Part of the past

The little moments

Eli had invited Soohyun an hour before everyone else. He wanted to be sure that he got to meet and talk to Jia. After Soohyun had told him about her he found out that he actually had a few of her books. He had also been to one of her book signings with a former girlfriend. Eli remembered that she was quite good looking when he last saw her, so he was excited to see her again. He heard the doorbell ring. “That must be them!” He clapped his hands together and went out to open the door.

Soohyun was holding Jia’s hand in a tight grip as they were standing outside the front door. Soohyun saw Jia swallow hard before she let out a deep breath. “Don’t worry. He won’t kill you, or at least I don’t think he will.” Soohyun gave her a teasing smile. Jia gave him an annoyed look and frowned. Soohyun light chuckled. He then turned his attention to the front door, which was opening slowly. Jia looked up as well, only to see a face that she was sure she had seen before. His blond hair that was stilled into a mohawk and the deep y eyes. She remembered someone looking like him at a book signing once, but she was not quite sure. “Soohyun, ma man!” Eli exclaimed while pulling Soohyun into a manly hug. “Glad you could make it.” He gave Soohyun a smooth smile. “Wouldn’t miss it for anything.” Soohyun said while taking Jia’s hand once again. “Oh and who do we have here? Can this be the famous Jia Williams?” Eli gave Jia a breathtaking smile and winked at her. Jia slightly blushed at his actions. “Hello.” She shyly said while extending her hand, so they could proper greet each other. Eli took her hand against his mouth and gave it a light kiss. “I’m Eli Kim. Dare I say, you look really beautiful this evening Miss.” Jia’s blush grew even darker and she shyly took her hand back. She took a step closer to Soohyun for safety. “Hey! You promised not to make feel uncomfortable.” Soohyun said while slapping his friend on the shoulder. “What? That’s the proper way to greet a lady.” Eli reviled a smirk. ”And you can’t deny that she looks amazing.” He looked over at Soohyun. “No I can’t deny that, she looks absolutely perfect.” Soohyun said, while taking Jia’s hand into another tight grip and giving her a warm smile. Jia started to fittle with her earlobe, just as every time she gets utterly nervous. “Would you like to come inside, so we can get to know each other?” Eli asked while stepping away from the door so they could enter, smiling brightly at Jia, as she shyly smiled back.

All three of them were sitting in the living room, small talking. “I remember you.” Jia suddenly said. “You were at my book signing a few weeks back. The boyfriend to one of my more loyal fans.” Jia titled her head and studied Eli expression, to make sure she wasn’t completely off. Eli smiled at her. “Ex-boyfriend.” He calmly said. “Oh… I’m sorry I didn’t mean to..” Jia was cut off by Eli who raised his hand, waving while shaking his head. “You couldn’t have known.” He gently smiled at her. She gave an apologetic look. “Well..” Eli started. “You can always make it up to me.” He gave a sneaky smile. “Uhm… Sure, what did you have in mind?” Jia answered nervously. Eli tapped his chin as if he was thinking, but he knew exactly what he wanted. “Answer every question I give you, completely truthfully.” Jia looked relived. She thought it would be something more of a challenge. “I can do that.” Eli smirked. “No matter what?” He raised his eyebrow at her. Jia was silent for a couple of seconds. “Yes, no matter what.” She sat straight up to show she was ready for Eli’s questions. Soohyun who was sitting next to Eli felt uneasy at this deal. He knew Eli all too well and there was no doubt that his questions would make Jia uncomfortable, one way or another.

“DUDE, WHAT THE HECK!?” Soohyun yelled out. Jia was sitting with an extremely flustered face. “Oh c’mon..” Eli said. “You want to know it too!” Soohyun looked away, not wanting to admit that he also would like to know the answer. “Please say no… I want her to say no, then there will be a chance for..” Soohyun thoughts got stopped when Eli gave Jia his question again. “So Jia, are you a ?” Jia started to fittle with her earlobe. “I… Uhm…” She looked down to her lap. “Yes. Yes I am.” Jia shifted in her seat. She looked over at Soohyun from across the couch. She wanted to see his reaction to this. “Does he find me unattractive now? Maybe he likes mature women more? Please don’t..” Jia could see a small smile form on Soohyun’s lips. She took it as a good sign. Soohyun noticed Jia looking at him, so he met her gaze. Soohyun’s intense stare made it shiver down Jia’s spine. She could feel herself getting hot. Eli was just sitting and silently looking at them. “How come she has this effect on him? He never looked at a woman that way, not even Dongho’s mother.” Eli was determent to find out what his best friend saw in this young woman.

