Spot

You're Not Ready

"Oppa!" You squealed when you saw your brother, Jaemin, in his Hummer. He grinned and leaned out, patting your head.

"Hey there _________. How you been?" He said as he pointed for you to hop in.

You smiled and quickly hopped into the passengers seat. He helped throw your bag in the back seat as you buckled up.

 

"Where's the rest of your stuff?" He asked.

 

"It should be at your house soon," you said.

 

"You mailed it or something?" He said as he started the car up.

 

"Meh, you can say that," you smiled as he pulled out of the airport parking lot.

 

"How was New York?"

 

"It was pretty good. Just glad to finally be back," You grinned as you looked out at Seattle's scenery.

 

It was about a forty minute drive from Seattle's airport to your hometown of Edmonds. You were still taking in the scenery when Jaemin looked at you. You turned and smacked him.

 

"Yah! Why are you staring so much?" You laughed.

 

He laughed and petted your head.

 

"You look different! You're gone for only four years and you nearly do a whole flip on me! You barely look like yourself! When did you grow out your hair? And what's up with the clothes? What happened to Miss. No-Skirts?" Jaemin grinned as he took a left turn into your old neighborhood.

 

"What do you expect from New York and four years, Oppa?" You grinned as you gave him a slight push.

 

"What's this? You don't punch me like before? I think I like the ____________ better!"

 

You rolled to our eyes and laughed. It had been four years since you had left your home to go to New York. There you had attended a high end art college for the last four years. You had just turned twenty two and you were eager to get started on your career. Yet you decided to go back home for your brother. Jaemin was the one that had to send you off to college because both of your parents were gone. Having been in an accident, both of them were gone. They had crashed one late night a while after you had graduated high school. That left you and your brother all by yourselves. Jaemin at that point wasn't the best of kids. He had been running around with a tough crowd, yet when your parents died, he changed. He became the son that your parents never got to see. He made sure everything was taken care of and took care of you. He even was able to scrape up enough money to be able to send you to New York. From what he told you, he had kept the house and now he was a dance instructor. He also mentioned he was in a dance group called Art of Movement.

 

"What's all this?" You asked as you two finally pulled up to the house.

 

A few cars were parked in the driveway and cardboard boxes were stacked beside the stairs.

 

"A few of the crew members are over. I'm guessing that's your stuff?" Jaemin said as he motioned to the boxes.

 

"Yeah!"

 

He parked and the both of you got out and walked to the stack of boxes. At that moment the door swung open and few men walked out. They were decked out in bboy clothing and were all laughing and shoving each other around. One turned and looked down the staircase at the two of you.

 

"Bwoh!! Ayo Mist! Who's this?!" One said loudly as he scattered down the stairs.

 

The rest locked eyes on you and immediately followed suit. They all surrounded you and Jaemin immediately grabbed your wrist, pulling you out of the way.

 

"THIS is my little sister, _________," He said as he gave them a warning look.

 

"Wait hold up this is the little sister that you had been talking about?" One said.

 

"I thought she was like twelve or something! From the way you talk about her, you make her seem like she's a little kid! You didn't tell her she was already grown up!" Another said. 

 

"You talk about me like as if I'm a little kid," You mutter, "And why they call you Mist?"

 

Jaemin gave you a small smack upside the head.

 

"Aish!" You hissed.

 

"Hey now Mist, don't go hitting your sister because of us now," One of the guys said.

 

"Yah. How about you guys help me with her stuff," Jaemin huffed as he took of his beanie.

 

"These boxes? We tried to take them in earlier, but they weigh an load man. What you got in there? Rocks?"

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

 

The last box was finally placed down on the table in the room. You smiled as you opened that box up and began removing the large amount of newspaper.

 

"What’s with all this paper yo?" One of the guys laughed as he picked some up.

 

"When you asked if I carried around rocks...You were right to a certain extent," You laughed.

 

You pulled out the small intricate clay vase. You remember that you had made it half a year ago as a small project while you were on break.

 

"Most of the boxes are full of different things like this," You explained as you handed the vase to the closest person to you.

 

"Bwoh! This is awesome! Are you an artist or something?"

 

"I prefer the term ceramic artist thank you," You laughed.

 

You opened another box and pulled out a few clay tools. The opening of another box reveled pure clay.

 

"You carry this around with you? Shoot what are you gonna do with all this dirt?" One of the guys said.

 

"Its not dirt. It's clay," You said.

 

"You actually make money off of this?" One of the others said.

 

"She sold a sculpture for $500 once," Jaemin stated.

