Lunch

Sunshine

It was raining that morning when Zelo walked into the office, the pitter patter of it hitting the roof calms down Zelo's first day jitters. He shakes the water out of his curly hair and looks around. No one was in yet. The office is dark, making him feel as if a ghost would pop out at any time and eat him. As he looks for his own cubicle in the dark, the lights turn on abruptly and he looks up to see a girl standing in the doorway. She shakes out her umbrella and smiles at him.

“Good morning,” she says.

 

“Morning,” Zelo replies.

 

“I heard Daehyun say that you were tricked by Yongguk yesterday,” she muses. She walks over to her own cubicle and sets her purse down on the table. The nameplate plastered on the wall reads "Han Sunhwa." A blush grows on Zelo’s face as he remembers what happened yesterday. The embarrassment that he felt as he was made a joke of once again by his boss. But... It was different this time... A different sort of "teasing" as his "friends" liked to call it as they pushed him against a locker and punched him in the stomach.

 

“Is-Is Daehyun mad?” Zelo asks, he really didn’t want to start off on the wrong foot with the people here. After all, he was thinking of working here for awhile. The girl laughs a little.

 

"Don't worry, dear, Daehyun is a very nice person who doesn't keep grudges, he's probably on his food run again," she smiles sweetly. Zelo feels his cheeks growing warmer as she continues to talk to him, no girl has ever talked to him for so long, no one so pretty either.

 

A sound of evil laughter can be heard coming from Yongguk's office, the two look up at once to see Daehyun skipping out of it looking triumphant. He stops when he sees the two staring at him and smiles.

 

"Good morning, my lovely co workers, what brings you here so early?" He asks as if he hadn't done anything wrong. He gracefully sits down in his seat and twirls once before leaning back with his feet on the table.

 

"I'm always here early, what brings you here? You always saunter in late and complaining about how hungry you are," Sunhwa says.

 

"I was leaving dear Yongguk a present," Daehyun says, a mischievous glint passing his eyes.

 

"What kind of present?" Zelo asks, curious about the shenanigans that go on in the office.

 

"Well, dear-" Daehyun ponders as to how address this boy.

 

"Call me Zelo," Zelo says, doing the work for him.

 

"Zelo,” Daehyun repeats before continuing, “it's pretty simple actually, you'll just have to wait and see," with a wink, Daehyun sits down at his seat and turns on his computer. Everyone else starts coming in, they all smile and wave at Zelo, some even introduce themselves. But one guy doesn't even bother saying anything to him. He scrutinizes this guy and realizes with a jolt that he's someone Zelo knows very well, he was also someone Zelo never wanted to see ever again, someone who hurt him the most during his dark days. Someone he still... cares about. A person he thought of every single day. The world is just out to torment poor Zelo because they placed the boy right in his line of sight.

 

"Jongup, you didn't say hi to the new kid. Just because you're his senior doesn't mean you can be rude," Sunhwa frowns, noticing as the older boy ignores the presence of his new coworker. Zelo looks down at his clenched fists to keep from crying.

 

Hesitantly Jongup says "Nice to meet you... I'm Jongup..."

 

Zelo nods in acknowledgement and stares down at his desk. He notices a pile of papers that weren't there before and realizes that it's paperwork for new employees. He grabs the stack and begins to fill it out. He notices eyes on him and looks up just as Jongup looks away. Zelo's jaw sets and he goes back to filling out his paperwork. Yongguk comes sauntering in with a bag and drops it onto Daehyun's desk.

 

"For your voice," he laughs and walks into his own office. Daehyun smirks and waits for the reaction.

 

"DAEHYUN YOU !" A scream erupts and Daehyun falls backward in laughter. He then opens the bag and screams like a girl, laughter can be heard from Yongguk's office as well. Everyone shakes their head as if this happens everyday and then goes back to their work. Amused, Zelo watches as Daehyun pokes the bag and then cringes over and over again. He wonders what was in the bag and what happened in Yongguk's office. It seems he is the only one who actually cares.

 

Zelo finishes filling out the paperwork and decides to go hand it into Hyosung as that was what the sticky note on the top of them had said. She isn't in her office when he walks in so he decides to sit there and wait. Hyosung's office is just as neat as Yongguk's but it isn't as decorated with bunnies. There are many pictures of four girls plastered neatly everywhere. He recognizes Sunhwa and Hyosung in all of them but the other two were not as clear. He knows he sees them around the office but their names were escaping his grasp. He notices a picture frame on her desk and a pang goes through him. The picture had the four girls, but this time Yongguk's arms were around one of them. They were smiling blissfully into the camera and it made Zelo wish he could've had a smile that bright.

 

"That's Jieun," Hyosung says, following his gaze as he scrutinizes the picture. She closes the door and goes to sit at her desk, smiling at him.

 

"Are they dating?" Zelo asks hesitantly.

 

"Were, they were dating, but not anymore," Hyosung sighs, "they were perfect, but I guess perfection is just an illusion."

"What happened?"

 

Hyosung shrugs, "just like any other relationship in this world, things don't work out and you just grow distant and things end." Zelo looks at the picture one more time and then hands Hyosung his paperwork. He bows and walks out of the office, back to his cubicle.

