Chapter Two~

A Tale of Two Cliques

A Tale of Two Cliques - Chapter Two

 

Minhae's P.O.V

 

 

  The weekend was pretty long. And unusual. I usually go out shopping or something with Sumin but I guess not this weekend. I didn't bother to text her since I figured I needed some sort of break for a while. I spent most of my weekend reading this new book I recently bought, and also studying. It wasn't boring but it wasn't fun. I was mostly emotionless this whole weekend...

  It was Monday and I was not ready to go to school. I never really had this hollow feeling in my stomach, but now I did. I felt as if I could puke right now. I buttoned my shirt, slipped on my blazer and skirt. I tied my hair in a quick high bun, grabbed my bag and headed out. I lived far from school, so why not take my bike. I needed exercise. I'm almost always stuffing junk food on my face every day.

  I reached school and locked my bike in one of the bike ramps. I paced into school, hearing the bell ring.

  I know that my first period right now, it was a language class I had Chanyeol. Hopeful I'll have a chance to talk to him or something. Maybe I'll look at him a couple times until he looks; I'll smile when we make eye contact. Then after class I'll pass by him and say hi. Gladly I don't have Sumin in that class...

  I entered the room and sat at my usual desk, nearly in the middle of the room. Chanyeol actually sat two seats next to me. I watched him as I sat down. He was really tall, even looked tall sitting down. He had curly beachy wavy hair that was this caramel auburn. His eyes were a simple brown. He wasn't that bad looking, but he was just weird. Definitely not boyfriend material.

  "Good morning students. I have an assignment I will give you, you will have partners. You may choose your partners." Our teacher said as she wrote the assignment rules on the board. I darted my eyes towards Chanyeol. It'll be a perfect time! I can ask him to be my partner and try to know him more!

  I stood up and started walking, but soon I was stopped a girl. I realized this girl was a friend of mine. "Oh, uhm hi..." I said as I leaned a bit to look at Chanyeol who was talking to his friend. Dammit. He was partners with someone...

  "Hi Minhae-Unni!" She jittered a bit excitedly. It reminded me, she was really happy all the time. I already knew she was going to ask me to be her partner.  

  "Unni?"

  "Yes Jinya?" Her name was Kim Jinya. A bit catchy.

  "Would you be my partner please?" She begged with pleading eyes.

  I sighed happily and smiled. "Why not?"

  She went to get the assignment and then came back. We started immediately. Truth is, I couldn't help myself from glancing at Chanyeol every couple minutes. I stopped doing this when his friend caught me. His friend started smirking at me and then turned to Chanyeol; soon Chanyeol was the one glancing at me. I have to stop thinking about this boy so much, I don't like him. For sure I was not happy that I couldn't have a chance to talk to Chanyeol, but I was a bit happy in a way too. For starters, I didn't have to feel so short next to him.

 

  It felt like years until the dismissal bell rung. The day was quite peaceful, thank goodness. Except it was raining. Suddenly my peaceful day was clouded up and wet. I went to the bike racks and tried to take out my key frantically. I collected nothing but lint in both of my blazer's pockets. Wow, could my day get any worse? Walk home alone in the rain. I couldn't take the bus because it left at 3 and it was already 5 minutes past 3. I walked with my head down as my hair and clothing got soaked. I couldn't believe this was happening. I had no umbrella or anything to cover myself. I was literally begging for a cold right now. Although I was popular, at times like this you find out who your true friends are. Sadly, I had none.

  In the matter of time, I bumped into a solid figure, causing me to fall to the floor and scrape my elbow. I whimpered and held my elbow, not bothering to look up. I suddenly bursted into tears, I don't know why; but I did. It flowed out silently.

  "Are you okay? I'm so sorry! I didn't see you..." A deep, raspy voice apologized. I looked up, and from the way he reacted when I looked up I probably looked like a hurt child with red eyes. He stepped forward and knelt down on one knee. I couldn't shape out who it was; my vision was blurry from my tears and the rain. I couldn't speak, I felt like my stomach was up to my throat; and it was causing me to not talk. "Jesus! You're bleeding, your eyes are grogg- are you crying? Oh Jesus no, did I make a girl cry?" He kept muttering and cursing at himself. The only thing I managed to choke out was "No, I'm fine.” I got up too, and started walking, wiping my tears. What had gotten into me? Crying in front of someone.

  I felt a little voice tell me he was going to chase after me, and that's exactly what happened. He grabbed me by the shoulder and span me around. I recognized those auburn locks, now auburn hair plastered into his forehead from being wet. It was Chanyeol, for once there weren't any crinkles in his eyes, and instead he had a stern look into his eyes. "I can't just leave you walk alone in the rain like this. You're practically in tears and bleeding. Please come to my home, I can cure you." He smiled gently.

  I couldn't let the offer go, it wasn't like he was a or anything. Plus, I was meaning to talk to him. It could be the perfect chance to become friends. I quickly nodded yes. "Yeah..."