 

"Bwoh!" They all exclaimed.

 

"A lot of her artwork is actually sought out frequently" Jaemin continued.

 

"Yah stop bragging for me," You laughed.

 

"It's the truth!" He laughed.

 

"Well, not meaning to be mean or anything, but we gotta go man. We gotta meet up with the rest of the crew down in Seattle at seven," One of them said.

 

Jaemin nodded and looked at you.

 

"You'll be alright until later right sis? I forgot to tell you we had a battle for today. I was going to invite you, but you must be tired and everything," Jaemin started.

 

"It's ok, Oppa. I was gonna go lie down for a bit anyways," You smiled as you tucked some hair behind your ear.

 

"Ah ok then. I'll see you later then ok?" He said as all of the men left the room.

 

Soon you heard the cars outside rev up and drive off. You sighed to yourself and picked up one of the coil pots you had finished before coming back home.

 

"Well...Time to settle in guys," You said to your pottery.

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                         

 

A few weeks passed and next thing Jaemin knew, you had flipped the house upside down. You had left it spotless and basically redecorated. It now looked more modern and lived in rather than the messy garbage pit it had been when living alone. You had actually moved out of your old room and stayed in your parents old room. Jaemin felt uncomfortable taking it as his own so he told you to take it. You had rearranged everything and now you had settled in comfortably. You spent a majority of your time in the basement which you had turned into your personal studio.

 

Jaemin had ordered you an L&L kiln as a welcome home gift. It was set up down in your studio and you had been ecstatic when you received it. You since then had made and glazed a whole plate set. You had even made some cups to match as well as some teacups for when you had your teas. You were surprised when you saw that your brother had only disposable plates and cups. Yet somehow you weren't surprised at the same time. He had turned the home into a messy bachelor pad.

 

You soon got used to Jaemin's friends as well. There was usually at least one in the home at all times. They soon learned why they called your brother Mist. That was the name they gave him when he first showed off his skills in a battle. He later demonstrated to you and you saw why. When he moved he moved as silently and as smoothly as the mist that hovered above a lake in the early mornings. You were excited to see your brother doing so well.

 

You soon learned the names of most of the members. There was ChaCha, Dial Tone, Hep, StepRoc, Gil, Junior, Phé, Neil, and Bowzer. There was another member according to your brother but he was busy doing promoting his music so he wasn't around much. You soon also earned a nickname. Seeing how you spent so much time in your studio and cleaning, the guys thought it appropriate to call you Spot.

 

"Spot?" You said.

 

"Yeah!" Chacha laughed.

 

"Why...."

 

"No matter how big the mess, there's not a spot left after you clean. That's why you're gonna be called Spot from now on kiddo."

 

"Aish you..."

 

"Ha! You're just like your brother! By the way, where is your brother?" Chacha said as he flunked down on the couch.

 

You finished adjusting the miniature statue you had made on the fireplace.

 

"He said he was picking up a friend from the airport today. That one guy, the singer."

 

"Aw man! That’s right! I forgot Jay was coming back today!" Chacha laughed as he quickly took out his phone.

 

You watched him as he called someone. So the guy's name was Jay? Was that his real name or one of the nicknames Chacha and the guys were so fond of giving out.

 

"Ay yo man! Pick up some food and drinks with the guys. Jays coming back so lets party a bit...Girls? Bring that too!" 

 

"Heyheyheyheyhey!!" You said as you smacked Chacha, "Drinks? Girls? What are you guys doing?!"

 

"Come on Spot! We'll behave! I mean come on! We have to party!" Chacha grinned.

 

You sighed and walked back over to your statue. Chacha continued his conversation and soon Dial Tone walked in.

 

"Ay Spot!" He grinned.

 

You rolled your eyes and turned to him.

 

"You all agreed to that name didn't you?" You muttered.

 

Dial Tone nodded as he rustled my hair. I squealed and ducked down bumping my head on the low shelf above the fireplace.

 

"Aish!!!"

 

"Ha! You act like your brother kiddo!"

 

"Why do you guys keep saying that?" You sighed with a small smile.

 

"Is this new?" Dial Tone asked as he looked at your sculpture.

 

It was a sensual piece of a woman and man dancing around one another. This was definitely one of your all-time favorites. You smiled and brushed your hair back a bit.

 

"Yes. It's definitely one of my best works in a while," You said shyly.

 

"This is frickin' awesome!" He said as he admired your work.

 

"Hey Dial! Jays back today man," Chacha said from the couch.

 

"Really man?!" Dial Tone grinned.

