The Interview

Sunshine

 

Zelo looks around at the office for the first time. He had found this place on the newspaper and thought it would be a great starting job for a high school dropout. The interview was scheduled for noon today so he’s about ten minutes late, but that was because he got distracted by some puppies on the way. He notices some people goofing off and some intently doing their work. A young woman comes up to him. She looks to be a little older than the 18 year old boy, but she's about a head shorter. Her short, wavy hair frames her face perfectly.

"You must be the new potential employee," she smiles widely, her smiles spreading throughout her face. She’s beautiful, no doubt about it. Zelo smiles back and bows respectfully, he may have dropped out but his mother didn’t raise him badly.

"I'm Zelo," he says.

"Well, Jello, I'll show you to his office, I'm Hyosung, his personal secretary. Mr. Bang is probably in a meeting right now so you just wait in his office." Zelo follows her down a hall, she knocks on a door and when she doesn't get a response, she just opens it and motions him to follow, "my office is right next door, drop by if you have any questions, I'll text him to inform him that you're here. Good luck on the interview."

She turns on the light and leaves, closing the door on Zelo. He sits on the sofa and looks around at the office. It didn't tell him much about the inhabitant except that he's very neat and he has a daughter. Well, that's what it looks like. Little bunny plushies line the top of the cupboards. Bunny magnets cover the white board, and bunny stickers decorate his monitor border, there was even a badly drawn bunny hanging on the fridge.

The door suddenly opens and a tall, masculine man walks in. He nods at Zelo and then goes to sit at the desk. A look of annoyance crosses his face as he sees the stickers.

"Damn that Daehyun, I told him not to waste my stickers," he mutters in his deep-as-the-ocean voice. More mutters and curses could be heard as he removes the stickers and carefully placed them back into their cover. It seems that the person obsessed with bunnies wasn’t his daughter, but him, Zelo stares at the man and wonders what could be wrong with him. Why would he like such things as bunnies, it didn’t fit his character at all. Although, Zelo notes, he looks super cute in that suit while putting away his bunny stickers. He then looks up at Zelo and smiles, "you must be Mr. Choi."

"Yes, sir, my name is Junhong and I'm here about the job,” Zelo’s heart skips a beat as the man smiles at him. He knew that he was attracted to the same , but this is a whole different level of “attraction.” Usually for Zelo, it was just appreciating how nice they looked or admiring their personalities. There was never time when he imagined holding hands and walking down the street with them. A blush grows on Zelo’s face as he realizes that he wants to do that with this person who could potentially be his boss.

"The name's Yongguk, I see you've met my secretary."

"Oh, yes, she seems pretty nice." Zelo has forgotten about her. The girl with the really big bre- smile. Was her name Hyoyoung?

He laughs at this, "just don't get on her bad side, she'll eat you."

Junhong gulps, "e-eat me?" Zelo wonders if forgetting her name was crossing a line somewhere. Yongguk nods.

"With ketchup, that's what happened to our last employee, he didn't compliment her on her new dress and he's... Well, I'll spare you the details." Junhong looks at the direction of her office and gulps. He really didn’t want to be found in a ditch somewhere bleeding out of his eye sockets just because he forgot her name. The man in front of him starts laughing.

"You're gullible, I don't know if you can work here after all. We have people here who like to mess with the gullible."

"But I really need this job." Zelo retorts.

"Need?"

"I'd do anything to get this job." Yongguk smirks at this, an idea popping into his head.

"Anything?" Yongguk asks for clarification, Zelo nods slowing, starting to regret his rash offer. The handsome man’s smirk makes Zelo think thoughts that high school students shouldn’t be thinking. Yet all high school students have these twisted “fantasies.”

"There's a guy out there, his name is Daehyun, go out there and tell him that his voice sounds like a girl going through puberty and she got the bad side of it." Zelo stares at his potential boss in shock. Is he serious? Was it really going to be that easy?

"Then you'll give me the job?" He asks. Yongguk nods. Zelo nods in understanding and walks out of the office. He looks around and wonders which one of them is this Daehyun. There was four guys sitting at their cubicles out there. Two were goofing off about something, one was working diligently, and the other was watching the jokers with a small smle but he didn’t try to join in. He notices that there are also 4 girls sitting around talking. Hyosung smiles when she sees him and comes bounding over.

"Oh, Jello, did you get the job?"

"Not yet,” he says, frowning, “I'm looking for Daehyun."

"Tsk tsk, is Yongguk really going to let him train you? Daehyun can't even train a dog tp bark but he's over there." Hyosung points to a guy sitting with his feet on his desk, singing really off tune, but it seems like he was doing it on purpose because everyone around him was laughing. Zelo takes a deep breath and walks over to him. He looks up at Zelo and stops singing.