The hour passed quickly and Eli’s guests started to arrive. Jia was standing silently next to Soohyun, who happily greeted his old schoolmates and friends. Once in a while some of them would greet her as well. Some even recognized her from her books. Suddenly Jia heard a voice, a voice she was very familiar with. She looked around the room to search for that person. Soohyun saw her searching eyes. “Is everything okay?” Soohyun looked down at her. “I just thought I heard… Never mind.” Soohyun looked worriedly at her. He laid his arm around her waist and came close to her ear. “What is it?” Jia got surprised at his sudden action. She felt blood rushing to her face from the small touch of Soohyun’s hand. “I just thought I heard someone I know. Someone I haven’t seen in years. But I guess I was wrong.” Jia looked up at Soohyun, giving him a weak smile. Soohyun felt his heart drop at her expression. “How about we get your mood up a little huh?” Soohyun gave Jia a breathtaking smile to convince her to join his plan. Jia made a thinking expression but decided to follow his lead. Soohyun’s smile grew bigger. “Good. Let’s get you a drink then.”

“Who’s up for shots!?” Eli’s voice sang through the air. Jia was a light drinker and she knew it herself, but somehow Eli and Soohyun got her convinced to join in. After the fourth shot, she cursed at herself. This was just not like her. “Urgh…” Jia shock her head. “This tastes awful!” Jia put the little glass back down on the table in front of her. She could feel her head becoming tipsy. “Stop being such a girl Jia!” Eli exclaimed. “You need to get all that shyness away, so Soohyun can convince you to dance with him.” Jia could feel his heart skip a beat. She looked up at Soohyun, who was standing next to her. Soohyun swallowed his drink in one go. “Jia.” He put the glass down and took Jia’s hands into his. “Would like to dance with me?” Soohyun was looking straight into Jia’s eyes. Jia felt her body go week. She had no idea how to dance. “I don’t know how to dance.” She looked down to the floor. Soohyun took his left hand and put it under Jia’s chin so she would face his eyes. Jia’s face instantly became bright pink. “I’m quite a good teacher.” Soohyun removed his hand to led her to the part of the living room, which was now a dance floor.

Soohyun was holding Jia tight as he guided her to the beat of the music. There were only a few inches between them. Soohyun guided Jia into a twirl, which made her end up even closer to him when she twirled into his chest. Jia felt a sudden rush of desire when her lips almost touched Soohyun’s. She wanted to feel Soohyun’s lips on hers. She instantly blamed the alcohol for her thoughts. Soohyun leaned over as Jia leaned back. Instead of kissing her lips, Soohyun moved slowly down to her neck and gave it a light peck. He then met her eyes. Soohyun could clearly see her flustered and shy face, but her eyes were sending him other signals. Soohyun took Jia in a tighter grip, as he brought her face up to his. They were both staring intensely into each other’s eyes when they got interrupted by a quite handsome man. The man tapped Soohyun’s shoulder. “Can I Steal your girlfriend for a moment?” He gave a catlike smile. “She’s not my..” Soohyun was caught off by Jia. “Jaeseop?” Jia let go of Soohyun and just stood dumfounded, looking at the guy who made her high school years hell.  

Jia could feel herself become uneasy. “Why the hell did I say yes? Why is he even here? Something is defiantly wrong.” Jaeseop was holding her in  a tight grip around the waist. Every move Jaeseop made was carefully studied by Soohyun, who was standing up against the nearby wall. “You know.” Jaeseop spook up. “You’ve become quite a butterfly since high school.” Jia felt her stomach clench when she remembered those years. “Why are you here?” Jia just blurted out. Jaeseop raised an eyebrow. “Someone has learned how to speak for herself.” Their eyes met. “Let’s talk in private. I can feel your boyfriends’ eyes pierce into my neck.” Jia thought for a moment. It wouldn’t be a good idea, but for some reason she wanted to hear him out. She gave a nod. “But I need to talk to Soohyun first.” Jia started to walk off. Jaeseop stopped her by taking her wrist. “Oh no you don’t. He’ll just stop you.” Jaeseop started to lead her to an empty hallway.