  He quickly took out a small umbrella from his book bag and opened it. He smiled and got under it and brought me closer. I felt so awkward around him, I barely felt like this. It wasn't even awkward. I felt like I was back in the sixth grade and my crush just made eye contact. This guy isn't and will never be my crush.

  After a short walk, I was at a small looking apartment. It was about 6 stories tall; it was a gray color with white borders and windows. It was cozy looking, but it looked old. He opened the front door which led to the lobby, which was very nice and small. It had a waiting room the left and the counter on the right, with the elevator to the far back. He pushed the button on the third floor and we entered the elevator. After, we entered a narrow hallway. It had velvet walls and white carpeting with old lights on the wall, barely illuminating the halls.

  We walked to a nearby door, he obviously had a hard time getting his keys out and opening the door. I was ready enough to just leave and walk in the rain myself, but I had to do this. I hated two things, losing and breaking promises. He finally opened the door and the lights, it also barely illuminated the apartment.

  "It's just me here since my parents couldn't afford to fully move to Seoul." He smiled hopelessly. I entered and wrapped my arms together. "Really? Where are you from?" I asked as I looked around. It was so small. There was a kitchen to the right, which was very small. It was a white tiled floor with black counters and granite countertops. The kitchen was really tiny; barely two people could fit in there cooking. The sink was full of dishes, the stove was outdated. All of the appliances were outdated. To the left, there was a small space for a rounded table with four seats in it, I suppose it was a dining table. But it was filled with a bunch of books and papers; I bet it hasn’t even been used as a dining table in months.

  To the middle there was a small space that was currently the living room. It was a comfy looking three-person couch and a loveseat on right of it, in front was a flat screen though, probably the latest thing in the whole apartment. It had a wooden coffee table in the middle that had a cup in the middle. Nearby the TV, was a mess of wires and game consoles everywhere, neighbored with soda cans and chips. I could already picture how much of a mess his bedroom must be.

  He entered and closed the door. "Actually they live in Suwon."

  "Ah, it's a nice city there. My grandma lives there."

  "Yeah?"

  "Mhm."

  "Ah... Oh I forgot." He ran into a hallway then came out after a while. He came out with towels and a first aid kit. I wondered what was the first aid kit was for, but then I remembered it was for my scrapped elbow. I forgot all about the stinging on my elbow.

  "Sit. Please." He smiled and gestured to the living area, I did as I was told. Chanyeol sat next to me and lifted my elbow, he touched nearby where I got hurt and it sent a stinging sensation, making me jump and gasp at the stinging.

  "Sorry..." He blushed shyly. "It was an accident." He put some Neosporin gently and placed a band aid on top. He then wrapped a towel around me. I smiled slyly. "You didn't really have to do that; I could've done it my own." I held tight to my towel. "I can't just bump into someone and leave them bleeding." He tilted his head. I chuckled. "Okay, I guess not."

Chanyeol's P.O.V

 

 

  I finished curing Minhae with placing a band aid on her elbow, then I wrapped the towel around her. She smiled innocently and spoke. She said how I didn't need to do all that. Of course, I didn't mind. Plus if I wanted to get close to her, I had to do things like that. I've never really talked to her but she seemed nice. I asked myself if this was all just an act, but she really was nice. Although I felt so uncomfortable her for some reason...

  "So you said your parents are in Suwon?" She said suddenly. I snapped out of my trance and nodded. "Then you must be from there too?" She smiled softly. I did a weird face. "Well, sort of. I moved there when I was 5. And I moved back myself to Seoul when I started high school. It's a pretty expensive school and I got half a scholarship to this school, I couldn't let it go." I smiled.

  "Ah. You must be pretty smart then." She chuckled and looked down.

  "Where are your parents?" I asked sitting a bit closer and resting my elbow on my knee. She seemed to clench her teeth but then let go. Maybe I shouldn't have said much.

  "Actually my dad died when I was in the seventh grade. So I live with my mom and her boyfriend now. But my mom's always on business trips and she brings her boyfriend along. So it's really just me and my butler." She nodded at me. Maybe I shouldn't have asked.

  "Oh... Sorry... About your loss." I scratched my neck. She smiled and placed her hand on my knee. "It's fine. You didn't know." She gave me an eye smile. I blushed red and hid my smile, pushing her hand away. I could feel her looking at me surprised. I don't even know what I just did. I got so nervous I pushed her hand away; I'm never going to get her to date me.

  I looked up. "Sorry... I just got surprised. I didn't mean to do that." She looked away quickly and stood up. "Maybe I should leave..."

  "No... Don’t leave. I mean- it’s raining outside." I glanced at the kitchen. "I could make you something to eat. Please don't be mad." I stood up, looking down at her. She was so short and petite... I just wanted to squish her. She looked up at me; she was only up to my shoulders. I smiled warmly. Minhae seemed to want to smile when I said food. "Okay... I'll stay. If you let me cook." She nodded to the kitchen. I let out a sigh. "We can cook together."

  "No I want to cook~"

  "Well you can teach me."

  She finally rolled her eyes. "Fine fine."

  And with that she went to the kitchen, and I followed.