 

"Yeah, I told the guys to pick up some drinks and food. They also said they were bringing some girls," Chacha winked.

 

You rolled your eyes and sighed.

 

"Hey Spot. Why don't you get dressed up a bit? I think we only saw you dressed up once and that was when we got here," Dial Tone laughed.

 

He was right. You liked dressing up, but only did it when necessary or you were in the mood. Most of the time you were busy with your work so dressing up was not high on your priority list. Some clays would also ruin some of your clothing if your weren't extremely careful. That’s why you took to wearing a simple long red tank top that reached mid-thigh and some old skinny jeans. You also kept your clay apron on a majority of the time seeing how you were constantly working around the house or one your clay. You also kept your hair up in a high pony tail to keep it out of your face.

 

"I don't think dressing up is necessary right now..." You said.

 

"You gotta party with us Spot! Come one now! Make yourself pretty," Chacha smiled.

 

"So you're saying....I'm not pretty as is," You said with a face.

 

Chacha immediately jumped up and waved his hands in apology.

 

"That's definitely not what I meant Spot! You're really pretty, like really pretty! Just the way you are!!! What I meant was that you should go fix yourself up to come join us!" Chacha said nervously.

 

You glared at him and Dial Tone laughed.

 

"You are screwed if Mist finds out man," Dial Tone said as he walked to the kitchen.

 

You knew what he meant. Your brother was extremely protective and constantly reminded you that you looked like your mother. Your mother was possibly one of the most beautiful women you had seen in your lifetime. This coming from someone who had been in New York you had seen many beautiful people. Yet not even high end models could come close to your mother's beauty.

 

You eventually waved off Chacha with a laugh and he sighed as he plopped back down on the couch.

 

"Yah. I have a piece I have to work on for a client in Toronto. I'll be busy, but if you guys need anything, you can find me in my studio alright?" You stated as you wiped your hands on your apron.

 

Chacha nodded and your heard Dial Tone grunt an ok from the kitchen. You left the living room and went back down to the basement. You walked down the steps and walked over to where you kept your boxes of new fresh clay. Taking out a large chuck, you sat down on your workplace. You began kneading out the clay, working to get the air bubbles out and to get it how you wanted it.

 

Halfway into forming the newly kneaded clay into a ball, you heard commotion upstairs.

 

"They must finally be here," You muttered as you went back to work.

 

The client had asked for a bust. No one in particular, but someone attractive. You tried to think of who you could make and found yourself stuck. It was hard to find someone that could work. You even tried to make up an imaginary individual, yet your remained stuck. The commotion upstairs wasn't helping either. You could hear them laughing and talking loudly, as well as the tremble of the loud music they were playing. There were feminine squeals and laughter as well.

 

"They weren't kidding about the girls were they," You scoffed.

 

You continued to brain storm and soon you found yourself frustrated. You wanted to work on this piece so badly, yet nothing came to mind. All of the noise from upstairs was also starting to really piss you off. You thought of going to your room and getting you earphone to plug in your iPod, so you stood up. Slowly making your way up the stairs, you sighed. You really weren't feeling so well now.

 

The noise level in the living room was unbelievable. You were going to try your best to sneak by without any of the guys seeing you. You knew the moment they saw you they were going to pull you in and never let you return to your work. You prepared yourself to make a dash for it when...

 

"Hey!! This is so pretty!" A tipsy female voice said.

 

At that moment you felt yourself freeze as the unimaginable happened. You heard the sound of shattering.

 

"Ah! I dropped it! Silly me!" The female giggled.

 

There was some laughter, but there was also a bit of an awkward silence. You stormed into the living room livid. The living room was a complete mess and full of all of the crew members and females. One girl in a mini dress stood by the fireplace with your artwork shattered at her feet. She continued to giggle and act cutely as she shuffled away. The room soon went completely silent, with the exception of the music, as you walked over to your broken work. You noticed your brother get up and walk up to you.

 

"Spot..." He muttered.

 

You were silent as you bent down and picked up the pieces. It was too shattered to even attempt at fixing.

 

"Spot?" You heard Dial Tone say softly as he also approached.

 

You felt tears sting your eyes as you looked at what was left of your masterpiece. The man and woman had been torn apart and dismembered. Soon anger filled your veins. Your hands turned into fists and your felt the shattered pieces cut into your skin. Warm blood soon dribbled down your hands.

 

"Out," You said softly as you stood up.

 

"What was that?" Jaemin asked as he laid a hand on your shoulder.

 

"Out. I want these girls OUT," you said loudly.

 

"Hey! Who do you think you are telling us to leave," A girl scoffed somewhere from the couches.