 

He glances over at the happy girl with the wavy brown hair and wonders how long they had been broken up, whether or not she had found a new lover. Is it still awkward between them. What exactly drove them to break up. Is there a chance that they would get together again. Thoughts whirled around in his head as everyone looks up at the clock and smiles happily. They all stand up and walk up to each other's desks and stand over them, talking to each other.

 

"Hey, Zelo," A voice says as they lean over his cubicle, he looks up to see Sunhwa smiling at him, "we're gonna go eat lunch, wanna come with?"

 

He thinks about it for a moment, no one had ever asked him out to lunch, no one had ever asked him out to anything. But these were people he would be working with for awhile, it won't hurt to socialize once in awhile. He falters at the word "socialize" he's never socialized before, he has no idea how it works and what you're supposed to do. The rules in which you act, the way people would then act towards you. Never in his life had he ever been forced to make the decision to actually socialize. No one gave him the chance.

 

"Sure," he feels his own mouth say the opposite of what he wanted. He tries to take it back, to deny and tell them he's busy, but nothing would come out.

 

Sunhwa smiles again, "will you go get Yongguk? He'll take you there, tell him we're going to the usual place." Zelo nods and Sunhwa leaves to follow the crowd. He stands up and goes to knock on Yongguk's door.

 

"Come in," the other side calls. Zelo sighs and opens the door to his very first social outing. Zelo walks in and is shocked to find that the place had been strewn with feathers and pillow cases. It looked like the aftermath of wannabe teenage girls who actually have pillow fights at their slumber parties. Yongguk looks up and smiles.

 

"It's lunchtime, what're you doing in here?" He asks, swatting at a feather that was flying towards his face. Even with these ridiculous feathers flying around everywhere, Yongguk still managed to take Zelo's breath away. In fact, Yongguk looked like a majestic fallen angel who lost his wings during his descent to earth. The sunlight gleaming through the window didn't help Zelo with forgetting the illusion.

 

"The others told me to tell you that they'll be at the usual place and you should come join us," Zelo replies, trying not to gawk at the man. Yongguk scowls.

 

"Those devious little demons. They think that they can drag out their lunch break if I'm there with them, but they're wrong," he mutters. He takes his cell phone out and dials a number, when the other side picks up, he says "Hey, Hyosung, tell the others that I'm not hungry so I'll be staying here with Zelo." Smugly, he hangs up and smiles mischievously at Zelo.

 

"There's food in the office?" Zelo asks.

 

"Of course not, I'm taking you out."

 

Zelo thinks about it for a moment and then realizes that he said "taking him out" a phrase people use when they're talking about "going out." He wonders if it was just bad word choice or if it meant something else entirely. "Isn't that you do when you're on a d-"

 

"A date? Yeah, I guess you can think of it that way, now let's go." Zelo blushes at these words and follows the man out to his car. He opens the door and gets into the passenger seat. He still can't believe that he's going on a "date" with his boss.

 

 

Love, a thing that everyone strives for. I had that once. That blissful, innocent kind of love. The kind where you stare into each others eyes and feel as if you're floating on air. Where you wake up in the morning with a smile on your face. The kind that no matter what you do, you could always count on it being perfect. It was beautiful, that period of my life. I felt like I could face just about anything. But it didn't last. We began getting picked on because of our relationship. My boyfriend, yes boyfriend, and I tried to endure it together. We were called "fags" and "homos" and they always pushed us and punched us and spat on us. It wasn't anything I hadn't faced before, but it hurt seeing him have to go through it with me. It hurt a lot but we had each other. We became each other's strength. I thought that was all I needed, no, I knew that was all I needed. But apparently, he wasn't as strong as me and he couldn't take it anymore, so he... he left me... Just upped and walked out of my life one day without a word. People still picked on me for being gay but now I didn't have that boulder next to me. I was alone. Eventually, he found someone new. Someone who made him laugh, made him smile. Someone who would kiss him and make his lunch boxes. Someone who wasn't me. Someone who was a girl. Someone who didn't make his life a living hell just because he was with her. Someone who actually genuinely smiles instead of hiding behind a fake grin. Someone whole, someone who wasn't trying to pick up her own broken pieces and glue them back with shaky hands. Someone who had friends, who had a circle of friends. Someone he would never have to worry about because he knew she wouldn't try to hurt herself. She was perfect because she wasn't me.

He never talked to me again, and I never bothered saying anything to him. We would pass each other in the hallway as if we didn't know each other. Even up to the day I attempted to end everything, we never spoke a word. Not a smile, not even a glance. Only a yearning on my behalf to return to the ways things were. But nothing would ever be the same again, no matter how much I wished it to be. The love that I had found lasted for about a year, I thought I had finally found someone who would finally accept me, but I was way off. Jongup was no different than the others.

A/N: Omg. So I was on my personal facebook and I found this video that matched so well with this story that I can't help it but share with you guys. It was so shocking how relevant it was.I didn't find it until like a week after i finished this chapter though so I did not plagarize. Click here to watch it. It's 20 minutes long but you won't regret it.