생각 - 수지

Love Me

 

A/N;

This chapter is going to be Suzy's POV for the events that happened in Chapter One.

She had a lot of thoughts about it as well. :)

--

Suzy felt angry as she viewed her surroundings.

  It was the first day of her sophomore year at school. A new year should bring new changes, but nothing had changed. Everything was the same since last June.

 The same kids were standing at their same spots, wearing the same clothes, talking about the same things.

  It made her sick to see such uniformity. She hated the rigidity that came along with it.

She hated clinging to anything.

  She hated clinging to this school the most. Middle school and elementary school had been smaller, so it was a lot less loud and a lot less crowded. High school was full of too many people.

She wanted to get away from the school as fast as she possibly could have.

   Ugh.

 The one and only thing she did like about the school was the pink tree in front of it.

   What was it called? Japan Blossom? A Cherry tree?

 Whatever it was, that tree made Suzy happy. Even when school had ended back in June, she had still visited the tree during the summer. The tree cooled her down in the summer heat, and in the previous winter, it had warmed her.

This tree was the only thing Suzy had an attachment to in the world.

She approached it alone and extended out her arms. She gave the tree a faint, dreamy smile and hugged it.

   “I’ve missed you,” she murmured.

She knew the tree wouldn’t reply, obviously, and proceeded to sit down on it. She hadn’t visited the tree in two weeks.

   I'm sorry. I spent quality time with my bed, back then.

She let her hands run free through the smooth bark of the tree. She comfortably smiled as she felt the familiar curves and bends.

   You’ll never leave me.

 After reconciling with the tree, Suzy felt happy. This was the only friend she had. The only friend she had ever had, for about 5 years now. Suzy had visited this tree even before she attended high school. The highschoolers back then used to think she was very strange. A 5th grader cuddling against a tree.

   Cute.

 Cute, but strange. Children usually cuddled with people. Not inanimate objects.

--

 She gazed up at the sky.

The sky seemed to be just like her. It had no friends, no companions. And whenever it tried to give others a gift, such as snow, or rain…

The people receiving the gift would run away. The sky was alone.

Suzy was alone too.

  She contemplated the sky further. It was also like her in the way that it had no purpose. It had just been placed there. Suzy too, had just been placed randomly into the world.

 She didn’t know why. She had never been told what to do, or what to become.

    At least the sky is doing what it’s supposed to do. What am I supposed to do?

   Why am I even going to school?

   I don’t have a dream. I don’t know what I want to be.

   I’m living for nothing….

   In the place of someone who had so many dreams...

She bit her lip to stop the incoming tears.

   When is this pain going to end?

  Her head ached from the memories that were running through her mind. She sighed and placed her hand gingerly on her stomach. It had been aching every day, every minute, every second. For the past 5 years.

Mental, and physical pain.

The pain in her stomach felt like hell. It was as if she had a stomach ache every single day. She knew why.

After what had happened 5 years ago, though, she had made up her mind. She would never, ever feed on a human again.

--

  The first bell for class rang, and Suzy rose groggily, as if in a trance. She entered the school and grumbled, as the putrid smell of fresh sneakers and notebooks entered her nose.

She looked around the hallway with hatred.

   You’re all the same. Each and every one of you.

She saw one kid that wasn’t stupid to her though.

Kim Jongin.

  He lived 2 houses away from Suzy, throughout his whole life, but he had no idea. She would never let him know that.

Jongin and Suzy had attended the same elementary school, middle, and now high school. They had never spoken a word to each other, though.

 Suzy thought he was absolutely gorgeous.

She watched him from a distance. She scanned his pristine profile. He was dressed in the school uniform. Even though it was lame, she thought it looked great on him.

   He’s so spiffy.

 Her eyes sparkled with interest as she viewed him high-fiving his friends and talking with them.

She noticed that even the cuffs that protruded from his school uniform were spiffy.

   Cufflinks.

 She grimaced once she noticed the shape of the cufflinks, though. Crosses. As a creature of the night, she felt an aversion to crosses. She took note of them though, and started to gain affection for the shape, simply because of Jongin.

  She liked that his eyes would crinkle into half crescents each time he smiled. She observed him as he rejoiced with the friends he hadn’t seen since the summer.

All of a sudden, his dark caramel gaze drifted to hers and they met for a moment. His eyes quickly darted away.

Suzy wasn’t surprised. He did this anytime he saw her, whether he was alone or not.

  The first few times that he had done this, Suzy would freeze in place. Her eyes would widen and she would be too shocked to even breathe. He would always give her a small, forced smile.

As if he knew how she felt.

  Years had passed, and Suzy had started to expect his stare. She thought of it as a routine. She would look at him, he would notice, and look back.