"Oh hi, you must be the new person," he smiles, “I’m Daehyun, what’s your name?”

Instead of replaying to his question, Zelo opens his mouth and says "Yourvoicesoundslikealittlwgirlwhowentthroughpubertythewrongway." He wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. He takes one look at Daehyun's shocked face and runs back into Yongguk office, slamming the door behind him and sitting on the floor to hide his burning red face. Yongguk looks up from his crossword puzzle and stares at him.

"Well?" He asks. The young boy glances up at his expectant face.

"I told him," Zelo whispers. Yongguk bursts out laughing again.

"You really are gullible," he muses. Zelo looks at him in shock as he realizes what had happened. Once again, Zelo was tricked into believing the words of this man.

"You tricked me."

"Not tricked, trolled. I'm kinda busy right now so please leave, if you have any questions then come see me tomorrow before work starts."

Zelo looks at him for a moment before the words sink in. "You mean..."

"Welcome to the team, Mr. Choi, I'll see you tomorrow," Yongguk winks and then goes back to his puzzle. Zelo stares at the man and wonders if he's for real. He walks out of the room in a daze and then SPLAT! something hits him in square in the face. He turns to see Daehyun sticking his tongue out at him as he holds another water balloon in his hands.

"For your information, my voice sounds like a little girl's before puberty, get it right next time," Daehyun says, throwing the water balloon at Zelo. He then smiles and says "See you tomorrow." Then he sits down and goes back to work. Something tells Zelo that he's going to like it here.

Why the name Zelo, you may ask. It's pretty simple actually, I wanted a new start. A new persona that no one knew about. A person no one from my past could ever touch, because Junhong was a boy that used to be picked on, no one liked him, no one cared. He was always the punchline of a joke, a nobody with no friends. Girls avoided him as much as they could, boys pushed him against the wall every time they saw him, teachers didn't even know he existed. Life at school for Junhong was hell. He hated it, he never wanted to go. He would fake being sick everyday but it never worked. He tries hiding in the bathrooms and janitor's closets during passing time and waiting for the late bell to ring before sauntering into class, but they eventually found his hiding places. There were times when he thought of ending everything, all the pain in his life, just disappear from the world that doesn't accept him. But his brother, the only person who understood and the only person who was always there, would put his arm around his shoulder and just say "Honggie-ah, you're strong, you've been through all this and yet you still manage to smile at mom during dinner and tell her about the wonderful day you had at school. You think you’re going through this alone, but you’re not, you have me. I’ll always be your rock.." When his brother went off to college he gave him a skateboard to keep him company. His brother told him that the skateboard would help him forget the pain without inflicting more pain on himself and on others, it'll give Junhong more joy in life. And it did, he loved that board with all his heart. He felt free while whooshing down the street on it, he felt like no one could catch him, his own lovely world where there was only him and the wind.

Until he found its pieces set into a pile on his porch, a front wheel rolled away from the rest of the debris, with a note that read "In memory of Junhong's girlfriend, may she rest in peace on her way to Hell." That night, he lost it, he had held in all those years, the bottled feelings that his brother eased the pressure out of had finally exploded after someone shook it. He was done crying over spilled milk, he was just done with everything. So while his mother was asleep, he slit his life short. Junhong ended up waking up in the hospital with a tearstained mother by his side. The bandage on his wrist marked the deed that he had failed in doing. Junhong almost didn't exist anymore, but he did and that was both disappointing and relieving. His mother demanded the whole whole story and reluctantly, he told her about the years and years of torment he faced. His now very distressed mother pulled him close and cried into his shoulder. She apologized over and over again for being a bad mother, for not noticing his issue with his classmates, for not being there for him, for sending his rock to college, for making him go to school everyday. She blamed everything on herself and he let her, even though he knew that he was the one at fault, for not telling her, for leaving her out of life, for calling her mother, for bringing these tears to her eyes, for ever being born. He wanted to apologize, but the lump in his throat kept him from doing anything but holding her.

His mother decided to move. The move did him no good but no bad either. The new people were nicer and tried to be his friend but he secluded himself and they eventually gave up. The new town Junhong was a cold kid who ate his lunch alone in the library, whose only friends were the books. He didn’t like the new school much either, people were nice but they liked to stare and whisper, the teachers gave him too much homework, and the food tasted like cow dung. He decided that there was school that would ever be a perfect match for him so Junhong left his schooling with no friends and more scars on his arms than he could count, and even more scars on his heart.

 

A/N: So this story has a very interesting concept that connects with the Foreword. The first part of the chapter will always be about Zelo's experience working with Yongguk while the second italicized part will be the journal entries that Yongguk reads, written by Zelo. I hope this doesn't confuse you, enjoy. ^-^