13

what is infinite

            Woohyun stood behind Sungyeol and escorted him to his room. He passed through the room that Sungyeol shared with Sunggyu and Myungsoo quickly, not wanting to cause Sungyeol to break down again. Just by looking at Sungyeol shake in his hands, he could tell that he needed to be extra careful with the younger. Walking past Myungsoo, Woohyun wondered if the visual was still awake. Myungsoo probably wasn’t sleeping, considering Sungyeol was in such distress, but when Woohyun heard steady breathing from figure on the bed, he assumed that Myungsoo must’ve been asleep.

            However when he got to the front of his room door, he heard a little whimper from Myungsoo. He glanced back and saw him frown slightly with his eyes closed. Myungsoo then turned around in his bed, now facing the wall. Woohyun watched as Myungsoo pulled his covers closer to his face and then sigh softly as he was comfortable again.

            Woohyun looked away and glanced back at Sungyeol, who was staring at Woohyun’s door like it was an escape passage. He tried giving the younger a smile, but with the depressing look on Sungyeol’s face, he wasn’t sure whether he could actually smile or not.

            It seems like everyone’s having nightmares tonight.

            Later that night, Sunggyu walked into the dorm to see Dongwoo there waiting for him. He knew that Dongwoo would never be able to sleep knowing that the members were having big problems, so it wasn’t a surprise to him that the rapper was awake.

            Oh if only he knew how big the problem actually was, Sunggyu thought to himself. He wasn’t even sure if he wanted to tell the younger about what had exactly happened. Sunggyu was still in shock himself.

            In the other side of the dorm, Woohyun closed the door to his room and sat Sungyeol down on his bed. It was very dark considering that there were no windows, but Woohyun was already used to it. He leaned over; his eyes already adjusted to the dark, and plugged in his lamp. A little light soon illuminated the room, allowing Woohyun to see Sungyeol’s face again. He was a little surprised by what he saw; Sungyeol’s eyes looked so empty.

            Woohyun sat on the bed with Sungyeol and wrapped his arms around him, leading Sungyeol’s head to lean on his left shoulder. It was then that Sungyeol had finally woken up from his daze. Instead of resting his head on Woohyun’s shoulder, Sungyeol hugged Woohyun closer to himself and cried onto Woohyun’s chest.

            The sobs vibrated against Woohyun’s heart and it filled his mind. Sungyeol sounded so broken—more than he had ever sounded before.

            What exactly happened?

***

            The next morning, Infinite had to wake up early again, and it was one of those mornings where no one wanted to wake up. Woohyun opened his eyes to find Hoya in front of him, and when he attempted to sit up in his bed, he was strangely held down by a weight. He looked down and remembered that Sungyeol had gone to sleep hugging him the night before, and his heart ached when he felt the dampness of his t-shirt, remembering that his t-shirt was Sungyeol’s makeshift tissue for the night.

            Woohyun looked at Hoya and nodded. Despite his dreariness, he knew that he had to wake up Sungyeol and get ready. He knew that Sunggyu didn’t come in to wake him like usual because he still hadn’t fixed what was wrong with him and Sungyeol. There was nothing more the members could do now. They had even left the two alone and look what had happened. There was nothing left to do now but wait.

            He glanced down at the sleeping Sungyeol currently resting on his lap. He reached down, softly shaking Sungyeol’s shoulder to wake him up.

            There was no movement from the younger, surprising Woohyun since Sungyeol hadn’t even woken up when Hoya had come in. Sungyeol was usually such a light sleeper. He definitely would’ve been up from Woohyun shaking him.

            He must’ve been so tired, Woohyun thought worriedly.

            “Sungyeol,” he whispered, “Wake up, we have to get ready.”

            He had his hand on Sungyeol’s shoulder and shook a little harder. Oddly enough, Sungyeol still didn’t open his eyes or stir from Woohyun’s administrations. Woohyun sat on his bed, staring at Sungyeol.

            Woohyun knew that if he didn’t wake up Sungyeol soon, they would be late to the salon and there’d be even more tension between the members. Sunggyu was also someone who hated being late and they definitely didn’t need an angry Sunggyu again. He shook Sungyeol’s shoulder again, hoping that he wouldn’t have to do anymore to wake Sungyeol up. He didn’t want to shock Sungyeol by shaking his shoulder too hard, and he didn’t want to have to hit the poor guy to wake him up.