 

"Don't question her. Take your friends and get out," Junior said as he took the girl from the arm.

 

"Hey man. What's going on? No need to throw the girls out over some broken junk," an unfamiliar voice said.

 

Your head whipped over to the source of the voice and found it. There on the couch sat probably one of the most beautiful men you had ever seen. He had a smirk on his beautiful face. Even in spite of your anger, you found the inspiration of your next work. Still that didn't stop you from walking over to him. You threw the shattered pieces of your work at him and that’s when everyone saw the blood. The girls next to him screamed and scattered and he gasped when he saw the blood stains on his white shirt.

 

"Spot!" Jaemin shouted as he ran over and took your wrist.

 

You pulled your hand away and pointed at the stranger.

 

"This junk is my life. Don't you dare call it junk ever again you hear me?" You said as seriously as possible.

 

Even then the anger in your voice was evident. You felt your brother shift beside you as you continued to glare at the man. He looked back at you a bit baffled. Soon your saw the girls slowly shuffle out of the house. You felt someone gently take your arm and pull you away from the stranger. No matter how hard they pulled you continued your glaring.

 

"Spot....Spot....__________-ah," Jaemin's voice said.

 

That immediately brought you out of it. You looked over and saw all of the crew looking at you with a worried expression. You felt tears sting your eyes once again as a wave of sadness washed over you. Some of the crew cleared some space on one of the other couches as Jaemin sat you down. He took your hands and you saw that your palms were completely covered in blood and that it was still bleeding. The cuts from squeezing the shattered pieces so hard had pierced the skin quite deeply.

 

"I think we need to go to the hospital," Chacha said as he looked over Jaemin's shoulder.

 

"You're right," Jaemin muttered.

 

He looked up and saw you with tears in your eyes.

 

"_________-ah....It'll be ok..." Jaemin said as he soothed your hair.

 

"No...no it won't be ok...Oppa...That statue...It was of mom and dad," You cried.

 

Jaemin's lips formed a thin line. Someone turned off the music and some of the members even started cleaning up the mess they had made.

 

"Let's get you to the hospital," Jaemin said quietly as he helped you up.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

 

When you arrived home the next morning, you had found the house spotless. There wasn’t even any garbage.

 

"It's spotless," You said as you walked into the kitchen.

 

You walked to the cupboard and tried opening it, but then remembered your hands. They were both wrapped up in bandages. The bandages kept your hands straight and stiff making you feel useless. Your hands were the most important body parts to you. They're what formed your works of art. The doctor said the cuts weren't that deep, but to keep your hands bandaged until you were fully healed. That would at least be a month. You knew that you were going to go crazy not being able to use your hands at all.

 

You sighed in frustration as you once again attempted to open the cupboard. A tattooed hand soon appeared and opened it for you. You looked over and saw the stranger from last night. Well not so much stranger seeing how you had figured out who he was. He was the member your brother had picked up from the airport the day before. What was his name again? Jake? James? 

 

"Cup of water?" He asked.

 

You stared at him in silence for a while.

 

"Cup of juice actually," You said flatly.

 

He pulled out one of the large mugs and walked over to the fridge. You watched him carefully. He was wearing a black wife beater and some gray sweatpants. He was barefoot and you found it a bit strange. Then you noticed the complete tattoo sleeve he sported. He turned around and helped you slid your hands into the handle. Supporting the mug carefully, you took a sip of the juice.

 

"I'm sorry about last night..." He said.

 

You looked up and saw him staring at you.

 

"Excuse me?" You said.

 

"I mean to apologize for last night. You're work got broke and I called it junk. I was a bit drunk and just not all there. I say things like that when I drink," He said.

 

"Sure," You muttered.

 

"No really...I really am sorry. I mean I know how you felt when I said that..."

 

You looked up at him and gave him an odd look.

 

"I really do! I mean...When I work so hard on a song and then it gets criticized called ...It really hurts you know," He said.

 

You looked up at him and saw a genuine apologetic look on his face. You gave him a harsh look, but then sighed.

 

"Alright then. I accept your apology," You said.

 

He smiled and you felt your stomach go light for a moment. His smile was bright and happy.

 

"I'm so happy to hear that! Oh by the way, I'm Jay," He said as he reached out to shake your hand.

 

"___________. Everyone calls me Spot though," You said as you attempted to shake his hand, resulting in an awkward handshake.

 

"___________. That’s a pretty name. Hopefully I'll get to know you better," He smiled.

 

You couldn't help, but smile back. This guy was definitely your inspiration for your work now.