Change

We Are Brothers

 

 

 

 

One evening, Seungho came home late from work. He was excited to go home that evening after a long day, even whistling while walking.

 

He was just a few steps from their apartment when he noticed someone at the door. To his surprise, it was Byunghee who was sprawled out lifeless at their doorstep with blood on his forehead.

 

Byunghee! Byunghee! Oh my god...” Seungho tried to shake him a few time but he didn't respond. Seungho checked Bunghee's body for other wounds and injuries, but there doesn't seem to be any. He continued to shake Byunghee until...

 

Uuugh...” Byunghee moaned and grimaced.

 

Seungho let out a sigh of relief. “Oh my god Byunghee! Can you stand up? Can you walk?”

 

Byunghee just nodded in response. Seungho immediately helped Byunghee up and half-dragged him to his room. He took off Byunghee's clothes and shoes, and got shocked with what he saw: there were bruises in Byunghee's arms and chest, like he was beaten up, but nothing serious. He immediately went out to get a towel and water to clean his wounds. By the time he finished cleaning Byunghee, he was already asleep.

 

The next day while Seungho was cooking breakfast, Byunghee came walking out of his room groaning and clutching his head. Seungho ran to his side immediately and assisted him to sit down, but Byunghee turned down his help nicely. “I can manage man...I'm just having a terrible headache! Argh!” Byunghee complained.

 

Seungho sat in front of him and looked at his head carefully without touchim him. “What happened to you anyway? You scared me big time, you know! You were sprawled out in our doorstep unconscious, and you looked like you got beaten up....” Seungho explained.

 

It's nothing...just some ill-tempered customer...Nothing new.” Byunghee replied as he scanned the bruises in his arms.

 

Seungho just sighed. “Have you ever thought of quiting that job and getting a safer one?”

 

Byunghee massaged his temples and grimaced in pain as he replied, “Where will I find a good-paying job that would not require a good educational background. Tell me?”

 

If you want, you could have 2 part time jobs like mine-”

 

That wouldn't work for me. I don't like those kind of jobs. And besides, my boss wouldn't like it if I leave. I'm his favorite man.” Byunghee retaliated.

 

But look at this Byunghee, what if this happens again? And worst, what if a psycho poses as your customer and decides to kill you?”

 

Byunghee chuckled at Seungho's words, 'You're worrying too much Seungho. There is no problem that I can't handle. Whatever happens, I have my boss to back me up so just relax.” Byunghee said with a smile. But at the back of Byunghee's mind, his fear for his own safety was lingering.

 

Seungho just sighed and nodded. He thought Byunghee was old enough to make his own decisions, and if he's not convinced of Seungho's argument then he can't do anything about it. He returned to what he was doing earlier – preparing breakfast – and after which they shared a healthy breakfast meal. Seungho kept it mind to look for ways to help Byunghee out of that business.



 

 

One night, Byunghee was in his room and was about to change into his pajamas when Seungho popped out of nowhere with a big smile on his face as flashing a bunch of papers to Byunghee.

 

Guess what? I found out a way for us to have a better life! A co-worker told me a qualifying exam to certify us that we are fit for college, and that if we get certified we can easily apply for college! You might be thinking 'where in the world are we going to get the money to pay for college?'? I took the liberty of looking for scholarship programs that would suit us, and I found several groups offering scholarship programs for orphans like us!” Seungho explained with much overflowing joy.

 

But Byunghee just gave him a weird look, then chuckled at him as if mocking him.

 

Think about it Byunghee! This will be our ticket to getting better and good-paying jobs! Isn't it cool?” Seungho lamented as he held Byunghee's shoulders and shook him lightly.

 

Byunghee pushed Seungho out of his way and busied himself with preparing his clothes as he talked, “You think I wasn't able to study because I don't have the money? Heck, I can ask one of my customers to pay for my tuition and they would even guarantee me a job after I graduated! But I don't have the endurance nor the brains nor the heart to study. So just forget it. If you want, you could do it on your own. I'm not interested.”

 

C'mon Bunghee! You know being an wouldn't be a lifetime job! You'll get old, and your customers will refuse your services eventually! And besides, your safey is at risk in that kind of job. Do you really want to stay in that job for long? Don't you imagine yourself working in an office, or as a manager or president of the company or something?”

 

Byunghee snorted at Seungho and raised his brow, “I don't have the brains for that. Take the exam if you want.” With that Byunghee pushed Seungho out of his room and locked it.

 

But Seungho would not give up on Byunghee that easily. “You're smart Byunghee! You're smart and clever, you can totally nail this exam! Think about it Byunghee, this is our chance to a better life!”

 

Byunghee didn't respond to Seungho's words. He showed Seungho that he was not interested, but at the back of his mind Seungho's words kept on bugging him: is this really my way out of this screwed-up hell-hole I placed myself in?



 

 

The following day, Byunghee was surprised to find out that Seungho left early for work. But he left an accomplished exam application form. It only needs Byunghee's signature, and it's ready for submission.

 

Byunghee looked at the form long and hard, glancing at the note 'deadline in 3 days' at the side. His restrictions on taking the exam kept on pestering him: like how his manager would handle Byunghee's resignation, how they'll earn money while they are studying, and the like. After a while, he gave up on worrying and left the application form in the table and prepared for work.



 

 

Night before the deadline for the submission of application, Byunghee and Seungho were having a late diner in silence. The silence surrounding them almost choked Byunghee to death, so he decided to break the ice.

 

So...If we do get certified and we get the scholarship, how are we suppose to earn money?”

 

Seungho's eyes suddenly sparkled as he answered Byunghee, “We could work part time as a student assistant, or we could work in cafes or something. Or you could leave it all to me, I can work things out to get us money!” Seungho said with all excitement.

 

Byunghee remained silent, while seungho waited eagerly for his next words.

 

Alright, I'll take the freakin' exam.” Byunghee suddenly said with his poker face on as he looked at his food.

 

Seungho jumped in joy at Byunghee's response. “You made the right decision Byunghee! Things will go our way soon, you'll see!” Seungho wrapped his arms around Byunghee's shoulders. Byunghee just gave him a fake smile, which caused a breakout of laughter from Seungho.