Giving Back

We Are Brothers

 

 

 

 

Jin Ju rushed to the hospital when she received a call in the middle of the night from a nurse informing her that Seungho was in the hospital. When she reached the ER, she immediately heard Seungho's voice as he shouted; so she rushed towards the source of his voice.

 

Please, I'm alright! Let me see Bunghee! Please!” Seungho pleaded as the medical staff tried to hold him down to the bed.

 

Please sir, calm down! We have to clean and dress your wounds first!” the nurse commanded Seungho.

 

Seungho continued to struggle free, until he saw a familiar face in the crowd.

 

Seungho! Calm down, calm down...” Jin Ju rushed towards Seungho and hugged him against her chest.

 

Jin Ju....” Seungho stopped struggling and hugged Jin Ju tightly, sobbing softly as he burried his face in her chest.

 

Ssshhh...It's alright. Calm down.” Jin Ju patted Seungho's back as she hushed him.

 

Jin Ju...They hurt Byunghee...” Seungho cried like a child. “I want to see him...Let me go see him, please...” Seungho said as he pushed Jin Ju softly.

 

Jin Ju held Seunho's shoulders and looked him straight in the eye. “Seungho, you must let the doctors fix you first before we go to Bunghee, OK? I'll make sure he's-”

 

I'm alright! I'm fine! Please...Let me see Byunghee now...” Seungho insisted, tears streaming down his cheeks as he looked at Jin Ju and pleaded.

 

But Jin Ju slowly pushed Seungho's body to lay down and tapped his chest. “No Seungho. You look pretty bad yourself...Let the doctors fix you first, then we'll check on Byunghee.” Jin Ju cupped Seungho's face as she talked.

 

Seungho just sighed in defeat and slumped his body to the bed. The medical staff approached him gently and started cleaning up his wounds as Jin Ju held his arms to calm him down.

 

The staff were just halfway in treating Seungho's wounds when they heard someone calling out outside, “Where are Jung Byunghee's relatives?”

 

Seungho immediately shot up and made his way towards the person calling out. He moved so fast, Jin Ju didn't have the chance to hold him down, so she just followed behind him.

 

I am! How is he?” Seungho said.

 

We're going to send him to the operating room now to close his stab wounds and check for other damages. If you could just sign some papers here before we do-”

 

OK. Do whatever you can to save him, please.” Seungho said as he grabbed the pen and papers from the staff and started signing the documents.

 

After signing all the necessary documents, Byunghee was immediately transferred to the operating room while Seungho and Jin Ju following behind.

 


 

 

After an hour or so, the doctor came out of the operating room and talked to Seungho.

 

Doctor, how is he?” Seungho asked nervously.

 

The doctor sighed then looked at Seungho. “We were able to fix some of the internal wounds he had. However, the weapon lacerated Byunghee's kidneys pretty badly. We removed his severely damaged right kidney, but we retained the left kidney for the meantime since it still has a little portion that functions well. However, we still have to replace this left kidney, or else he'll die. This means he has to undergo a kidney transplant. Unfortunately, we don't have an available kidney in our institution for the meantime; so we sent a request for a kidney to be delivered to our institution. We were informed just a few minutes ago that the kidney is now on its way. For the meantime, we'll send Byunghee to the ICU until the kidney arrives and we could proceed with the surgery.”

 

Seungho felt as if his heart got crushed as the doctor explained Byunghee's current condition. “T-thank you doctor...Please do everything you can to save him.” Seungho tried to hold his tears as he pleaded.

 

The doctor just tapped Seungho's back to comfort him and sighed, “We'll do our best to save him.” With that, the doctor left.

 

As soon as the doctor left, Seungho broke down and cried. Jin Ju burried Seungho in her embrace, as Seungho let his heart out.

 


 

 

Seungho's eyes were suddenly wet with tears again when he saw Byunghee all weak and helpless in the hospital bed, with different tubes and beeping machines around him. Jin Ju caressed Seungho's back to calm him down, but Seungho couldn't help but sob at Byunghee's state. After a while, Jin Ju excused herself and went to the restroom, leaving Seungho and Byunghee alone.

 

Seungho entered Byunghee's room and stood beside his bed to give him a closer look. A smile crept out of Seungho's face seeing Byunghee's peaceful aura even with a tube inserted through his mouth and nose. He gently brushed Byunghee's hair aside repeatedly, his eyes fixed on Byunghee's face.

 

You'll be fine Byunghee. I'll make sure you will be.” Seungho whispered to Byunghee.

 

Not long after, Seungho's phone rang. He ran outside to answer the call, passing by Jin Ju who was on her way back to Byunghee's room. Jin Ju gave him a confused look, but Seungho didn't look back at her so she just went on her way. Sh settled herself on a reclining chair beside Byunghee's bed and watched Byunghee while he waited for Seungho's return.

 

After a few minutes, Seungho came back to the room with his face all flushed.

 

Jin Ju immediately stood up and approached Seungho. “Is there something wrong?” Jin Ju asked worriedly.

 

Seungho lifted his head and looked at Jin Ju with a smile.

 

No...nothing's wrong.”

 

He wrappped his arms around her waist and held Jin Ju close to him. Jin Ju hugged him tight in return. After a while, Seungho pushed her back a bit and looked at her with a smile.

 

I have to leave for a while, OK? Can you look out for Byunghee for a moment, please?” Seungho asked in a sweet voice.

 

Jin Ju gave him a worried look. “But your wounds are still fresh! Where are you going?”

 

I..I just have to get something.” Seungho replied as he hugged Jin Ju tight against his chest.