Soohyun got distracted from his spying when Eli started to blow into his ear. “Dude, stop staring. You are acting like a jealous boyfriend.” Soohyun just gave his friend a mean look and put his attention back to the dance floor. Jia and Jaeseop was now gone. Soohyun’s body froze. “Where did she go? ! I don’t like that guy!” Soohyun took Eli’s arm. “She’s not good with people and that guy made her eyes look scared. Be my best friend for a moment and help me find her. That Jaeseop guy doesn’t seem right.” Eli looked at his friend’s concerned and serious look. “You really care about this girl, don’t you?” Soohyun let out a deep sigh. “I don’t know what it is, but I feel the need to protect her.” Eli had never seen him like this. Soohyun was constantly worried about Dongho, but not in the same way as Eli saw him now. “Okay.. Let’s find her.” Eli felt a slight bit of worry too. “That cat-looking guy better not harm her. Wait… Why the hell am I getting worried!?” Eli bit his bottom lip. This was not his ideal plan for this birthday party.

Jia was now standing in a dark empty hallway. Jaeseop was right behind her, blocking her only way out. Jia turned to him. “Why are you here?” Jia could feel her heart race in fear. She really hated this guy and the 5 years they spent apart, hadn’t helped on her feelings towards him. Jaeseop took a step closer, while Jia stepped one back. “I missed you.” Jaeseop said with a teasing smirk crossing his lips. Jia made the distance between them even bigger, only to get stopped by a wall. She could feel her heart skip a beat. “This is just like the old days.” Jaeseop said with a chuckle. “You still try to run and hide.” He raised his hand and touched Jia’s cheek. “And I still catch you.” Jia was unable to move. She could feel tears forming in her eyes. Jaeseop moved closer, pressing his body against Jia’s. Jia gasped from the sudden movement. “Just as before.” Jaeseop started to move his hands down her sides. “You still tempt me.” His voice was husky and seductive. Jia felt her entire body freeze. “No. No. Don’t. I can’t. Stop!... I got away from this… How did he find me?” Jia could feel a teardrop roll down her face. Jaeseop grasped Jia’s waist and pressed her against the wall. “This time.” He whispered into her ear. “This time I will have you.”

-Flashback-

Jia was running through the empty 2nd floor hallway. Jaeseop was right behind her, calling out her name in a mocking tone. “Don’t be afraid of me.. I only want to play.” Jaeseop’s words sent uncomfortable shivers down her back. Jia knew exactly what he meant by “play.” Jia quickly ran into a nearby classroom and locked the door. Jia tried to control her heavy breathing, while listening for Jaeseop. She heard slow footsteps down the hall. “Oh Jia… You can do better than that.” Jaeseop opened the other door to the classroom, which Jia had forgotten to lock. She was now trapped. Jaeseop shock his head. “Doesn’t this get exhausting? Running from me every time we have private lesson. You need to get a hang of your math skills.” He gave her a teasing smile. He walked closer to her, leading her to the teacher’s desk. When Jia felt the desk hit her , she knew it was over. Jaeseop placed his hands on her waist and put her on the desk. He forced her to look directly into his catlike eyes. Jia felt herself tremble in fear. Tears streaming down her face. “Baby, don’t cry. You’ll thank me later.” Jaeseop was enjoying Jia’s reaction. This was exactly how he liked it. Making them scared and then giving them pleasure. Jaeseop wanted to make Jia fear him more than others. Not just because he got paid for it, but he also got a kick from hunting her through the school’s empty halls. He smirked.

“You really look cute in your uniform. No guy would ever say no to you.” Jaeseop ran his fingers through her soft hair. “Let’s make today a little more… exciting.” He leaned in and gave Jia’s a soft on the neck, while untying her tie. Jia felt disgust fill her entire body. Her tears were unstoppable. “Stop.” She could hardly speak from the sobbing. This only made Jaeseop want more. He harshly bit down on her neck, making Jia flinch in pain. She pushed him away and jumped down from the desk, trying her hardest to reach the door. Jaeseop took her writs. “I’m not done with you yet.” Jaeseop hissed. Jia tried to wiggle out of his grip, but it was no use. She started to scream for help. “Scream all you want. We are completely alone.” Jaeseop said with a laugh. Jia felt herself giving up. “What now? Kevin I need you! Where are you? Help me! Kevin… Please… Kevin.” She fell to the ground with Jaeseop hovering over her. He attacked her neck once again. Jia felt like throwing up. “Kevin…” She shut her eyes, hoping that this would all be over soon.

The door to the classroom burst open. Kevin came running in with his girlfriend Yuna right behind him. “GET THE HELL AWAY FROM HER!” Kevin was furious. Jaeseop just looked up at them and gave them an innocent smile. Jaeseop bend down to whisper in Jia’s ear. “I will have you.” Jia felt her body sink into a deep hole. She really hated this guy. Yuna went in and grabbed Jaeseop by the collar of his uniform. “You get the Hell out NOW. You do not touch her ever again! You don’t even have permission to look at her from now on. You got that?” Yuna’s eyes were burning with hatred. Jaeseop just took her hand away. “I do what I want.” Then he walked out of the room.