 That was it. That was all there was to their friendship.

After he looked away, Suzy sighed, and made her way into the homeroom for her class.

  Room B21. She scanned the room for familiar faces. These were all kids that she had grown up with. After 16 years, those people still didn’t know a thing about her. They simply thought of her as the weird girl. The girl who sat in front of the tree.

The girl with the eyes. The girl with no friends. They had never bullied her explicitly, but they looked to her with negative interest.

Suzy didn’t care.

She took a seat in the very back of the room. She wouldn’t able to see, because her eyesight was so terrible, but she didn’t mind. Students didn’t learn anything on the first day of school anyway.

She opened her fresh, new notebook for the school year. She took her pen out of her backpack and uncapped it. She liked the loud popping sound that came from it when she uncapped it. She smiled and put the cap back on. She took it off again.

She repeated this several times until one of her classmates shot her a dirty look. Suzy violently advanced towards her classmate, as if she was going to hit him. It was a false advance, only meant to scare him. The classmate shrunk down into his seat in fear.

   That’s right.

She took off the cap of her pen one final time and placed it on the back end. She started to doodle on her notebook.

She thought about Jongin again, and how his gaze was so different from the others. Most people would look to her with fear, or indifference.

Jongin looked to her only with interest.

   Why doesn’t he ever do anything about it though?, she wondered. She noticed that the figure that she had been doodling looked like Jongin. She stabbed it lightly with her pen in frustration. 

The late bell rang for class, and the seat to her right was still empty.

Suzy sighed with glee and proceeded to move her backpack onto the empty seat. She stopped however, when she heard the classroom door open. She turned her head around to see what was going on. A tall, lanky figure had entered the room. A student.

Suzy didn’t need to know more.

She placed her backpack back onto the floor and groaned.

--

You guys know the rest of the stuff that happens throughout the day, so I’ll skip to where she walks out of the classroom.

--

  Suzy briskly walked out of the classroom. She wanted to be as far away from Myungsoo as possible. A thin layer of sweat started to form on her forehead. The temperature in her body was rising dangerously. She didn’t know what was going on. It felt like a fever.

She had been so shocked at the sight of Myungsoo’s eyes.

She was frightened out of her mind.

   Another vampire?

 She hadn’t even thought about vampires in such a long time.

 She wasn’t prepared for his eyes.

  Those eyes that were identical in color to hers. When she had looked at them, she felt as though they were daggers that pierced through her heart.

When she looked at them, she could only think of the only other person who had the same yellow eyes as him.

--

  She thought of that person. She thought of his dead, lifeless body. The body that seemed so out of place. She remembered his yellow eyes, how she had watched them lose life right before her.

She remembered them as they looked to her for forgiveness for one last time.

That was the end.

--

 

    . It doesn’t matter whether he’s mutated, or a vampire, they’ll end up causing trouble for me. Or worse than trouble....

   Pain.

As she thought about Myungsoo, the pain in her stomach seemed to increase. She clutched it tightly and dashed out of the campus.

  She figured that if she could drown out her thoughts with music, her stomach would hurt less. The pain was starting to suffocate her. Her cheeks flushed and her excess sweat was starting to seep into her uniform. Suzy wanted to be home.

She desperately made her way to the train station.

She wanted to sit on the train and listen to her music more than anything in the world.

The train arrived just as Suzy arrived on the platform, to her relief.

She stepped onto the train, out of breath, and scanned it for seats. There weren’t any.

She didn’t care anymore. She leaned breathlessly against the closest pole, cooling herself on the metal surface.

  She immediately felt calmed by the gentle hum of the train. She plugged in her earphones, and her body started to go back to its normal state. She realized that her body was acting so weird because of how frightened she was.

   It was because of shock.

  Suzy sighed with exasperation. This kind of irregularity in her body was starting to happen more often. It was because she hadn't fed on a human. Her body was slowly deteriorating.

 The short distance from the school to the train station had felt like thousands of miles to her that day.

She shut her eyes, and was lulled to sleep by the rocking of the train.

--

Shortly, the train arrived at Suzy’s stop. She was still asleep, and would have missed her stop, if not for a slight tap on the shoulder.

Suzy’s eyes flicked open at the tap, and she scanned her surroundings.

   Jongin. The train’s at my stop. Wait.

   JONGIN!?!!?

She realized that it was Jongin who had awakened her from her slumber.

   He was on this train the whole time?!! !

  She thought of how disgusting she must have looked earlier. Her hands immediately flew to her head. She wiped the sweat off, and fixed her hair. She cringed as she felt the hair stick to her head.

She realized that Jongin was very close to her. She felt bad for him.

   I probably smell terrible.

