Brother

The little moments

“Did you sleep well?” Jia asked as Jaeseop entered the kitchen. “I would have slept better in your bed.” Jaeseop flashed a teasing smile as he sat down at the kitchen table. Jia had a small blush on her cheeks as she looked over at Jaeseop. “You never change, do you?” Jaeseop just shook his head. Jia couldn’t help but smile as she continued to prepare some breakfast for the two of them. “Jia?” Jia looked back at Jaeseop with a curious look. “Yes?” Jaeseop stood up and walked over to stand next to Jia. “There is something I need to tell you.” His voice was very serious as he looked at Jia’s eyes. “I saw your dad the other day, here in Seoul.” Jia froze while dropping the bowl she was holding to the floor. “W-ha… W-what?” Jia’s hands started to shake a little as she met Jaeseop’s eyes. “He was looking for you.” Jia felt her body tremble. “Didn’t you tell him you couldn’t find me?” Jia nervously asked. “I did and he dropped the marriage because of it but he didn’t believe you weren’t here at all. He’s determent to find you.” Jia’s breath started to become uneasy. “I led him on a false trail but I don’t think it will hold him back for long.” Jia felt tears form in her eyes as she palmed her own face. “This… This can’t be happening… Not now.” Jia slowly started to panic as tears fell down her cheeks. Jaeseop placed his hands on Jia’s shoulders. “Jia.. Jia listen to me. We need to get you out of town, okay? Just until we can get him to leave the matter alone… I can’t promise he won’t find you if you stay here.” Jaeseop worriedly looked at Jia, unsure if she was even listening to him.

“What the hell are you doing to Jia!?” Soohyun exclaimed as he stomped into Jia’s kitchen. “I’m just trying to get her to leave town for some time.” Soohyun confusingly looked at Jaeseop. “Have you heard the story of her dad?” Soohyun’s eyes went wide. “Is he still looking for her?” Jaeseop nodded and looked to Jia, who was shaking even more that before. Soohyun wrapped his arms around her as she started to cry her eyes out. “Why? Why won’t he just leave me be? What have I done to be tormented like this!?” Jia’s voice was shaking just as much as her body. Soohyun ran his fingers through her hair. “Jaeseop…” Soohyun gave him a look that said everything. “We need to get her out of town and someone has to keep an eye on her, just in case.” Soohyun nodded. “Jia?” Jia looked up at Soohyun with red swollen eyes. “You are going to stay in my family’s vacation home for a while, so you need to pack you things.” Jia looked like a sad puppy as she nodded and started to walk towards her bedroom.

“What is your plan?” Soohyun asked as Jaeseop picked up the bowl from the floor. “First I want to know why he is looking for her. Then I’m going to convince him she is England.” Soohyun raised his eyebrow. “You make is sound so easy.” Jaeseop gave a faint smile. “It’s the opposite actually. Her dad is not someone to joke about. He scared me less when I was younger. He still scares me.” Jaeseop’s eyes were dark as he looked out the window. Jaeseop let out a sigh. “Soohyun you need to make sure she stays safe. Even though I would love to handle this alone, I can’t.” Soohyun carefully looked at Jaeseop. “Can I trust you?” Jaeseop locked eyes with Soohyun. “That’s up to you.” Soohyun broke their gaze. “Don’t mess this up.” They shook hands and Jaeseop left the apartment. Soohyun sighed. “This is serious… What does her dad even want? Maybe I should call Eli and get the next week off.”

Soohyun hesitantly entered the bedroom and saw Jia sitting like a statue on the bed. “Jia?” He called out her name as he slowly sat down close her. “How could I forget?” Jia suddenly said as she looked over at Soohyun. “Of course he would be seeking me out now.” Her voice was still trembling. “He blames me.” Soohyun confusingly met her eyes. “Tomorrow is the anniversary of my brother’s death. 10 year anniversary.” Jia’s tears started to stream down her face as she remembered her brother’s memory. “It was my fault.” Jia broke down and leaned against Soohyun’s chest. Soohyun wrapped his arms around her. He didn’t know the story of her brother’s death. He didn’t even know she had a brother. Soohyun wanted to comfort her but didn’t know what to say. “Shh shh, I’m here.. We will figure this out.” Soohyun had a worried look on his face as he kissed the top of Jia’s head, as she kept sobbing against his chest. He could feel his shirt get wet from Jia’s tears. “Jia..”

~*~

Soohyun had Jia on his right and Dongho on his left as they all three sat in front of the fireplace. “It seems Dongho is fast asleep.” Jia kindly said as she looked over at the younger boy. “Makes sense since it’s 10pm.” Soohyun said as he slowly shifted on the couch so he could get up and carry Dongho to bed. Jia just sat back on the couch and stared into the small flame of the fireplace. “Did you hear anything from Jaeseop?” Jia asked as Soohyun sat back down. Soohyun nodded. “He is convincing your dad that you don’t live in Seoul and never will. It sounds like it’s working so far. Now he just need to get him on a false trail.” Jia sighed. “I hope Jaeseop is okay… My dad is kind of… Horrible.” Soohyun put his arm around her shoulder. “If you want to talk about all this, I’m here for you.” Soohyun caressed Jia’s cheek as he gave her a loving gaze. “I can see you’re hurt, so please talk to me.” Jia looked to her lap. “Nickhun was my older brother and he was the one who protected me against my parents. He was loved dearly by them so they listened to him. The fact that I was a mistake didn’t make it easy for him.” Jia looked out of the dark window. “He was taking me home from school.”