            Luckily, Sungyeol’s eyes started to flutter, and they finally opened.

            Woohyun saw a flash of surprise and disappointment in Sungyeol’s eyes, and he suddenly felt sad again.

            He was expecting to see Sunggyu. Even though those two are obviously not okay, he still was hoping for Sunggyu to be the one to wake him up.

            But he got me instead.

            Sungyeol moved himself off of Woohyun’s body and sat in his bed. His eyes were dreary, and Woohyun knew for sure that Sungyeol was still very tired. The younger ran his fingers through his hair and tried to give Woohyun a smile. His bangs covered one of his eyes, and Woohyun thought that Sungyeol looked so handsome.

            Woohyun feigned a smile and patted Sungyeol’s knee.

            “Come on, we have to go get ready.”

            Meanwhile, Sunggyu walked around the dorm with his clothes on, ready to leave the dorm. His eyes were a little red, and he had dark circles under them, but at this point he really didn’t care. He hadn’t slept the night before—at all. He just couldn’t. Dongwoo tried to figure out what was wrong, but Sunggyu just couldn’t bring himself to say what had happened.

            “It was nothing. We just had another fight. We’ll work it out soon.”

            Sunggyu looked at his watch and then back at the door of his room. Woohyun and Sungyeol still hadn’t come out yet.

            He took a deep breath, calming himself down. He promised himself that he wouldn’t get mad again. All he wanted was for him and Sungyeol to be ok again.

            In the car, everyone was very quiet, and this time, it wasn’t because they were sleepy.

            Sunggyu sat in the front like usual, a little relieved that he could sit there and not in the back with Sungyeol. He still had no idea what to say to the younger, despite wanting to fix things.

            He looked at the rear view mirror and stared at the other members.

            Myungsoo was staring at Sungyeol, who was sitting next to him and Woohyun. It looked like the visual was holding onto Sungyeol’s arm very tightly. He looked like he was worried about losing him. Myungsoo looked like that lately, and Sunggyu didn’t know what to say about that. Woohyun, on the other hand, wasn’t looking at Sungyeol at all. He was staring out the window, but the weird thing was that he had Sungyeol’s hand in his. It sparked something in Sunggyu’s chest, but he ignored the feeling and changed his train of thought.

            He then forced himself to look over from Woohyun to look at Sungyeol’s reflection in the rear view mirror. He didn’t want to look directly at the younger yet. He still didn’t know what he would do if Sungyeol were to bring up last night.

But when he looked up at the rear view mirror, he saw Sungyeol’s eyes looking straight at him.

            Sunggyu immediately looked away, looking down at his lap and fidgeting his fingers together.

            Did he know I was watching?

***

            Sungyeol felt hurt when he noticed Sunggyu looking away once he had caught his eye. He suddenly felt guilty and longed to feel the leader’s eyes on him again.

            Is Sunggyu ashamed of me? Sungyeol thought, I’m such an idiot. I ruined everything…

            Myungsoo’s grasp on his arm was starting to hurt, but Sungyeol didn’t feel like telling Myungsoo to loosen up. He didn’t even feel like talking. He glanced down at his hand, a small smile coming across his face.

            At least I remembered to wear my ring today.

            Looking down at his other hand, he slowly rubbed his thumb on the side of Woohyun’s hand. He felt Woohyun stiffen up a little, and when he looked up, he saw Woohyun turn from the window to look back at him with a little shock on his face.

            Sungyeol just gave a fake smile, and he felt Woohyun hold his hand just a little more tightly. He was glad that Woohyun had taken his hand when they first got into the car. Sungyeol was starting to feel the empty feeling he had felt the night before when he had cried, and he found that being near Woohyun helped remind him that he was still here—he was still a part of Infinite. He didn’t really know why he had started to rub his thumb against the back of Woohyun’s hand, but it was so comforting he didn’t really want to stop.

            Myungsoo’s touch helped a little too, but Myungsoo hadn’t really talked to him this morning. Myungsoo wasn’t really someone to talk so early, and Sungyeol knew that. He usually got more talkative after they finished their session at the salon.

            Sungyeol closed his eyes and laid his head on Woohyun’s shoulder, slightly shifting Myungsoo so that he was now resting his head on his shoulder. He found that he liked lying against Woohyun. His breathing and heartbeat calmed him for some strange reason, and it just felt good. He smiled as sleep finally overtook him again, and he hoped that he wouldn’t have to wake up any time soon.