  He was just a few centimeters away, and the constant rocking of the train caused the distance between them to lower rapidly. Her heart fluttered wildly, and threatened to jump out of her chest.

She looked up at him. He had a faint smile on his face. The doors of the train opened, as they were finally at Suzy’s stop.

Suzy was too startled to move, however. She stayed in place.

Jongin placed his hands on her fragile arms, and lightly nudged her backwards through the train. The two eventually stepped out the door.

   He woke me up…

   He knows my stop? What?

  They were out of the train now, and on the platform of their stop. Jongin’s hands were still placed gingerly on Suzy’s arms. Suzy’s took note of this, and her heart fluttered even more wildly. She looked into Jongin’s gaze.

  Jongin chuckled at the shape of . It was opened so widely. He knew that she was startled. It was quite impossible not to know, because she looked like a startled kitten.

He realized that he wanted to make her purr.

To her surprise, he abruptly his heel and walked away.

   “Everything...

    It’s going to be okay!” he cried, as he dashed away from her.

Suzy’s mouth opened even wider at his comment.

   It's...What? It's going to be okay?

   Did I even hear him correctly?

   How does he know that I’m not okay?

   Oh yeah, she realized, I was sweating like a pig.

 She pouted to herself when she remembered her appearance. She fixed her hair once again. She stood in place, however. She was too exhausted to run after him. She placed her hand above her heart, and felt it beating rapidly.

   It was a lucky guess.

   He probably just guessed that this was my stop. It’s the second to last, anyway.

 Even though she tried to put that thought in her mind, her heart didn’t stop beating at it's rapid pace.

   What’s with people and making my heart flutter today?

 She exited the train station, and walked into the familiar neighborhood that she had lived in all her life.

   No sign of Jongin.

 She slowly strode through the street, quietly observing all the things that went on in the neighborhood.

  Although she wanted to go home as quickly as possible, she couldn’t help but absorb what was going on around her. It made her sick to see that everyone was doing the same things they were doing the day before.

   Just like school.

But in a way, it was beautiful.

She smiled with pleasure as she realized that the children, who were playing with toy cars today, might end up driving them a few years later.

She made her way into a grassy abandoned strip within the neighborhood. Her house.

  She looked around for any sign of Jongin. The chances of Jongin being near her house were very rare. The chances of anyone being near her house were close to impossible.

  She was being paranoid, she knew that. She had a reason to be, though. Jongin’s recognition of her stop had startled her.

 She still didn’t understand why Jongin would know her stop.

   Whatever.

 Having successfully seen no one around her house, she entered it.

It had the musty old look of a haunted house. Suzy had never bothered to clean any part of it other than her room. And the kitchen.

The kitchen was basically her bedroom. She spent most of her time there, eating, doing homework, sometimes even sleeping.

  Suzy dropped her backpack onto the floor. She was exhausted from those little interactions she had with Myungsoo and Jongin. She hadn’t interacted with anyone so much in years. It was exciting.

And frightening.

 She tried to contemplate Jongin’s motives again. She failed.

  Suzy sighed and opened the quaint little fridge that was placed in the middle of the wall. She slipped out a carton of strawberry milk and finished it in one gulp.

She squinted her eyes and aimed the carton at a nearby trashcan. She threw clumsily, and in turn, missed. It thudded against the ground.

Suzy groaned.

   I’ll clean it up later.

 Suzy started to feel restless. She couldn’t make sense of any of the things that had happened that day. She hated not being able to make sense of it.

It frustrated her.

  Why was this kind of thing happening to her all of a sudden? She didn’t want to bother these people with her problems. She felt bad for them, because they had interacted with her. She felt bad for Myungsoo, who had probably gone through the same agony she had.

   Was he born a vampire? Or did he turn into one?

She also wondered if he ate fed on humans.

She whined quietly to herself as she realized the reality of the situation. The only way that she could answer these questions was to interact with Myungsoo. She didn’t want to do that.

But at the same time, she did...

She just didn’t want to hurt him.

She decided that she would be nice to him.

   He hasn’t done anything wrong to me. He’s just a little strange, she concluded.

   And prissy, she added, after remembering how pushy he was about being acquainted with her.

  She was flattered by the interest Myungsoo had in her, but she decided that it was better not to let him know that. She then wondered why that kind of thing even mattered. Interacting with vampires, or mutated people never ended with good results for Suzy.

  She thought of the incoming day of school. Since they were in the same homeroom, they would have all their classes together. She groaned with anxiety. She felt so upset that her quiet life had been disturbed. She wasn’t ready for a full day with Myungsoo.

Where had he even come from? She hadn’t seen him in the school throughout her freshman year.