 

Jin Ju remained silent for a while, hesitant to let Seungho go. “Does it have to be now? Can't you do it tomorrow, after you have a goodnight rest?”

 

I cannot delay this until tomorrow. I have to leave now.” Seungho calmly replied, with a hint of plead in his voice.

 

Jin Ju let out a deep sigh as her cheeks remained burried against Seungho's chest. “I guess there is nothing I could say that can stop you from going...” Jin Ju replied, sounding a bit sad with her decision.

 

Seungho let out a soft chuckle, then he hugged Jin Ju tightly. “Thank you.” He whispered to her as he kissed her head.

 

You may go, but please be careful! Your wounds are still fresh...” Jin Ju's worried tone made Seungho chuckle a bit.

 

Alright, alright. Don't worry too much, love.”

 

After a few minutes of silence as they burried themselves in each other's embrace, Seungho leaned back and looked deep into Jin Ju's eyes.

 

Slowly, Seungho inched his face closer to Jin Ju's face, until the tips of their noses touched. Seungho and Jin Ju's eyes locked for sometime, exploring each other's beauty for a while.

 

With one swift motion, Seungho's lips met Jin Ju's; and with that, they savored a passionate kiss.

 

A few minutes of intense kissing, Seungho broke off the kiss. Again, he looked deep into Jin Ju's eyes, with the tip of their noses brushing softly against each other, and then gave her one of his most beautiful smiles ever. Jin Ju chuckled at Seungho's handsomeness.

 

I love you very, very much Jin Ju.”

 

The smile in Jin Ju's face grew wider upon hearing Seungho's sweet and genuine words.

 

I love you very, very much Seungho.”

 

They both chuckled softly after that exchange of vows, before Seungho gave Jin Ju a big, tight hug.

 

After a while, Seungho went beside Byunghee and talked to him for a while.

 

Be strong, ok buddy? You have to get well very soon...You still have to become the president of your company, right? So make sure you'll get better, alright?” Seungho's tears suddenly welled up in his eyes when he didn't hear any response.

 

Hang in there, man...Hang in there...” With that, he gave Byunghee a big smile and held his hands tight, feeling Byunghee's hands against him for a while.

 

After a few minutes, Seunhgo bid farewell leaving Byunghee and Jin Ju in the room.

 


 

 

Ten minutes after Seungho left, the doctor came rushing into Byunghee's room...

 

Excuse me, may I speak to Mr. Yang please?” The doctor asked, with an obvious urgency in his voice.

 

Oh, he just left a while ago to get something. Is there something wrong, doctor?” Jin Ju asked nervously.

 

Well, apparently, someone hijacked the ambulance that had Byunghee's kidney for transplant. The police are now trying to catch the culprits, but we are not sure how long it would take for them to settle the matter. And because Mr. Jung needs the transplant as soon as possible, I thought maybe you or Mr. Yang can be a donors.”

 

Oh, then I'll try to call him, doctor. For the meantime, you can run the test on me.”

 

OK, that'll be great. Let me show you where the laboratory is.” the doctor lead Jin Ju's way.

 

Jin Ju bowed in appreciation to the doctor, while she continued contacting Seungho's phone.

 


 

 

It's been an hour since the tests were finished, and an hour since Jin Ju started calling Seungho; but until now, Seungho hasn't been answering his phone. Jin Ju was getting irritated at Seungho's lack of response already; but she is more worried than irritated as to at what keeps Seungho busy.

 

A few minutes later, the results came out already. Unfortunately, Jin Ju did not a qualify as a donor. This made her more persistent to contact Seungho.

 

To ease out her growing tension due to worryring too much, she went out of the hospital to get some fresh air.

 

She was stood near the entrance of the emergency room, trying to calm herself down as she called Seungho. She kept pacing around and fiddled as she waited for him to answer.

 

Where are you?” Jin Ju mumbled as she waited for Seungho to pick up.

 

While waiting, she noticed the arrival of an ambulance in the ER entrance. She looked away eventually and went back to pacing around as she tried to call seungho.

 

Suddenly, she heard a familiar ringtone filling up the air. She felt her heart beating faster upon hearing that familiar sound. Eventually the sound disappeared, then she ended the call to Seungho.

 

She redialed Seungho's number and, to her surprise, that familiar sound was heard again. Just then she realized,

 

It was the same as Seungho's ringtone!

 

She looked around her and tried to see where it was coming from, but there was no one around her nor anyone near her. She called Seungho a few times, and his ringtone filled the air everytime she does so.

 

She followed the sound, letting her feet drag her to where the sound was coming from. When she looked up, she was surprised to see herself near the ambulance which was parked in the ER entrance.

 

When the doors of the ambulance opened, the ringtone became louder, scaring the hell out of Jin Ju.

 

She ended the call and tried to call Seungho again, watching the paramedics as they pulled out the stretcher. To her surprise Seungho's ringtone filled the air more loudly. She slowly approached the commotion in front of her, letting the call progress as she walked towards them.

 

Her heart suddenly raced when the patient's hand dropped on the side, revealing a watch that looked exactly the same as Seungho's.

 

She walked closer behind the patient's stretcher to verify and, to her surprise, it sure was the source of the ringtone!

 

She walked closer to get a good look at the patient at the stretcher, but the oxygen mask blocked the patient's face and the paramedic hindered the view. And so she took a deep breath as she motioned for the paramedic to stop, allowing her to get a closer look at the patient.

 

She felt as if a bucket of cold water was splashed on her body when she saw the patient's face...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was Seungho.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________

This is how the Seungho-Jin Ju moment looked like (@v@)

 Just a few more chapters before the ending...