~Flashback~          

“You really need to do something about that bush on your head Jia.” Jia pouted as she gave her older brother a sceptic look. “And your ears look like a monkey’s.” Nickhun laughed as he ruffled his cute sister’s hair. It was one of their better days or that was they thought. They walked down the same small street as they did everyday but somehow if felt different today. Nickhun kept looking over his shoulder and out of the blue took Jia’s hand into his. “Stay close to me, okay?” Jia just nodded as she slowly started to become scared. Out of some side streets came about five men and at least two of them had knifes. Nickhun cursed as he pushed Jia behind him. “When I say run, you run.” Jia placed her arms around her brother. “I don’t want to leave you.” Jia was crying as her grip around Nickhun tightened. “Do as I say Jia.” Nickhun’s voice was stern as he looked down to his scared little sister. “Trust me.”

Nickhun steered Jia around the guys. Surprisingly they didn’t try and stop him. They just sent them creepy glares as Nickhun and Jia left the street. “Just walk slowly. Just pretend they aren’t looking.” Jia squeezed her brother’s hand as she tried to steady her uneasy breaths. They finally reached their house and quickly got inside. “Let’s go to your room.” Nickhun dragged Jia with him to her room as he made sure the doors and windows were sealed on the way. “This is taking it too far. What the hell is wrong with them? She’s just a kid!”

“Oppa..” Jia sounded even more scared than before. Nickhun looked back at her. “What is it?” Jia pointed to the window as her hand started to shake. Nickhun’s eyes wen wide as he saw the message written on the window. You only bring trouble Shizuka. Nickhun clenched his fists. “Bastards… Mothering bastards.” His voice was bitter. Nickhun walked over and turned Jia away from the window. “Don’t believe anything they tell you. You are my precious little princess and I will protect you. Don’t listen to them.” Nickhun embraced Jia but pulled away as he heard a loud bang from the front door. “Hyde under your bed.” Jia did as she was told and crawled under the bed. The door to her room bursted open as the men from earlier entered her room one by one. Nickhun casually stood and looked back at the group of men that were now surrounding him.

“What did you do with the kid?” It was the guys who seemed to be the leader who spoke. Nickhun pointed to the window. “I told her to run.” The man gritted his teeth. “You little punk.” The man spat as he gripped Nickhun’s jacket collar. “You know you are not supposed to protect her. We are going to take her away. You need to stop this.” Nickhun narrowed his eyes. “Why are you taking their side uncle? WHAT THE HELL DID SHE DO WRONG!?” Nickhun wiggled out of his uncle’s grip and stared back at his uncle with angry eyes. “She’s only 13… She does everything she is told to. She gets straight A’s and do whatever you, mom and dad force her to. Why do you all hate her so? WHAT DID SHE DO WRONG?”

Jia looked at her brother from under her bed as tears once again started to stream down her face. “He wouldn’t be in trouble if I wasn’t here.. They would be a happy family.” Jia crawled out from under the bed. “If I disappear… Would you all be happy?” Jia’s shy voice made Nickhun turn around with worried eyes. “Damn it!” Jia walked in front of Nickhun as her body was trembling with fear. She looked directly to her uncle. “Will you leave Nickhun alone if I disappear?” The uncle met Jia’s eyes. “Yes.” Jia looked back at her brother. “I’m sorry… I can’t take this anymore. I wanna be strong for you and make you proud… I just can’t anymore. It’s building up inside and I want it to be gone… All this guilt. All the hatred towards me.” Nickhun’s eyes turned bigger as he understood what she was about to do. “Jia..” Jia just looked to her uncle. “Make me disappear.”

~End of flashback~

“He stepped in front of me just as my uncle aimed the knife at me. He was stabbed in the heart.” Jia embraced herself as tears started to slowly fall from her cheeks. “Keep my memory close. That was the last thing he told me.” Jia looked at Soohyun. “I got his blood on my hands. If I hadn’t been his sister, he would’ve been alive now… The way they all treated me after that was worse than before. Instead of wanting to get rid of me, they wanted me to get rid of myself.” Soohyun just stared in shock. He never though it was this bad. “Keep my memory close..” Jia repeated as she broke down. “He was my sunshine.” Soohyun wrapped his arms around Jia. “There, there.” He her silky smooth hair. “I know you won’t believe me but it was not your fault. You shouldn’t blame yourself.” Jia sobbed as she looked into Soohyun’s deep loving eyes. “You should hate me now. I was the reason for an innocent person’s death. I’m a horrible person. I don’t deserve your love.” Soohyun placed his hand under Jia’s chin. “How dare you say that?” Soohyun’s voice was stern and so were his eyes. “It’s not your fault and I love you Jia Williams, not matter what. Don’t you forget that, oaky?” Soohyun intensely stared into Jia’s eyes as he caressed her cheek. “I know this is selfish of me… But… I want to be your new sun.” Jia’s felt warm as Soohyun leaned down to capture her lips in a passionate kiss. Soohyun was the first person since her brother that made Jia feel completely safe. “I want you to be my sun too.”