woohyun holding onto his arm on one side, and Myungsoo hugging him on the other side, he felt like he couldn’t breathe properly. The fact that he left his ring at home didn’t help either, and he just felt suffocated.

            He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, remembering to relax and breathe slowly. Everything is going to be okay. Everything is going to be okay…

            But he still had that ominous feeling, and of course something happened that day.

            Sunggyu was yelling at him. He was yelling at him again.

            “Why did you let this get out? What’s wrong with you today?! You’ve been messing up on the choreography during rehearsals, your voice has been cracking, you couldn’t keep still during the interviews, and now there’s a rumor going around that you starved yourself?”

            Sunggyu was never this angry before. He was filled with rage. He couldn’t believe it. He still didn’t get a response from the younger. He just sighed and continued to chide him, the anger fueling the words he spat out.

            “You’ve been so childish and stupid. How could you let this get out?! Don’t you care about Infinite at all? What do you think people think of us now?!” Sunggyu yelled, raising his hands into the air.

            Sungyeol’s guilty expression suddenly changed, and “childish” was the word that made him snap.

            “Is that all you care about? That people are scrutinizing our group because they found out that I starved myself again? Don’t you even care about me?!” he yelled.

            His response made Sunggyu scoff, “Sungyeol, you’re such a kid. Stop caring only about yourself. Think about the rest of the members for once.”

            Sungyeol walked up towards the elder, anger blazing in his eyes. Sunggyu had no right to accuse him of not thinking about s.

            “I was so thinking about the members! I wanted to better myself and make Infinite seem more better looking! I wanted to stop being so useless! You can’t just tell me what I am and am not doing!”

            “Then you shouldn’t have done it this way and let the news get out! Why would you even admit to that?! Are you out of your mind Sungyeol?! You need to grow up and realize that there are consequences to your words and actions!”

            With that, Sunggyu threw his hands up in the air out of frustration and left the room. He didn’t want to look at Sungyeol anymore. He was angry and he knew that staying there would just make things worse.

***

            The members were all silent as they sat in the living room. They had all heard the scolding that Sunggyu gave to Sungyeol, even though they were in their room, and the terrible feeling in their hearts made them all leave their rooms and enter the living room to where the space was more open and less frightening.

            When Sunggyu opened the door to the living room, everyone stood up anxiously. Sunggyu ran his fingers through his hair and picked up his jacket.

            “Sunggyu, where are you going?” Dongwoo asked, worried.

            “Recording,” he grumbled, storming out of the dorm.

            The rest of the members just looked at each other, and they could hear the soft sobs that came from Sungyeol’s room.

***

            Woohyun looked down at the ground, pressing his foot against the floor. He didn’t even dare look at Sunggyu when the elder had stormed out of the dorm.

            Sungyeol had starved himself and Woohyun didn’t like it. Even though he knew that Sungyeol had stopped starving himself now, the fact that he had starved himself was what made Woohyun mad. He didn’t like it at all.

            Although Woohyun has been doing it himself, he didn’t want Sungyeol to do it.

            Woohyun thought Sungyeol was perfect. Sungyeol was perfect the way he was in Woohyun’s mind, and he thought there was no reason at all for Sungyeol to starve himself.

            Unlike Sungyeol though, Woohyun would always have a reason.

            Woohyun had always been a little jealous of Sungyeol.

He suddenly stood up and walked to the bathroom. The other members didn’t even look up. They all were busy thinking about what to do with Sungyeol, who was still crying in his room. Woohyun wasn’t the important one right now.

            Woohyun stared at the mirror and started to cry as well, knowing that it would just blend in with Sungyeol’s sobs.

            He doesn’t have abs, but he still has a bunch of fans that love that.

            Woohyun looked down at his stomach.

            If I didn’t have my abs, I’d be nothing. I wouldn’t even have fans.

            He lets his tears fall again as he sat in front of the toilet and pushed his finger against his tongue and down his throat.

***

            In the other room, Sungyeol sniffed. He was tired of crying, and he was tired of yelling at Sunggyu and not having a regular member-to-member relationship.

            It was starting to get late, and Sunggyu still hadn’t come home yet. The other members that had come in to try and console him told him that Sunggyu went to record for his second solo album, and it just made Sungyeol feel even more inferior. But at least he knew where Sunggyu was now. Maybe that was all that mattered.