Kevin rushed to Jia’s side. “What did he do to you? Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?” Jia just sat up. Tears were streaming down her face once again. Kevin and Yuna took her into a tight hug. “We will protect you.” Kevin said. “I’m never letting you out of my sight again.” Jia felt thankful to have friends like Kevin and Yuna, but she couldn’t get Jaeseop’s words out of her mind. “I will have you.” She could already tell that her senior year would be quite a challenge.

-End of flashback-

Eli was searching through the parts of the house where the guests were not allowed to be. He heard a struggling voice. “Let go of me!” He was positive that it was Jia’s. He ran to where he heard her voice. There she was, cornered by a man who was moving his hand up under her dress. Eli felt a wave of rage and ran over to stop him. He took Jaeseop by the collar and gave him a hard punch, right in the face. Jaeseop fell onto the floor, taking his hand up to where Eli’s fist had made its mark. Eli then took Jia’s wrist and dragged her with him. When they were almost out of the hallway Eli turned around. “You disgusting bastard. You should treat every woman with respect! You piece of ! Oh, and get the ing hell out of my house.!” Eli and Jia despaired from the hall. Jaeseop could feel his cheek getting numb. This wouldn’t be the last of it.

Eli guided Jia to his old bedroom. When Jia entered she heard Eli call for Soohyun. “I’ll leave you to Soohyun. After all, I have guests to attend to.” Eli gently wiped a tear away from Jia’s eye. “I’m sorry for what happened.” He then said. Jia shock her head. “Don’t.. It’s not your fault.” She gave a weak smile. Eli then took Jia’s hand and gave it a light squeeze. “I would really like to know you better.” He was looking straight into her teary eyes now. “I would like to be your friend. Can I?” Jia instantly became flustered. She had never been asked like this before. She really wanted to say yes, but something was making her hesitate. Eli studied her closely. “You don’t have to reply. I’ll just give you my number. Then you can text whenever you need someone to talk too.” Eli’s voice was kind and caring. It made Jia feel warm. “Thank you.” Jia said, while squeezing his hand back. They both smiled.

Jia was sitting on Eli’s bed when the door to the bedroom opened. Soohyun came rushing in and went directly to Jia. He embraced her in a tight hug. Jia was leaning her head against his chest. “I knew I should have kept you close. That guy didn’t seem right at all!” Jia didn’t say anything. She was enjoying the feeling of Soohyun close to her. She shyly slid her arms around him. Soohyun felt his body heat up. Soohyun ran his fingers through her silky smooth hair. “You can cry if you want to.” His words were caring. Jia could feel all the emotions she was holding back fly out of her. She started to sob unto his chest. Then they just stood there, not saying a word.

“How do you know him?” Soohyun suddenly asked. He felt Jia tense up in his arms. Jia loosen her grip from Soohyun and took a step back. She didn’t want people to know about her past, but she really wanted to tell him. She wanted to get it all out. “His name is Kim Jaeseop, but he’s called AJ by his friends. We went to high school together.” Soohyun saw Jia clench her fists. “We used to be close.. Or so I thought.” Jia’s voice became bitter. “At some point we were almost like a couple, but then things changed.” Jia gestured for Soohyun to sit down, since she was about to pour out her heart for the first time ever. Soohyun did so. “I wasn’t a love child. I am a mistake to my parents and they never let me forget that. Jaeseop showed me how to look past that part of myself.” Jia looked out of the bedroom window. “What I didn’t know was that he had actually been hired to get to know me.” Jia looked down to the floor. “It was all a scam. On our third year he started to tease me ually.” Jia felt tears roll out of her eyes. “He was trying to push me over the edge.” Tears were now falling like rain down her cheeks. “They didn’t want me in the family to begin with. Father would beat me up every night and mother would make me do horrible chores. Jaeseop... Well you’ve seen a snitch of it.” Jia’s voice was filled with hatred. “If I didn’t have Kevin… I really would have given up.” Soohyun couldn’t stand it anymore. He got up and took Jia into his arms. “I thought it was over! What did I do to deserve this? I don’t even have contact to my parents anymore, so why would they still send him after me?” Jia was crying on Soohyun’s shoulder, soaking it. Soohyun held her tight. “Let’s get out of here.” He said with a calm and loving voice that made Jia feel safe.