  None of her questions seemed like they could be answered. She groaned with frustration and started to take her clothes off. She let out an exasperated sigh as she felt the fabric of her clothing. It was sticky with sweat. She hadn’t realized how much sweat had accumulated on her clothes until now.

  She clucked with disapproval and made a mental note to wash them later. She placed all of her clothes neatly on the kitchen table and proceeded to enter her bathroom.

  The light autumn breeze drafted through the open window, and Suzy shivered. She started the tap that hung over the bathtub, and prepared for a bath.

She realized that she hadn’t taken a bath in a while, only brisk showers.

   Since when was my life ever hectic?

She opened the cabinets and searched for bath soaps. She had bought a few from the market the previous week, and wanted to try them out.

She hadn’t expected her bath to be because of stress, though.

   I've only felt so much stress since this morning, though...

It was still only about noon. Her day had felt much longer than that.

--

She finally found a soap that satisfied her desires, a strawberry scented one.

   Just like my milk.

She grinned to herself and dumped the contents of the soap into the bathtub. She stopped the tap when the tub was full.

  She entered the bathtub, shivering at the change of temperature that was occurring. Once her body was in the tub, she shivered further. The cold air outside the tub contrasted roughly with the lukewarm water that was inside. She submerged further into the water, and moaned with pleasure as she was engulfed by the warmth.

She finally felt calm. Her mind drifted on to other irrelevant thoughts.

She remembered the clothes that she had taken off in the kitchen.

   What a strange place to undress yourself. She remembered the kitchen table.

   What a strange place to put dirty clothes...

   I’m going to have to wipe down the table later, she thought.

   I’m going to have to wash the clothes too. And throw out the milk.

   Hmm. Teens with parents wouldn’t have to do this, huh?

   What would it be like to have parents?

She cursed herself for yearning for things she didn’t deserve.

 

   Monsters don’t deserve parents. Or love.

 

Suzy shut her eyes tightly and submerged completely into the bathwater.

--

Suzy took a look in her drawer while she attempted to dry her wet locks. She had just stepped out of her bath, and felt overwhelmed by the freezing gusts of wind that drafted through her home. She needed something warm to wear.

As she ruffled through her drawer, she noticed that she was starting to run out of clean clothes.

   Ugh.

She chose a cream colored turtle neck and a plaid dress to layer it.

   This will have to do.

 Once she finished changing, she realized that she had nothing to do. There had been no homework assigned that day, nothing to do. Nothing to study.

She gazed up at the grimy window that was placed above the dresser. She suddenly had an urge to go outside.

She did.

She dashed up the staircase of her house, passing the second floor, and then the third. She opened the door to the rooftop of her house. She walked out onto it, and proceeded to lean against the edge of the rooftop.

The freezing wind ruffled through her hair. Since her hair was still wet, it felt like icicles against Suzy's already cold skin.

She yearned to have something that could warm her.

   No... Monsters don't deserve to be warmed, or comforted. She sighed.

Her hair repeatedly whipped against her face. She flinched at the pain, it had hurt her. It was as if she was being slapped by a cold pair of hands. Cold, black, hairy hands.

   Wait.. What?

She grimaced as she realized what a strange person she was.

Undressing herself in a random place like the kitchen, hyperventilating because of a pair of eyes, and now imagining herself being slapped by hairy hands.

   Blaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

She crossed her arms in an attempt to keep herself warm.

Suzy started to think about Myungsoo again.

   Is he as sensitive to the cold as I am? Is he as unhealthy as me?

She remembered the dead body. Tears threatened to flood out of her eyes for the second time that day.

  She impulsively placed one leg on the ledge of the rooftop, and then the other. She stepped onto the ledge of the rooftop. She gazed down below her and felt adrenaline course through her veins. She rarely ever felt this way.

She had only felt this way 5 years ago.

   …..And with Jongin just before…

   And Myungsoo?

She wasn’t sure if they made her feel excited. The only thing she felt sure of was that she felt excited now, on the rooftop.

  She walked carelessly along the ledge, extending her arms out for balance. She knew it was dangerous to walk on such a small surface. The ledge only fit one of her feet on it at a time, so it had the feeling of a balance beam.

She brushed her left foot against the edge of the house, causing the shoe on it to slip off.

Her eyes shrunk into half crescents as she watched it thud against the soft grass. She was happy to see it fall.

Four floors. The height from the rooftop to the ground was quite frightening.

She smiled to herself, and proceeded to do the same with the second. She kicked off her second shoe, and watched it spiral down to the ground.

   What a nice way to fall.

She smiled as the violent wind whipped through her hair.

 She thought of Myungsoo’s eyes once again.

She tightly shut her own, and jumped.